Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2002 9:12:41 PM EDT
You guys think we need an "Employment Exchange" here at AR15.com ???

This just FU*KING SUCKS !!!

I was supporting a wife and 4 little girls on my income...
Kids are 9, 6, 2, & 9mos...

Time to go job hunting...

We should be able to survive on un-employment, but not for too long...
Looking for another Industial Maintenance position, or maybe a gun industry related position...
Will re-locate if needed, provided it's a gun friendly C3 state...

Am / Was working for Tyco Electronics, Hub Fabricating division...

The small family run company I originally worked for, was bought up by Tyco Intl. about 1.5 years ago...
Seems they make it a habit of swallowing up the little guy, then shutting them down...
2 years ago, we had over 300+
employees...
With all the layoffs in the last few months, we're now down to about 75 total...
Whole place will probably be shut down soon...

Just lost my 64 year old Father 2 months ago to a heart attack, and now this...

What next ???
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#2]
SCHIESSE!!!
 It sux being unemployed.  Art, would yu like the Carlisle/Harrisburg classifieds sent?  it would be a long commute, but doable until you found something closer.. or bought the 15 acres behind me and built something.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:39:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome, brother.

Unemployed Union
Local #556
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:54:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Getting laid off sucks!  Sorry to hear it.  I have been laid off several times and know how depressing it is. I had small children at the time also.  I lost my job about six months after I bought my house, my nerves were really shot that time.  I was so upset I couldn't talk to anyone for about 3 days. Do what you have to do to get by, odd jobs etc.  Hopefully everything will work out for you and you'll find a better job.  I hope the scum in management that did this to you (and your family) get the ax some day so they'll get to see what it feels like.  Management people are only concerned with the bottom line.  They don't care about the people who do the work to make their products.  They couldn't make the products without us blue collar workers.  If my union went on strike the salaried workers wouldn't know how to turn the machines on.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Not to make light of a serious issue but, I am getting laid this week.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:17:10 PM EDT
[#6]
What's really funny is, I work for a Union shop, and I got "bumped" by a less qualified person...

They stuck me with a helper about a month ago, because his job as a production welder was eliminated...

I never knew it, but after someone is in an appointed position for 30+ days, they can stay there, without any chance of removal...

This guy has been with the company for 18+ years, but makes about $2 an hour less than I do...
His 18 years at the company is equal to 1 year experience 18 times over...

I've only been there 2 years, but yet I run circles around this guy..
This guy is a total dirtbag,(smells bad) and can't figure out how to do anything without my help...

I've built automatic transmissions, and 1000+hp racing engines for fun as a hobby, and built unimaginable projects at work...
This guy that is replacing me, is only capable of fixing toilets and changing lightbulbs...

In the Union shop. it doesn't matter if you know anything, it only matters how long you've been there...

Basically, I just semi-trained my replacement...

I guess the saying goes:
"Nice guys finish last"
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:22:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In the Union shop. it doesn't matter if you know anything, it only matters how long you've been there...
View Quote

Should've stayed a scab.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#8]
That sucks.  I know what you mean about union shops.  I was so glad to get out of it when I was CWA and be able to rise on my own merrits, not how long I'd been "doing time".  I was and am so down on unions since that experience.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:30:33 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

First time, eh, 1GUNRUNNER?  If you need some pointers, let me know.

Well, I just passed the 2 month mark since being laid off.  My sympathies to everyone in the same boat.  Maybe GoatBoy should add an Employment forum until the economy picks up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Watch out for Honeywell then, TYCO is about to buy them.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

First time, eh, 1GUNRUNNER?  If you need some pointers, let me know.

View Quote

Yea, She says it hurts too bad after the first eight inches; should I stop or just keep giving?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:47:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Just tell her you're hung like a baby.

7  lbs
21 inches
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't they make trains?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:53:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yea, She says it hurts too bad after the first eight inches; should I stop or just keep giving?
View Quote

'Tis better to give...[sex]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 11:00:54 PM EDT
[#15]
both me and the wife been laid off since dec 19.Looks like we will be dalled back the 18 for work on 21 of jan. It is getting long. If any body is looking Polaris where i work is hiring now and we can have guns i mn housing is cheap and you live in the sticks.  www.polarisindustries.com look there for employment opps.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 11:21:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't they make trains?
View Quote

MANY, many years ago, they were known for their choo choo trains...

Nowadays, they're known for their aggressive business tactics...

They are larger than General Motors right now...
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 11:51:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Nine months and counting.  Be glad you're not in Seattle;  unemployment was 7% *before* Boeing laid off 30K people.  At this rate, I'll have to move to Maine to find a job.

BTW, I saw in the news the other day that Tyco said they had no interest in buying Honeywell -- the rumor was false.  Did something change again??
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:12:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

BTW, I saw in the news the other day that Tyco said they had no interest in buying Honeywell -- the rumor was false.  Did something change again??
View Quote

No telling what they intend from one day to the next...

I think SOP is to just buy-up their competition, suck all the assets out, fold them under, and use them as a tax write-off...
They purchased several telecommunications cabinet production lines from Lucent when they first came to our company, and have since stopped production on them...
Funny how that works...[rolleyes]
Typical big business bullshit...  

I do remember seeing articles in our company newsletter regarding Honeywell...
I thought they were already aquired by Tyco...            
Maybe just another BS rumor floated out to the public to have a favorable effect on their stock price...
Tyco operates using "Smoke and mirrors" if you know what I mean...
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:30:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Believe it or not, I've actually been thinking for awhile, of getting into law enforcement...
I might be a little too old at 34 though...Bum knee won't help either...

Actually was thinking maybe Armed Security or something along those lines...

My Dad was a cop for 35 years, and retired in '95 as Chief of Police... So I have LEO blood in me...

Also have 3 younger bothers (24,29 & 32 yrs old) that have wanted to start some form of a family business in the future...Just don't know what line of work yet...
All of us have been fairly successfull on our own, but I feel we have a lot of potential as a group...
24 yr old bro makes 100+K yr...
29 yr old makes 50K yr...
32 yr old makes 80+K yr...
Me at 34, I make zip...

I feel between the 4 of us we should be able to come up with something profitable...
The one common denominator between all 4 of us is common sense...

I'll have to wait and see what comes of this...

I've always believed...
"Everything happens for a reason"
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 1:50:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What's really funny is, I work for a Union shop, and I got "bumped" by a less qualified person...

They stuck me with a helper about a month ago, because his job as a production welder was eliminated...

I never knew it, but after someone is in an appointed position for 30+ days, they can stay there, without any chance of removal...

This guy has been with the company for 18+ years, but makes about $2 an hour less than I do...
His 18 years at the company is equal to 1 year experience 18 times over...

I've only been there 2 years, but yet I run circles around this guy..
This guy is a total dirtbag,(smells bad) and can't figure out how to do anything without my help...

I've built automatic transmissions, and 1000+hp racing engines for fun as a hobby, and built unimaginable projects at work...
This guy that is replacing me, is only capable of fixing toilets and changing lightbulbs...

Basically, I just semi-trained my replacement...

I guess the saying goes:
"Nice guys finish last"
View Quote

Isnt being in a union great! Im a Electrician with Chrysler and merit means nothing. Thats one of the biggest reasons that the foriegn/non-union competition is eating our lunch. The UAW will go to bat for any and every scumbag and doper who fucks up but wont address the worthless bag lickers who do nothing. Now they have even turned me into one by appathy. The UAW is PART, not all, but a BIG PART of reason for the continuing decline the big three and will happily and slowly choke the golden goose to death. Im not anti union. I just want them to be willing to police the membership and call a spade a spade.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:43:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Hang in there Art!  I've been through it several times, and MAY be getting to go through it again. I'll know by the end of THIS WEEK!
I've found that you will usually end up with a better job than you had before. It still sucks rocks though.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:51:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:38:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Striker....do you post on Canoes Politics fourm??
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 5:07:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Hang in there Art!!  

Sadly, to big business everyone is just a number.  Mergers are legal destruction of a company.

SCABS = Targets
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 5:13:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 6:22:45 AM EDT
[#26]
dude, i havn't had a GOOD job for years. the best i could get is
1) full time driver/finisher/baker at drunkin dognuts. this after three years experience, i make a whopping 7.00/hr.. AND

2) working for a contractor for the cable company, if there is work i gat paid quite well here, but right now i am lucky if i get one days work a week. about 50-100 dollars on average. (durring a boom time though, its f*in GREAT, 600 dollar paychecks every week.)

i honestly think i would be better off on welfare.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:42:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I hope the scum in management that did this to you (and your family) get the ax some day so they'll get to see what it feels like.  Management people are only concerned with the bottom line.  They don't care about the people who do the work to make their products....
View Quote

That's a pretty broad brush.  I have worn both collars and there are good and bad in both.

FWIW, I was in management when corporate began talking about layoffs.  I instituted a retraining program and found jobs for some of my guys.  Corporate also wanted to layoff some guys near retirement and asked me to cross some lines that I won't cross.  I accepted a layoff in order that the guys could get their retirement.  Although technically they worked for me, we were a team and my job was to help them whenever and however possible.  They are also my friends and I am still in contact with them.  Still looking after almost six months, but I WILL find employment.

SRM
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:30:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Go for it Art. 34 isn't to old. I'm 37 and would leave corrections in a heart beat for a job on the street. I'm waiting for a PD in a nearby city to start recruiting again.
Have you ever thought about being a correctional officer? I'm not sure what the money is like where you are but job security is good.
View Quote

Money isn't too bad around here...
Tyco is paying me $18.80 an hour right now...Don't know how easy it will be to match that...
The shop is only 8 minutes from home, and 1 minute from my Mom's place...
There are 2 large prisons, and a nuclear plant within 30 minutes of me...
Graterford prison, Berks County prison, and Limerick Nuclear Power plant...
Might be same or more money at these places...
Gotta look into getting firearms certified first I think...

Getting dirty/busting ass is getting old...I've been doing it since I was 15 years old...

Might be time for a new line of work...
I did work a few months for Limerick Nuke Security when I was 18...  

I think I'm 'gonna shop around...
I need a minimum of 35k yr to at least survive...
Luckily, I just recently got all my finances in order, and have no bills other than a $550 a month mortgage and utilities...
I've seen this coming for months, but didn't think it would get so bad as to cut into my department...
Guess I was wrong...
Glad I prepared...  
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#30]
 Art, you have mail.  Wanna be the boss?
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Motorola sent my job to China two months ago. I hope to read in the news soon that Chris Galvin jumped off the Sears Tower, and that Motorola stock has fallen to $.15.

I am a hardcore "conservative" capitalist, but I am sick of hearing about the little guy getting screwed over.

It seems that nice guys DO finish last.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Hey Art, I work for a Tyco Company in the Cleveland area.  They are brutal for aquiring and firing.  We had the axe man around last year and chopped a few heads.  Some with 20+years in the company.  Job and security sure don't go together these days.  Tyco does pay well so I'm hangin for a while.  We just merged with another Tyco aquisition and it's not going well country wide.  Hang in there.  I always say there are thousands of cars heading north on the freeway every morning, and they all stop at different places.  Just got to stop at a different place eh?

Best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:04:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Bump someone with less than 2 years, and wait for an opening back in what you do. Scrubbing toilets in a union shop waiting for your real job back beats hungry kids.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#35]
I represent the employer in labor arbitrations a lot. (Arbitrations are mini trials conducted before a private judge sort of person under the NRLA and CBA)
You would never believe who gets their jobs back. You really cannot get fired for real from a union job.
Stealing? Dope? Punching out a co-worker/supervisor? Getting high in a dozer truck and wrecking over $200k worth of parked cars cause you are too high to know you are hitting them? Still employed.
A little while ago there was a surgical tech who--no joke, not puffing up the story--could not go ONE entire operation without breaking the field at least once.
The patients could die or get bad infections easily...no joke...
firing converted to 1 month off, and this was the techs second rehiring, she had also gotten her job back after a release from jail prior to that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Art,
How close are you to Philly? My Co. may be looking for someone in that area(across the river in NJ). Shoot me an email if you get a chance and I'll keep my eyes open for something for you in the mean time.
[email protected]
J
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 6:54:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the offers guys, and I read your Email Specops(didn't have time to reply yet)...

I need to stay fairly local...
30 mins or less drive...

If I have to go to the trouble of re-locating, I will head South to Mooresville, NC...
My youngest brother works for a Nascar team down there (RYR), and could probably get my foot in the door at his shop or another top team's shop...
Nascar teams pay VERY well...
Just another option I'm considering...
Probably could start around 50K+ in an entry level "specialized position"...

Anyone know if NC is C3 friendly ?
I've got a suppressed M11/9 paid for and on it's way soon...
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Hey Art - glad you are considering REAL racing instead of the string thing!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Hey Art - glad you are considering REAL racing instead of the string thing!!
View Quote

Only disadvantage is I won't be able to drive the car...[:)]

Dragracing is ALOT of fun if you drive a fast car...
Don't knock it 'till you try it[:)]

No way to describe the starting line G-force felt when accelerating a 3100lb car to 160 MPH in 8.46 seconds !!!
First 60 ft are covered in 1.21 seconds !!!
Got out of it about a year ago and sold the drag car a few months ago...

"Evil" guns are my hobby now...
Much more affordable than Dragracing...
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Art,

Have you tried Quality?   I went into quality after I lost my job in the last recession.  QC is LEO for manufacturing, and the best part is you can always find work.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:57:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Art,

Have you tried Quality?   I went into quality after I lost my job in the last recession.  QC is LEO for manufacturing, and the best part is you can always find work.
View Quote

Would I get to carry a gun ? [:D]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:55:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Art, just pulling your chain a little!!  Done the string thing (A SS), wet 1/4 - top fuel hydro & Fuel Jet as well as Limited Hydros which go round and round.  Had a Late Model toilet bowl car for a few years too.  Damn hard work, sucks up MAJOR cash!!

Link Posted: 1/16/2002 12:57:12 PM EDT
[#43]
I TOTALLY know how you feel man...
It's been about a month since I was laid-off.
I am lucky to get a small severance package (1 month plus 9 weeks or regular pay).
I have applied to 2 thats right 2 places so far, but I keep seeing "prison guard" in all of the papers, and I REALY don't want to work there...
I have the VA that can help me with schooling if I decide to go that route.  They will pay all tuition, books, pocket money and then a a smaller $50 a month for "extras".  That along with Unemployment, I may not HAVE TO work for about a year, as long as I can continue to live with mommy and daddy...SHEESH 31 and back at home... [:(]

BISHOP
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Art,

View Quote

Would I get to carry a gun ? [:D]
View Quote

I don’t see why you can’t, I let my Quality Engineers carry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top