Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/8/2002 7:16:58 AM EDT
From the WSJ -

[i]Dave thomas, founder of Dave Thomas, whose homespun ads built Wendy's Old-Fashioned Hamburgers into one of the world's most successful fast-food franchises, has died. He was 69.

Mr. Thomas died around midnight at his home in Florida, the company said Tuesday.

The cause of death was not given. Mr. Thomas had been undergoing dialysis for a kidney problem since early 2001. He had quadruple heart bypass surgery in December 1996 and had gall-bladder surgery in July.

Company officials were meeting at Wendy's headquarters in the Columbus suburb of Dublin and planned an announcement later Tuesday morning.

Mr. Thomas lived in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.[/i]

How's about we get an "Ode to Dave " here with some of the craziest things done / seen at a Wendy's restaurant???

Anyone???

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:44:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Craziest thing I ever did at Wendy's?

Ate there!
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:46:44 AM EDT
[#2]
What?  A man dies and you want to remember "crazy things" seen in Wendy's restaurants?

How can you be so [b]frosty[/b]?  Haven't you a [b]single[/b] shred of human decency?  When it comes to bad karma, mocking the dead is a [b]biggy[/b].
[:o)]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:50:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How's about we get an "Ode to Dave " here with some of the craziest things done / seen at a Wendy's restaurant???

Anyone???

View Quote

I used to be a manager for Wendy's. Lot's of things went on both in front of and behind the counter. Out of respect for the newly departed Dave, perhaps they should remain unsaid.

I will tell you though, that his "personality" on the TV commercials wasn't an act. That [i]was[/i] Dave Thomas for real. I went to a management seminar where he spoke and stayed awake only cause he was the boss. Wouldn't have lookd good to fall asleep on him, but I did make frequent trips to the rest room.

FWIW, Dave did do many good things in his private life, foremost among them the promotion of adoption, as he was adopted. It was one of his life's passions to see kid's get into a decent home and have a good shot at life.

So long, Dave...
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:51:09 AM EDT
[#4]
An acquaintance of mine used Dave's home bathroom to expel solid waste.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:52:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Haven't done anything out of the ordinary at a Wendy's. I stopped at two of them on a 5 hour trip due to the first one being so good.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:58:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What?  A man dies and you want to remember "crazy things" seen in Wendy's restaurants?

How can you be so [b]frosty[/b]?  Haven't you a [b]single[/b] shred of human decency?  When it comes to bad karma, mocking the dead is a [b]biggy[/b].
[:o)]
View Quote

I think you got it wrong.  Here is a an excerpt from CNN
"The founder and senior chairman of Wendy's International became a household name when he began pitching his burgers and fries in TV commercials in 1989. [b]The smiling Thomas, always wearing a white short-sleeved shirt and red tie, touted the virtues of fast-food in humorous ads, sometimes featuring stars such as bluesman B.B. King and soap opera queen Susan Lucci.[/b]"

Oops forgot to post link to CNN piece:
[url]http://money.cnn.com/2002/01/08/companies/wires/wendys_ap/index.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:08:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I shall raise a Big Bacon Classic to him today at lunch. Dave, you will be missed.

I see him going to run the Wendy's in heaven, where they still have those cool "old-timey adverts" tabletops.

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Was the Dave Thomas in the comercials the real deal or just an actor?
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Did anybody ever see the Six Million Dollar Man movie with Dave Thomas in it?  I believe it was the last "reunion" movie back around 1989 or 1990.  There was a scene in which Steve Austin infiltrates the cell where terrorists are holding people in the Bahamas.  DAVE THOMAS was one of the hostages!  I shit you not.  Dave looks at Steve and says, "Hey, Steve" and Steve says, "Hey, Dave."  Freaking HILARIOUS!
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#10]
It was "Bionic Ever After" in 1994.

Check it out: [url]www.us.imdb.com/Credits?0109274 [/url]

Go to the bottom an see for your self. What an actor!
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:49:54 AM EDT
[#11]
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20020108/mdf109490.jpg[/img]
http://[url]http://news.yahoo.com/h/nm/20020108/ts/leisure_wendys_dc.html[/url]

[>(][>(][>(][>(][>(][>(][>(][>(][>(][>(][>(][>(][>(][>(][>(][>(][>(][>(][>(][>(][>(]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:51:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The cause of death was not given.
View Quote

Reuters claims it was liver cancer.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:57:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I knew he had been undergoing dialysis for some while. Since one third of all end stage kidney failure patients are diabetics, have been speculating on whether he might have been a type 2 diabetic.  Anyone have any knowledge on the subject?
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:03:15 AM EDT
[#14]
i had sex with a 13 year old in a Wendy's bathroom once. its not that bad, afterall i was 16 and now 13 years later she is my fiance. imagine that. thanks dave, you will be missed
-jay
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:05:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Damn, that sucks.

His commercials were great.  I loved the nascar ones with Darrell Waltrip.  

"Where's the beef?"
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:12:00 AM EDT
[#16]
He was a hero and will be sorely missed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
He was a hero and will be sorely missed.
View Quote

Heh heh heh....

He sure was a 'champion' of the RKBA. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#18]
He donated money to anti-gun causes and killed more Americans with heart disease & obesity than I did with guns.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:32:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
He donated money to anti-gun causes and killed more Americans with heart disease & obesity than I did with guns.
View Quote

Not that I doubt ya, but you got any links for this???

Cuz mainly if its true, I just want to ask him "Is it HOT enuf fer ya, Dave???" [devil]

[}:D]

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:35:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
i had sex with a 13 year old in a Wendy's bathroom once. its not that bad, afterall i was 16 and now 13 years later she is my fiance. imagine that. thanks dave, you will be missed
-jay
View Quote

Even at 16 that's very close to just wrong.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Not that I doubt ya, but you got any links for this???

Cuz mainly if its true, I just want to ask him "Is it HOT enuf fer ya, Dave???" [devil]
View Quote

There was a thread on this very subject in the last month, can't seem to find it now though...
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:42:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I heard he choked on a KFC chicken bone.
View Quote

Wouldn't surprise me at all. Dave started Wendy's on KFC money he made when cashing out. Most people don't know that Dave Thomas and Jim Near were the business minds that put Harlan Sander's secret chicken recipe on the map. The three of them are what made Kentuckly Fried Chicken what it used to be. Yes, old Harlan was the real Colonel Sander's and I met him once when we both were in St. Augustine. I was nine years old and he was, well, just old. But I still remember it like yesterday.

Gonna go get me some greasy chicken and styrofoam coleslaw now...
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 2:06:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
-jay
View Quote

Even at 16 that's very close to just wrong.
View Quote

How do you figure??  Maybe if he lives in the south and it was his sister[;)]

sgtar15
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I poured a sip of my frosty on the concrete for my dead homey.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good one, G-Money!

Too bad for Dave though...
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I heard Dave was anti-gun a few years ago. I don't go to Wendy's
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#30]
This is a sad day indeed.  I would like to see some links or something to Mr. Thomas' anti-gun activities, although it would not suprise me.  I will buy a cup of chili in rememberance.

[size=1]This is weird.  One of the largest outpourings of mourning for a dead man on this board, and it is for the Wendey's guy....[/size=1]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#31]
I've also heard he was a major anti-gun type, and that Wendy's was on the huge "boycott" list.  I enjoyed his commercials and spicy chicken sandwiches though
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Good 'ol Dave a gun-grabber? Say it isn't so!

If it is true, that blows chunks!

Guess I'll have to start going back to Burger King. The Whopper is the best burger out there anyway.

My wife managed a Wendy's b/f we got married.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#33]
The fast food industry profits from the debilitation of human health. Do not say that we choose to eat that food. We are brainwashed from day 1 into a diet destined for disease, illness, and early death.

I'd be willing to bet that his liver cancer (not to mention his quadruple heart bypass surgery in December 1996) was brought on by the same lifestyle that his industry has foisted upon America and the world.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:28:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ran out of OE?

[<|:d>]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The fast food industry profits from the debilitation of human health. Do not say that we choose to eat that food. We are brainwashed from day 1 into a diet destined for disease, illness, and early death.

I'd be willing to bet that his liver cancer (not to mention his quadruple heart bypass surgery in December 1996) was brought on by the same lifestyle that his industry has foisted upon America and the world.
View Quote

You're an intense kind of person, aren't you?[>:/]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:42:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

An undeniable truth of life: "Eat right, exercise, live healthy, die anyway".
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Founder of the square burger.....a tragic loss.

Next.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#40]
I enjoyed his commercials and Wendy's is a good change of pace now and then.

Ps..
I agree that is wrong for 13 year old girls to be having sex in a fast food restraunt bathroom.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Good 'ol Dave a gun-grabber? Say it isn't so!

If it is true, that blows chunks!

Guess I'll have to start going back to Burger King. The Whopper is the best burger out there anyway.

My wife managed a Wendy's b/f we got married.
View Quote

Did you nail her in the restroom? [}:D]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#42]
He was not the founder of the square burger...White Castle was and did this to maximize space on the grill.

Yes, Dave support anti-gun groups via donations much like SaraLee corporation. This was well known more than ten years ago. I've not eaten at a Wendy's in my entire life nor will I ever. My constitutional rights are far more important than some greasy burger.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:39:20 PM EDT
[#44]
My wife grew up in the Dublin/ Upper Arlington area of Colombus, OH and knew well of Dave Thomas.  My brother in law actually went to high school with Wendy for a spell.  My wife spent about two hours rambling about how nice he was and generous.  Apparently, the Dave you saw on TV was the real Dave.  A side note, my wife went to elementary school with Suzanne Hannah, Jack Hannah's daughter.  My wife (masters in Marine Chemistry, 3rd year Pharm.D student) got runner up to her in a science fair because Suzanne won by bringing in a baby elephant.  No Shiite, no lie.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:24:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
He was not the founder of the square burger...White Castle was and did this to maximize space on the grill.

View Quote

Say it aint so! Dave wasn't the inventor of the square burger? I gotta polish up on my totally useless trivia, that's been made VERY clear. My bad.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#46]
It might be the Grey Gooses, Kahlua, and Baileys talking, BUT I fucking love Wendy's. Dave will be missed.

P.S. Not to be rude or anything, but when they showed a picture of his daughter Wendy, she is really fucking ugly. Alas, I must pay homage to the man that created Frosty's and square meats.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#47]
I wonder when Ronald McDonald will kick the bucket?  [img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/FoodBurger.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:04:51 PM EDT
[#48]
I didn't know Dave was anti-gun.  But his burgers and the fries are about the best.

A couple of weeks ago someone mistakenly handed out $12,000 in the drive-thru.  I guess they had the deposit sitting where it shouldn't have been.  Unsurprisingly, I haven't heard of anyone coming forward with the missing cash.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:41:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Serves him right.  F**k this icon crap.

I used to hate their "do you want everything on that?" scam. They finally stopped it.  The standard burger had all the stuff but tomatoes, and if you said "yes" to "everything?", then you got tomatoes, and it cost you $.15 extra.  

My way of dealing with it was to ask "what do I get if I say no?"

The other P.O. factor was the way they wanted to make you answer right off the bat, "for here or to go". They still do this, and frankly I don't care why, even if it's to get my porduct, (to use a Toddism) to me 3.45 seconds earlier.

I just refuse to be scripted, so I ignore them, which drives some of them nuts, because they don't know what to do when the "consumption unit" (customer) doesn't respond in the prescibed fashion.

Yeah I eat there once in a while.  The one I go to has a real piece of work who just figured learning English was too hard.  After having to have the drive-up order repeated twice, I left the squawk box and explained it all at the window, which slowed everybody down.  

On a later trip, it was just as bad at the counter - couldn't understand that "large fries instead of medium" didn't mean two bags of fries.

The other cozy part about the place is the way that when the unlockable men's room door is opened, passing women get to look straight in and watch you shake it out.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:01:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top