Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2002 5:46:05 PM EDT
I'm looking a good little folder with a blade short enough to be legal for concealed carry in California. What is that? Three inches or less? Maybe something with 1/2 of the blade serrated with some sort of fast, easy open button.

Is the Timberline Vallotton any good? How does Benchmade compare to Spyderco?

Maybe something for less than $100?

I am knife challenged, so please help me! :)
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#1]
One word... Syperco!

Get the plain edge.. looks much better to a jury if you have to use it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know what the legal length is in CA, but my recommendation for this type of knife is the Spyderco Delica, hands down.

Pre-9-11, my plain edge Delica was innocuous looking enough that even the most anal airport security types didn't sweat it.

Now, post-9-11, though I have "better" (read: more expensive) knives I could carry (now that possible confiscation at an airport has been replaced with certain confiscation and I no longer carry-on), I still find myself carrying the Delica for a folder for the following reasons.

It is inexpensive, so if it is lost or stolen you aren't out too much.

It is easy to carry and deploy (the hole, IMO, beats thumb studs), and it is non-threatening in appearance.

An alternative to the Delica that looks interesting is Benchmade's new Griptilian which has an opening hole and a modified sheepsfoot blade.

Of course, your's and other's mileage may vary, but I've carried a Delica for 4 years now, all my other folders are just collectables.

JAW
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:14:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Spyderco Delica. Period.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Spyderco Delica, cool. Thanks.

Is there any advantage to a serrated blade? I mean, they cut better in some circumstances, like for seatbelts, right?
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:35:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Get the 50-50 model. Best of both worlds.
Half plain edge and half spyderedge. Very nice little blade. I love mine.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Spend the extra and get a Benchmade.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#7]
AR15.com Tactical folders are still available. They can be ordered from the Web-store.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
AR15.com Tactical folders are still available. They can be ordered from the Web-store.
View Quote

Good idea. Which color looks best, blue or od? Can't make up my mind.

Is there a way to select the size you want?
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:14:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:16:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Bench Made Mel Pardue 3550.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:21:44 PM EDT
[#11]
So why is a "Benchmade" (that is rather generic since they make so many models), or an Emerson CQC7 better than a Delica?

I own Benchmades, Emersons, MODs, Spydercos, and others.

For what Mattja described, IMO, a Spyderco Delica is the best option.

Its cool with me if you disagree, but give the guy some information rather than just a brand name (Benchmade) or a model number.

I mean this with the utmost respect so don't take it as a flame.  Please, just share what you know and let him decide.

Thanks,

JAW
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I know I will get Flamed for this but.... I like the SW tactical folder
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:25:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So why is a "Benchmade" (that is rather generic since they make so many models), or an Emerson CQC7 better than a Delica?

I own Benchmades, Emersons, MODs, Spydercos, and others.

For what Mattja described, IMO, a Spyderco Delica is the best option.

Its cool with me if you disagree, but give the guy some information rather than just a brand name (Benchmade) or a model number.

I mean this with the utmost respect so don't take it as a flame.  Please, just share what you know and let him decide.

Thanks,

JAW
View Quote

The 3550 is a specific model.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:27:01 PM EDT
[#14]
paterpk,

That's cool.

Why do you like it?  My friend has an S&W "Cuttin' Horse" that is his daily carry and he likes it a great deal.

Let's hear why you dig it so much.

Thanks,

JAW
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:30:13 PM EDT
[#15]
LotBoy,

I believe I wrote "a brand name (Benchmade) or a model number".

Tell the fellow why you dig it so much.

What kind of lock does it have?  What is the blade length?  Does it have a thumb stud or a hole?  What kind of scales does it have?  When clipped in the pocket is the blade tip up or down?

All these are considerations that are worthy of sharing.

Thanks,

JAW
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:44:58 PM EDT
[#16]
You need one of these:

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/gus%2FAuto%2520Benchmade%2Ejpg[/img]

Then again, it could get you arrested!!  
I carry a Benchmade Panther (don't know if they even make them any more). My hands work better with a stud, but a hole is ambidextrous. You makes your choices.....
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:51:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Spyderco -- excellent quality and not overpriced like some others.

DELICA is a fine choice, especially now with the '02 model that sports VG10 steel--well known now for awesome edge retention and antirust properties.

If you think you'll need a knife for emergencies and heavy duty cutting like rope, seatbelts, boxes, etc., Spyderco's fully serrated HARPY is the ticket. This small, fast-deploying, one-hand opening wonder could save you (i.e. your skin) from just about anything the world can dish out.
Iyt goes with me everywhere with my work.
Blade is the excellent ATS-55, under 3", tip down, legal in KAli. Its reverse hook shape is so intimidating that aggressors WILL take notice of it.

HTH

BTW, S&W folder, specifically "Cutting Horse" et al: WEAK lockup on that linerlock. Steel is mediocre and nondescript(440 stainless or ??). You get what you pay for. IMHO
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 12:13:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Of course lets not leave out the best knife brand available (IMHO) with "modest to too much" of a price range..."SOG"... The Pentagon Elite folder is my daily carry which at different times gets joined by either a SOG Stingray in Cocobolo or a SOG Tomcat in Cocobolo. Some SOGS can be pricey but well worth it. (again IMHO). A good knife is like a good gun,hundreds and hundreds of choices. Find something that fits you and go for it.  Jackpot-out
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 12:18:15 AM EDT
[#19]
M4C,

Great post.  I didn't know about the new steel on the 02 model Delica, I will have to get one.

Yeah, the Cutting Horse sucks, IMO, but the guy in question bought 3 for something like $40 at Big Five or someplace similar and is currently on #2, so I guess he had his reason (singular - price).

The Harpy is an excellent choice for defensive and emergency purposes, IMO, but, also IMO, the Delica has a better blade shape for an all around knife. As Hannibal illustrated so graphically, it (the Harpy) is a wicked blade indeed.

The Rescue Jr. is an innocuous looking knife (sheepsfoot blade) that works for self defense, and looks like a piece of safety equipment, and the Pro-Grip (plastic and rubber handled Pro-Venator) is yet another Spyderco worth looking into as it is one of the few remaining models with a molded plastic clip, which some favor.

Mattja,

If you have a chance, go somewhere where several models and brands of knifes are sold and play with them.  In WA state, where I live, there is an overpriced mall store called Excalibur that has most all the knives mentioned in this thread.  If you have a store like this near you, it would be ideal for checking them out.

I am a big proponent of knives that have the clip attached at the back (non pivot) end of the handle to allow for TIP UP CARRY, because in my experience it orients the knife so that it is easier to open than those which have the tip down.  Ernie Emerson is also a proponent of TIP UP orientation.  His original (read: custom) CQC6s and 7s were TIP UP and his Production CQC7 is either TIP UP or tip down, but comes set up TIP UP.

The Benchmade Production version of the CQC7 was tip down, due to their design philosophies, and went against Ernie's wishes and against the spirit of the original design.  Tip down design is one reason I don't like most Benchmades, though some of their recent designs (the Axis locks in particular) are either TIP UP or allow you to switch to it.

If I had $100 to spend on a folding knife I would shop around any buy a Delica (or Spyderco of your choice) and their blunt tip/edge trainer to go with it.  In the long run this will serve you better than dropping the full $100 on the knife alone.

[url]www.knifecenter.com[/url] has an extensive selection, decent prices and good service.  I have ordered from them in the past and have no reservations recommending them.

JAW
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 12:21:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Jackpot,

Does the SOG Pentagon folder accomadate tip up carry?

I like the Gerber Covert Applegate, but it is tip down.  I like the design of the Pentagon folder.  If it allowed for tip up I'd be curious to play with one.

Thanks,

JAW

EDITED TO GET MY TIP UPS AND DOWNS STRAIGHT.  ITS PAST MY BED TIME.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 12:31:44 AM EDT
[#21]
JAW; I like the S&W tactical because it has never faild me... I have never used it in a life saving situation but i Would not hesitate to bet my life on it. It opens every time the blade is sharp and holds an edge, It is fast and convient. It can be changed from a switch to a folder in 2 min with an allen wernch.... what more can i ask...pat
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 4:12:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Here is a link to the site and my favorite knife.  Benchmade will resharpen for free(less shipping)for life.

[url]http://www.benchmade.com/detail.asp?id=10510423392494&item=27[/url]

This knife holds an edge better than any I have ever owned.  Recommended.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:49:18 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a Cold Steel Voyager non serrated that was inexpensive, does all I ask of it, and holds a good edge.  I prefer a thumb stud (or disk) to a hole, YMMV.  

I have a Benchmade Emerson Spec War Model CQC7 1/2 serrated that I really like in the abstract, but carry very little.  It seens "too nice" to cut wire, pry things open, etc..  I carry a pocket knife because I often use it.  I'm sure the Spec War would perform well, but I paid a little bit of money for it, and I don't think they are still readily available if I needed to replace it.  Finally, not to sound like too much of a geek, but I'm not sure I'd feel really confidant sharpening a serrated edge.  I can do a regular edge better than I actually require.      
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:35:12 AM EDT
[#24]
MB Rettings in Culver City has a great selection of knives.  If you're in So Cal it's worth a look... plus they have alot of very nice guns... [:D]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#25]
M4C and JAW, thanks for the detailed info. That Harpy looks pretty mean! I like it!

What's the difference between AUS-6 and ATS-55?

BTW, how do you sharpen a serrated blade?
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
emerson cqc7 series are nice knives to choose from.  I own the cqc7b and the only regret i have is that it is too sharp and ive cut mysel several times while closing it.
View Quote

And the perfect companion to your CQC7 would be the "California Legal" Mini-CQC7, having a 2 7/8" blade. [beer]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Check out www.discountknives.com, they seem to have real good prices and very fast shipping. I ordered a CRKT Point Guard several weeks before Christmas and had it at my door in less than a week.

I have a Benchmade CQC7, a S&W SWAT folder, a Spyderco Endura, and now the CRKT Point Guard. The Benchmade seems to be the best built of the bunch and I think the liner lock is sturdier than the typical lock blade (if it really matters, I'm not sure--it's a pocket knife).
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#29]
The Cold Steel Voyager Series of lock back blades are incredible!  I have a serrated blade, tanto and it acts as my pocket chainsaw.  It was a real deal at $60.00 !!!!  I use to buy Gerbers, but ever since I purchased my first Cold Steel, there was no turning back!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top