Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2002 2:27:56 PM EDT
I have an s-3 video card It keeps locking up during game play do I need to update the driver because the maker is out of biz if it turned out to be a nightmare I would be fu@#ed cause I have no where to go for tech help. 128 mgs of ram should be enough huh ? Can I buy another card and install it with the moniter I have now? Video card and graphics card the same? [whacko]AHHHHHHHHHHHH help[whacko]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:36:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it a "savage 3" card, made by creative labs?
I had the same problem when I tried one a few years ago. It was something to do with the drivers.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A new video card (yes, also graphics card) should work with your monitor, assuming you have an SVGA monitor.

Are you sure that it is the video card acting up and not the game?  What actually happens when it locks up?

SB
View Quote
Hey shadow the whole game just stops it has happened with other games not just one. You have to reboot the damn thing it will just freeze the game norton anti freeze will not even work.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:37:00 PM EDT
[#4]
What game are you trying to run?

Is it just that one game?

Sounds like it might be the card. You might try another video card.

I've got an extra 32mb Nvida AGP card if you want to buy it.

I've played Half-life, Rainbox 6, flash games, and a variety of others. All have worked fine.

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is it a "savage 3" card, made by creative labs?
I had the same problem when I tried one a few years ago. It was something to do with the drivers.
View Quote
I am not sure it is creative labs but one guy tells me to update the drivers BUT I really don't know what to do if it screws up I am screwed
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What game are you trying to run?

Is it just that one game?

Sounds like it might be the card. You might try another video card.

I've got an extra 32mb Nvida AGP card if you want to buy it.

I've played Half-life, Rainbox 6, flash games, and a variety of others. All have worked fine.

View Quote
Is it pretty simple to put another card in?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes.

Turn off the comp, pull out the old card, stick in the new one, and then insert the CDrom with the drivers.

Should take only 10-15 mins at most.

The card I have has only been used on Win98, don't know if it works with other OS's.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#8]
go into the settings for your graphics card and disable all the "S3TC" crap, turn your colors down to 16bit, and lower your resolution to 800x600. You can also try to reseat the card.Do you have the AGP or PCI version of the card?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
go into the settings for your graphics card and disable all the "S3TC" crap, turn your colors down to 16bit, and lower your resolution to 800x600. You can also try to reseat the card.Do you have the AGP or PCI version of the card?
View Quote
AGP it is already on 16 bit I am not sure how to turn the s3tc off.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#10]
is your computer or the card overclocked?
What are your AGP setings?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
is your computer or the card overclocked?
What are your AGP setings?
View Quote
Optimal is the setting overclocked ? hmmm uh dunno[:O]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Where are the settings?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:54:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:57:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does it lock up when playing video clips?  Generally speaking, full motion video is harder on a video card than games are.  There could also be programs running in the background that don't agree with the games you are playing.  I stopped using Norton Antifreeze because it seemed to freeze more when I was using it, but that was several years ago and you mey have a better version.

Not trying to confuse the issue here, I just have a hard time suggesting to go spend money on a new card when I don't know for sure that it is the problem.  That being said, If it is the card, you can send the broken one my way instead of throwing it away[:)].  I need a new one and I don't play games.

Good luck
SB
View Quote
Ya know it does not lock up playing videos  
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Who manufactured the card? have you tried using the defualt settings? what drivers are you using? what are your settings? [red]AND WHAT VERSION OF DIRECT-X ARE YOU USING?[/red]

Where are the settings?
View Quote

click control panel, display, then click the settings tab, look for a box that says advanced on it, click it. That will bring up a new page with your settings and more tabs.
bfore you do anything install the newest version of directX
also download this [url]http://www.s3graphics.com/S3id.exe[/url] run it and tell us what it says.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 3:15:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Go into your hardware settings and remove the card.  Reboot your machine and let windows re-install it.  You may get different drivers this way and it's easy to do.

Or try this:

[url]http://www.s3graphics.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 3:35:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Who manufactured the card? have you tried using the defualt settings? what drivers are you using? what are your settings? [red]AND WHAT VERSION OF DIRECT-X ARE YOU USING?[/red]

Where are the settings?
View Quote

click control panel, display, then click the settings tab, look for a box that says advanced on it, click it. That will bring up a new page with your settings and more tabs.
bfore you do anything install the newest version of directX
also download this [url]http://www.s3graphics.com/S3id.exe[/url] run it and tell us what it says.
View Quote
S3 videosavage 4 GT/PRO 32M SDRAM
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#18]
OK, now download the newest version of directX, if that does not help do what attman said; go into settings-control pannel, and remove the card. restart the computer and do what it tells you to.
By the way what does your CD with the drivers on it look like?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OK, now download the newest version of directX, if that does not help do what attman said; go into settings-control pannel, and remove the card. restart the computer and do what it tells you to.
By the way what does your CD with the drivers on it look like?
View Quote
hardware driver cd version 2.02 thats it OK the newest directx is in I will have my son run teh game tommorrow and see what happens thanks Bigguy for the help I will let ya know what happens BTW Is that a good card for this system it is a 450 p3 128 mgs ram yada yada yada  just curious Oh yea I went and looked at new cards wheeeeeeeeew ummmmmm I gotta fix this one knowwhatimean
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:29:46 PM EDT
[#20]
What is the bestest geforce card right now anyway and how much do they cost?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Get an ATI card.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:08:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:40:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What is the bestest geforce card right now anyway and how much do they cost?
View Quote

The best is the Gforce3 TI500, but that is overkill for your system (this assumes you have an AGP 4 slot)

Goto [url]http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=geforce3[/url] and click on ANALYZE MY PC and it will tell you what each card could do to soup up your system.

I think the geforce2 would be more appropriate.

Goto [url]www.pricewatch.com[/url] for pricing info

ALso, ram is filthy cheap right now.  I'd toss another 256mb (or more) into the machine.  I just doubled up my new machine from 512mb to 1gig of memory, since it was only $80.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top