Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2001 10:27:52 AM EDT
Looking at purchasing a ready-to-fire AR with a 16" or 20" bull barrel (please respond with any suggestions on barrel length).  Prefer the flat top receivers.  Not competitive shooter but 1"MOA is a requirement (some varmint shooting here).  Looking to spend <$1000US  - therefore Armalite seems to pricey.  Bushmaster or DPMS seem to attract my attention but am not familiar with the AR - are there other makes that may fit my needs(wants) better?  Anyone need a SKS? :)  Thanks in advance for the responses.
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#1]
You have narrowed it down to the same 2 companies I did. I just picked up my new DPMS Panther Classic Bull(.980 miked) at 9:00 this morning, at their factory.

If you will be scoping it, either a 16 or 20" should work well. You will loose some(little) velocity with the 16". I got the standard A2 configuration with a 20" because of the longer sight radius and because it is the same dimensions as my former M16 issued in the Cavalry.

It was no problem engaging the 330 yd(300M) targets with the standard peep sights. My Troop ran the range every month. In the afternoon, we would set the far targets on auto. After a couple sessions, you could maintain 100% hits(30-of-30) at 300M.

I don't think you can go wrong with either company. I will be shooting my new AR later this week, I'll let you know how it turns out. I think this bull barrel will really work well. I was issued 5 different M-16s while I was enlisted, all with standard mil spec barrels. Every one fired MOA or better.  
Bushmasters have a chrome-lined barrel which target shooters dislike. It is impossible to get the exact same thickness down the entire bore. It is more of a combat application. Although there are accurate CL barrels. If you check out the Highpower competition board at [url]talk.shooters.com[/url], you will find few, if any, shooters using chrome.

DPMS barrels are not chrome-lined. This was one of the major selling points for me. I was geared more towards accuracy. Chrome lining is said to double the life of a barrel, but barrels are fairly cheap anyway, and we're talking THOUSANDS-10s of THOUSANDS of rounds.

Good Luck
[url]www.bushmaster.com[/url]
[url]www.dpmsinc.com[/url]

Link Posted: 3/13/2001 3:01:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude, SOOOOOO go DMPS all the way.
I own a Bushy myself, but my dad has a DMPS. My god what a gun. I would trade my Oly and my Bushy for it in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Looking to spend <$1000US  - therefore Armalite seems to pricey.
View Quote

You should be able to find a 16" or 20" [green]Armalite[/green] for under $1,000 easy. Even if you add a match trigger, you should still be under a grand.

However, given your two choices, I would go with the DPMS. I have only had experience with one, but it was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I forgot to add, my DPMS was [b]$799[/b]. I also had to pay the $51($850.59 total) Minnesota sales tax. You will not have to pay this, only your FFL dealer's handling charge.

If you do the dealer search at [url]www.shotgunnews.com[/url], you should be able to find one in your area that only charges $10 or less.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top