Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2002 5:22:00 PM EDT
Has to be the best and most addicting game I have ever played.  The game is so realistic and so well done that unbelievable is the only way to describe it.

You start at 4000 BC with a small tribe.  As you explore you can build new cities.  As the city grows you learn new technologies.  What's amazing to me is that the cities grow true to life.  If you have a city in the mountains vs a city on the rich planes the city on the planes grow faster.

Anyway I'm at the point where I have cruise missles and stealth aircraft.  But just like in Afganistan you can't win the war by bombing the city, you actually have to send ground troops in to take an area.

My favorite character has to be the Marines that run around shooting of M-16s.

Anyone else play this game?
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I love Civ3 and am just starting to get the hang of it. Do you know if it is possible to have the game no end at 2050?
What Civ do you play I find myself playing the Americans and English most of the time.

Ropes
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Ropes4u... after 2050, the game stops keeping score, but you can choose to continue playing normally.

Great game for the most part...
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:55:15 PM EDT
[#3]
resources piss me off so much.. i never ever ever have any iron near me arg........
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#4]
After several hundred successful hours of Civ I and Civ II, Civ III still gives me fits, so don't feel bad.  A lot more things have to "click" for prosperity.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:46:30 PM EDT
[#5]
What civ does everyone play? I also love Age of Kings and Age of Empires. What I hate is when you are trying to build an army and run out of supplies.. but it is a damm fine game ;o}
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I lost 2 entire months of my life to playing Civilization Call to Power (I'm assumming that is Civ II). Awesome game but VERY addictive.

I had a very effective strategy: nuke a city then drop in a paratrooper. Only Problem was I ended up with too many cities to manage.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I know what you're talking about. I try to keep my civ small, with a few cities

As for resources, I seize whatever resources I need, I believe in big stick diplomacy. I started off my civ on the warpath starting 3800BC. And it took until 1500AD to settle it. I battled 3 civs simultaneously so it was a pretty significant drain on my resources. I had to delete the game because I almost didn't finish my college apps. Very addictive.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Call to power is actual not civ2, it is a diffenent series by a different company throug some strange copright deal. They were in the order CIV1, CIV2, call to power, call to power 2, Civ3 and there was alphacentauri in there somwhere....

Anyway i am usualy the romans in CIV3

and i got all my college apps out without deleting my games :)

and i got a full scholarship to one and into another already...[8D]
of course niether of the are high on my list and the scholarship is to the one twenty minutes down the road so I there is no way in hell I am going there...
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Is it turn-based? I liked the 1st 2 OK, but prefer the RTS types like AoE and AoK...
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#10]
yup its turnbased.... and the time between turns grows... and grows as the game goes on due to something funky witht hte ai
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Does the AI permit the cities you occupy to rebel? And do you have to face possible coups by your Army if you dont do well?

THAT would be realistic game play.  I was looking for a game to buy just last week and couldn't decide between CivIII, AofE, or Samurai Army...
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 10:08:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Has anyone tried Empire Earth?  You guys that like RTS games must check it out... its like CivIII only in real time... very similar to AOE or AOK, but in 3d...hundreds of units and techs.  Its pretty cool, I like it alot!
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#13]
ArmdLbrl... in CivIII...after you capture an enemy city, there are resisters present.  If you don't fortify the newly captured town with strong military forces, the resisters will depose your governor and the city will switch allegiance back to their previous empire.

Army units don't revolt though...
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Guys you have to try Starcraft.  The best part is the games dont last as long only a few hours. But you have a choice of three species.  Human and aliens.  It teaches you that you have to air, ground and space power working together to win a battle.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Guys you have to try Starcraft.  The best part is the games dont last as long only a few hours. But you have a choice of three species.  Human and aliens.  It teaches you that you have to air, ground and space power working together to win a battle.
View Quote

Yep, and the Brood War expansion ROCKS!!! I'll have to install it again... been wasting cells with Ghost Recon. GR is good, but can beat it without injury on elite level every time now...
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 1:24:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top