Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2002 6:16:48 AM EDT
Please sound off about this highway phenomenom.

Around here it's gotten so bad that a car with it's hood up and a tow truck nearby is enough to get people slowing and looking from the opposite side of the freeway.

The Highway Patrol has started to not pull over violators unless they can be sure to get them to exit freeway first because the sight of a traffic stop slows freeway travel and creates more problems.

I usually honk at these bastards (rubberneckers) when I see the brake lights and their heads turn towards the scene of the accident or event.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 6:35:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey dude, it's California, what do you expect?  The largest collection of stupid people of Earth live there.  When the work day stops to watch a car chase being covered by 6-7 media choppers from every TV station in SoCo, you know people have some serious freakin' problems.  The sun-stroke afflicted twitching ganglia who inhabit California are probably hoping that they will see some dead body or a shoot out with police.  The same people who actively wish to see "breaking news," like a shooting or a dead dude are the major voting block in California; kind of scary ain't it?

Of course, there are gawkers everywhere.  NOVA is also a haunt for the morbidly curious liberal who has such a dissatisfying life that he gets his jollies watching tragedies unfold.  Move to a rural area and you likely won't encounter chickenhead rubberneckers as often.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 6:36:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 6:46:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Kinda like stock car racing... [:P]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 6:48:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Years ago I rubbernecked at an accident.  Turns out it was my girlfriend who was hit by a red-light runner.  Now I always look just to see  if I recognize the cars or people.

Link Posted: 1/12/2002 7:07:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I live in traffic hell!

I would put Houston's traffic up against any in the world. LA is the only area that is close....and the worst is the fact that if there is a wreck south bound, the COMPLETE F******G MORONS that rubber neck it North bound make it twice as bad and usually end up causing a wreck.

Rubberneckers frequently turn a 40 minute commute into an hour and a half in Houston.

Someone should invent a wall that flies up out of those cement lane seperators that would block the accident from the other side....

Ok I feel better
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 7:25:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey, the Circle Jerks have a song about rubberneckers it's called "Casulty Vampires".  I've seen enough, I don't have any desire to look at wrecks.  Around here the First Responders are the ones you've got to look out for they'll kill you trying to get to the wreck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top