Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2002 8:05:30 AM EDT
I was wondering when the assult on night vision sales to the general unwashed masses will start to be looked at by the powers that be. As a side note does anyone have a source that does some comparison shopping of the various units out there?
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 8:20:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 8:36:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It's already begun - here in California you can have a night vision rifle scope and an IR illuminator and even use them together but the IR illuminator can not be attached to the scope [whacko]
View Quote

My first thought was "you've got to be schitting me" but I know you're not.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been told that when traveling abroad, some countries won't even allow you to bring any night vision equipment into the country.

Is anyone surprised by the Cali restriction mentioned by Paul?
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:51:05 PM EDT
[#4]
LARRY G-

Bringing ANY GEN 3 night vision out of the country in ANY manner is a big-time federal offense.  This includes simply boating and bringing it into international waters.

The State Department will not negotiate on this issue, so don't claim you didn't know!

Every GEN 3 unit I sell comes with the whole legal run-down on the issue.

Ryan
[url]www.bluelinegear.com[/url]

P.S.  This belongs in the new Night Vision Industry Forum I moderate.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 10:29:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Paul I was under the idea that here in CA we couldnt have Night vision scopes. I beleive they are determined to be a "sniper scope". Ill look around and see where I read it but Im pretty sure we cant have em
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 11:09:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Sniperscopes

468. Any person who knowingly buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or has in his possession a sniperscope shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or by both such fine and imprisonment. As used in this section, sniperscope means any attachment, device or similar contrivance designed for or adaptable to use on a firearm which, through the use of a projected infrared light source and electronic telescope, enables the operator thereof to visually determine and locate the presence of objects during the nighttime. This section shall not prohibit the authorized use or possession of such sniperscope by a member of the armed forces of the United States or by police officers, peace officers, or law enforcement officers authorized by the properly constituted authorities for the enforcement of law or ordinances; nor shall this section prohibit the use or possession of such sniperscope when used solely for scientific research or educational purposes.

[:(!]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 11:54:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sniperscopes

468. Any person who knowingly buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or has in his possession a sniperscope shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or by both such fine and imprisonment. As used in this section, sniperscope means any attachment, device or similar contrivance designed for or adaptable to use on a firearm which, through the use of a projected infrared light source and electronic telescope, enables the operator thereof to visually determine and locate the presence of objects during the nighttime. [b]This section shall not prohibit the authorized use or possession of such sniperscope by a member of the armed forces of the United States or by police officers, peace officers, or law enforcement officers authorized by the properly constituted authorities for the enforcement of law or ordinances[/b]; nor shall this section prohibit the use or possession of such sniperscope when used solely for scientific research or educational purposes.

[:(!]
View Quote

This part makes perfect sense as civilians would never be in need of such devices, that is unless they were to be committing illegal acts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top