Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2002 4:28:29 PM EDT
I have a laptop and a desktop.  I can get them to talk to each other using a serial cable and a null modem at COM1 on each computer, but that is as slow as a dialup.  I cannot for the life of me get them to talk to each other when choosing a parellel connection at LPT1. I choose the proper options on the setup and connect with a parallel connection with a null modem.  I even tried with no null modem, but no joy.  HELP.  Do I need a special type of parallel cable?
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Why in sam hell would you want to? Put ICs in them both and run 100MB ethernet.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#2]
A null modem attached to a parallel port will just confuse both computers.  A serial port's wiring is totally different than a parallel port.  They both use D25 connectors, but that's all they have in common.  There is a cable you can use for the parallel connection.  It's commonly used with programs like laplink, so look for a laplink parallel cable if you want to go that way.  You'd be much better putting cheap network cards in both and running an ethernet crossover cable between them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#3]
yah bendi is right. you can get a network card for you desktom for less than $30, and one for your laptop for less that $50, so just do it, it will be muy rapido!
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why in sam hell would you want to? Put ICs in them both and run 100MB ethernet.
View Quote
Because I just occasionally connect them when I am home to load what any personal data that I accumulate on the laptop while I am on the road.  Besides, if I can figure it out, it won't cost any money, except maybe a cable.  Besides, the laptop is company property and I am not allowed nor would I want to spend my own money for something like that.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A null modem attached to a parallel port will just confuse both computers.  A serial port's wiring is totally different than a parallel port.  They both use D25 connectors, but that's all they have in common.  There is a cable you can use for the parallel connection.  It's commonly used with programs like laplink, so look for a laplink parallel cable if you want to go that way.  You'd be much better putting cheap network cards in both and running an ethernet crossover cable between them.
View Quote
Ahh, there's the answer, the laplink cable.  Thank you sir.  As I stated, the laptop is company property and they don't allow us to put in any hardware that their IT people haven't already installed or is not provided by them.  I only want to use it to download any personal e-mails or any good stuff from ar15.com, etc accumulated while traveling.

I do have another desktop, older and with 95 on it.  This is really stupid, I know, but would the 95 and ME on the newer desktop (the laptop has ME also, sucky platform) be able to talk to each other and swap info if I put in the net cards and the ethernet cable?

By the way, my serial port is not DB25, it is DB9.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I know WHY you want to connect them. I meant Why would you want to use the serial OR parallel.

On the laptop, you invariably have a PCMCIA slot. Attaching a PCMCIA card is an external device and you are doing nothing more than if you were attaching the laplink cable. You IT guys shouldn't have a problem with it as it is no difference.

Using the ethernet interface cards is by far the easiest. I don't know the speed of parallel ports anymore but there is a reason people almost universally use ethernet for this task.

Just my $.02

And yes your 2 PC would be able to talk using ethernet.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 4:56:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Use Breifcase or directcc to link the two together.  No cards needed!
View Quote
If you do this, what cable are you using?

Ben, I just work on DMS switches, which is a type of IT since it is a switching computer, basically.  We are starting to get more into PC type of IT work, since more and more of the processors are starting to be PC based, but I am still kind of weak on what we are talking about.  On the 2 desktops, I guess I was wondering about the compatibility of the 2 platforms, 95 and ME.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#9]
BenDover, I am doing something similar. I have 2 desktops. I want to use my DSL on both primarily & play some games with the wife (I have the important connections covered [sex]). I have ethernet cards in both & a 100 ft Cat5 cable. What next? Software? Point me to a web page & I can do most anything.
Thanks.
Scott
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 5:20:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
BenDover, I am doing something similar. I have 2 desktops. I want to use my DSL on both primarily & play some games with the wife (I have the important connections covered [sex]). I have ethernet cards in both & a 100 ft Cat5 cable. What next? Software? Point me to a web page & I can do most anything.
Thanks.
Scott
View Quote

[url]http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=23&prid=20[/url]
I use these all the time. they are about $90.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
On the 2 desktops, I guess I was wondering about the compatibility of the 2 platforms, 95 and ME.
View Quote

Yes they will work. Windows networking protocol is standard in both. You dont have the total flexibility of locking down folders and files like NT or 2000.
Top Top