Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/3/2002 1:48:59 AM EDT
Now that you are old enough to legally buy handguns, how many still think it is an injustice to not allow 18-20 year olds the right to buy one? They are old enough to vote, serve in the military, etc. etc. The reason I ask is that I am 3 days from turning 21 and I think that in 10 years if someone asks me if an 18 year old should be allowed to buy a hangun I will say "hell ya". Do you ever see this law changing? I am interested to see your responses.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:01:12 AM EDT
Matthew, Look around you at your peers, how many of them would you want owning handguns?
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:07:22 AM EDT
I could go either way on the issue. How's that for fence sitting?
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:16:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2002 2:18:13 AM EDT by Matthew_S]
Originally Posted By punkatomic: Matthew, Look around you at your peers, how many of them would you want owning handguns?
View Quote
Peers meaining people I hang out with, I would be fine with every one of them owning one. Peers meaning every 18 year old, that kind of scares me. I guess I never thought of the shitheads. [:)] Edited to say that there are 30 year old shitheads too, where do you draw the line?
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:20:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:21:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By punkatomic: Look around you at your peers, how many of them would you want owning handguns?
View Quote
That statement says it all. There are tons of people OVER 21 that have no business owning a handgun as well. But I guess if they figure you are old enough to drink, you are "mature" enough to own a handgun.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:24:32 AM EDT
Know that i am 30 i look back at when i was 18 and think how foolish and lacking knowledge was I. It seems that when one is 18 one thinks that they know everything and is in perfect control of themselves, but realistically I look back at myself and others my age and even today at people who are 18 and older seem to make desicions which at the time seem responsible but when you look back at them were really not.My personal opinion is that males at this age still show a more high spirited outlook on things but when you get older things seem to look different.One can show more self control,apply better decision making skills,and can be less prone to flying off the handle and doing things which are irrational because things become less important,and life just takes on a different view. Maybe it has to do with the less amount of testosterome that the body produces, dont know but speaking for myself i know that things that dont bother me know and the ways that I would react to them are different then when i was 18.I do have mixed thoughts about the hand gun law,but can see both sides the postive and the negative for this law.But I think that i would air on the side of the law is good for this day in age.For most of the 18-21 year old young adults that i come across today seem to lack a sense of responsibility. I am not saying that all are like this for there are always exceptions.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:35:48 AM EDT
Matthew, As other here have already stated, you may have been responsible enough at 14 or 16 years old to own a handgun, as I was. However, there is a growing majority of youths these days that may [i]never[/i] grow up to be responsible adults. The disparity between ages, (18 to serve in the military and give one's life for his country, 21 for handguns, alcohol, and cigarettes, etc.) has always been somewhat of a struggle for me. I have no good answers for why this is the case, except that the typical 18 year old male (I said "typical", OK?) is young, dumb, and full of *** as the expression goes, not to mention feeling fearless and invincible. It was 17-19yo young men who had the courage to storm the beaches at Normandy during WWII. Young men make fine, fearless soldiers and the military knows this. As we age and mature more, see some of our friends lose thier lives doing foolish things, we start to look at ourselves as a little more fragile and not indestructible. I know it doesn't seem fair, but I'm thankful you're only 2 days from being able to buy your first handgun and I'm sure you'll be responsible with it. FWIW, by the time you turn 30 I'll bet you'll change your mind. -kid
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:37:45 AM EDT
I think that people who are 18 should be able to buy handguns[soapbox]. For the most part after you are 18, age should have nothing to do with it. My reasoning behind this is how many of you know people who are over 21 who should not own handguns[thinking]?
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:41:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Nasty_1: I think that people who are 18 should be able to buy handguns[soapbox]. For the most part after you are 18, age should have nothing to do with it. My reasoning behind this is how many of you know people who are over 21 who should not own handguns[thinking]?
View Quote
I am guessing you are not 21? Just a guess.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:43:51 AM EDT
OK, so lets go another direction from responsibility. Isn't restricting the age of gun ownership of legal citizens (18-20) the same as restricting mag capacity to 10 and not allowing bayo lugs and telescoping stocks???? [}:D] Matt
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:46:19 AM EDT
I know it doesn't seem fair, but I'm thankful you're only 2 days from being able to buy your first handgun and I'm sure you'll be responsible with it. -kid
View Quote
Not first handgun, just first one I could buy.[}:D]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:12:40 AM EDT
FWIW: I feel the driving age should be increased to 18. I'm 35, but growing up around farms, we learned to drive when we were 14... When I was 15, I had "farm access" to the car when necessary. When I turned 16, received my license, was able to go anywhere at anytime, I became stupid and irresponsible! As the old saying goes, give anyone enough rope, and they'll hang themselves...
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:19:57 AM EDT
Serious question: it seems all (well, many) of us inderstand that there are people who are too irresponsible to own firearms. I am also aware that all of us (well, most of us) are pretty damn opposed to gun control crap pulled by the libs. Is there any easy answer - or do we allow rising barrage of accidents / crimes by A-holes to conmtinue to put a black mark on responsible gun owners. I feare licensing schemes as I don't trust politicians. Also, in IL where I grew up I had to have a firearms license yet Chicago is all the proof I need that a license has NO effect on criminal access to guns. I am talking about moron access to guns, though. Any thoughts? Adam
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:23:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Matthew_S: OK, so lets go another direction from responsibility. Isn't restricting the age of gun ownership of legal citizens (18-20) the same as restricting mag capacity to 10 and not allowing bayo lugs and telescoping stocks???? [}:D] Matt
View Quote
Not at all. The age restrictions are based on the relative responsibility (personal, and [i]financial[/i] responsibility) of the [i]general[/i] population in that age group. Everybody here is giving [b]YOU[/b] the benefit of the doubt regarding the responsible ownership of firearms, but we all have reservations about making a blanket statement about all 18 year old young men. The magazine capacity restrictions, bayonet lug issue, and the rest of the stupid laws are nothing less than incremental steps towards a complete and total firearms ban in this country. 21 to buy a handgun? Sorry, but I've been 21 and I have to agree with this law. Mag restricions, etc. are total Bravo Siera.....
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:35:40 AM EDT
Sure, why not. The simple fact is the guys you don't want owning handguns (under or over 21)are going to buy them on the street anyway.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:39:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Shadowblade:
Originally Posted By Matthew_S:
Originally Posted By punkatomic: Matthew, Look around you at your peers, how many of them would you want owning handguns?
View Quote
Peers meaining people I hang out with, I would be fine with every one of them owning one. Peers meaning every 18 year old, that kind of scares me. I guess I never thought of the shitheads. [:)]
View Quote
I was trying to think of a diplomatic way of saying that, but I think you found your own answer. YOU at 18 might be fine, ME at 18 was fine, but THEM???? I don't know...
View Quote
Isn't this Sara Brady's basic logic?
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:53:10 AM EDT
Hell when I was 18 the drinking age was 18. I'm not sure if I could have bought a hand gun at that age or not though. Now that I'm 46 I think the age should be 47.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 4:08:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By a3kid: Not at all. The age restrictions are based on the relative responsibility (personal, and [i]financial[/i] responsibility) of the [i]general[/i] population in that age group. Everybody here is giving [b]YOU[/b] the benefit of the doubt regarding the responsible ownership of firearms, but we all have reservations about making a blanket statement about all 18 year old young men.
View Quote
A3kid, The same agrument is used by anti's every time they want to ban firearms altogether - some people misuse them, so they believe no one should get them. Would some 18-21 year olds misuse them? Sure. Would there be a higher percentage of this in this age group vs. 21+? Maybe, but those with the intent to misuse a firearm would also not hesistate to purchase one illegally. Also this perpetrating the fallacy that handguns are somehow more dangerous than rifles. I think we all here know that's not the case. Either at 18 you should become a citizen and receive all the rights as such, or not. I don't think you can really have it both ways, and not be in the sort of mess this country is today. FWIW, I am at the ripe old age of 25, and didn't get back into firearms until after 21 (I used to shoot alot with my uncle as a kid), so it's not like I'm holding a grudge against the system, just looking at it from a logical perspective. Rocko
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 4:13:59 AM EDT
I think that as soon as the State permits someone to drive, it should also permit him or her to own any lawful firearm. As far as potential for death and injury, what's the difference between owning a .22 cap pistol and driving a two ton automobile down a crowded street? I've always said that if Patrick Purdy (you remember, Stockton, Calif., 1989?) had wanted to kill a lot of school kids that morning, he should have put the AK in the trunk of his car and driven [b]it[/b] into the school yard! Talk about death and injury! Eric The(TheFirearm,LikeTheAutomobile,IsJustATool,­AndAVeryDangerousOneInTheWrongHands)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 4:25:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By rocko:
Originally Posted By a3kid: Not at all. The age restrictions are based on the relative responsibility (personal, and [i]financial[/i] responsibility) of the [i]general[/i] population in that age group. Everybody here is giving [b]YOU[/b] the benefit of the doubt regarding the responsible ownership of firearms, but we all have reservations about making a blanket statement about all 18 year old young men.
View Quote
A3kid, The same agrument is used by anti's every time they want to ban firearms altogether - some people misuse them, so they believe no one should get them. Would some 18-21 year olds misuse them? Sure. Would there be a higher percentage of this in this age group vs. 21+? Maybe, but those with the intent to misuse a firearm would also not hesistate to purchase one illegally. Also this perpetrating the fallacy that handguns are somehow more dangerous than rifles. I think we all here know that's not the case. Either at 18 you should become a citizen and receive all the rights as such, or not. I don't think you can really have it both ways, and not be in the sort of mess this country is today. FWIW, I am at the ripe old age of 25, and didn't get back into firearms until after 21 (I used to shoot alot with my uncle as a kid), so it's not like I'm holding a grudge against the system, just looking at it from a logical perspective. Rocko
View Quote
Decent point, although I don't think it's fair of you to compare [b]age[/b] restrictions for firearms purchases to an all out ban on all firearms because [b]some[/b] people might misuse them. Tell ya what - I'll change my stance on this issue for the sake of consistency. Make it 21 years old for everything. Driver's license, alcohol, tobacco, firearms and military service. Everybody happy now?
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:14:33 AM EDT
The cult of youth in this country is what, more than anything, has led to our societal distintegration. However much we might like to pat ourselves on the a$$ about what mature all-growed-up people we were at 18, the fact of the matter is that, as a group, 18 year olds are intemperate. At one time, the age of majority for everything was 21 and we should give strong consideration to returning to that, not lowering the age of majority for all things to 18. The main problem with 18-as-majority is that you still have a fairish number of 18's who associate with juveniles. Many are, in fact, still in high skrewl. Drinking ages got raised back to 21, in large measure, because of the ease with which juveniles could find an 18 to buy them hooch. A3kid, as usual, had it right by suggesting that we make drinking, guns, voting, and military all 21 things.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:28:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2002 5:29:36 AM EDT by M4A3]
Originally Posted By antiUSSA: FWIW: I feel the driving age should be increased to 18.
View Quote
I couldn't agree with you more. I grew up in an area where my father felt safe letting me drive at the age of 12. However, I had proven myself responsible and I can tell you that some of my friends in high school had no business being behind the wheel at 16...
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:44:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:54:45 AM EDT
18, 21, 23 I don't see a difference, really. I thought "keeping and bearing arms....", was a Right and should be extended to all adults. So if your 18 you can get any long gun you want, but everyone is somehow protected because you can't purchase a .25 caliber pistol????? If there was any sense to it you could buy handguns at 18, short range less powerful etc. Long guns could be purchased when you turn 21, since they are more powerful, have longer effective ranges... On the other hand...... "At 18 I'm old enough to serve in the military, why can't I have a handgun". I'll tell you what, go serve in the military, don't whine that you could theoreticaly could be drafted so you want to actually onw handguns.......... Then ask the question, I'm in the military, shouldn't I be allowed to own handguns...............
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:02:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By rogerb: Sure, why not. The simple fact is the guys you don't want owning handguns (under or over 21)are going to buy them on the street anyway.
View Quote
Your statement is not possible. The three-day waiting period and the Assault Rifle ban have eliminaated all un-lawful sales of firearms. [smoke]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:10:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2002 6:40:50 AM EDT by Quarterbore]
I think I like having the limit at 21 that way you can start drinking in bars and carrying a handgun at the same time.... Wow, what a combination!!! I know it used to be that here in PA it wasn't legal for me to buy a handgun until 21 but it was legal for me to hunt with a handgun at a younger age. I do not remember if it was legal for me to start using the handgun when I was 16 or 18 but I know I shot a deer with my father's T/C Contender before I was 21. As stated, I think that those under 21 can waite to own a handgun. I know I wanted one before I was 21 but I don't think I actually bought my first handgun until I was about 27. I know what you are asking and why, but I would just as soon that the law keeps handguns out of Highschool/College age kids hands..... Just my oppinion
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:26:35 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Quarterbore: just as soon that the lay keeps handguns out of Highschool/College age kids hands.....
View Quote
The lay be powerful. [smoke]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:29:06 AM EDT
Keep in mind that you can't legally purchase alcohol until 21. Though I disagree with both issues, the representatives that we all elected obviously know better than us simple, ignorant people! Bah! Bah! Bah! Remember that the 21 drinking age was forced upon each state by the Feds! If they wanted Fed Highway $$$, they had to raise the age. Talk about twisting your arm!
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:20:54 AM EDT
no one heres mentioned that fact that in most states an 18 year old buy a handgun from a private individual, its only 21 from dealer. those who would misuse them will always get them anyway, such as the loophole i just mentioned or illegally. also don't you find it funny that one can buy a AK47 or AR15 but not a 22 target pistol ?? it doesn't seem to make much sense. yes i am under 21, yes i think it should be 18 to buy from dealer. but i can wait, i'm more into rifles anyway.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:29:04 AM EDT
I bought my first handgun at Wal-Mart when I was about 13. My mom had to sign for it. It was a .22. That was several years ago and who knows whether I should have had it or not. But I lived in the country and had a lot of turtles and snakes to kill (and did). Here is where I draw the line on things Own a Motorcycle: 25 Own a firearm: 18 Drive a Car: 16 Get Married: 21 Own/operate a Boat: 15 Give me a few minutes and I'm sure I'll change my mind on at least six of these [:D]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:34:56 AM EDT
Personally, I think 20 years of age should be the minimum for things such as military service, firearms ownership, buying alcohol, cigarettes, marriage, operating a motor vehicle, or voting. I also believe in all-or-nothing when it comes to "age of competence" or responsibility. I can't stand the fact that we as a country can ask (or even compel) an 18 year old child to give up his life on a battlefield for the safety of our country/society, yet we won't let that same boy buy a beer or a handgun? That's the height of societal stupidity and arrogance. Furthermore, there are things that 25 should be the absolute minimum because they require a level of experience-related maturity (not inborn) to effectively perform. These include being a police officer, parent, politician, or teacher. I don't care who you are, if you haven't been around for 25+ years and gained 25+ years worth of interpersonal experience/relationship/communication skills, you are not experienced enough to do these jobs. Period. My two cents.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:59:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:06:38 AM EDT
Ageism is always greener on the other side of the fence. Remember, old guys, that it's only been since '68 that you had to be 21 to buy a handgun. A good friend of mine bought a surplus 1911 throught THE U.S.MAIL at age 13! He's old now (50 something) but points to that example as to why this keep guns away from children thing is bogus. We say we believe in freedom, then we say not for you because you're too young? Oh, but don't forget to register with selective service so we can ship your too young to own a gun ass off to a foreign country to (gasp!) kill people with a gun you can't own at home. Then, if you are lucky enough to come home in one piece, I can't buy you a drink. I'm pushin' 30, but I remember how f#@ked it was to be under 21 and I live in Nevada where there is nothing for youngins.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 10:19:43 AM EDT
The issue of being allowed to have a firearm (and one more devastating than anything that can be generally legally acquired by a civilian) while serving in the military as an 18 year old is obvious. I remember firing M16's, M203's, M60's, M1911's, etc. but it was all under the watchful eye of someone else. The point is that the powers that be trust 18 yr olds w/ firearms if and only if those 18 yr olds are under complete control of those very same powers that be. On the other hand, if those 18 yr olds are living a free life somewhere, they obviously CANNOT be trusted. Speaking as somebody who has seen 18 years twice and will see 21 years a second time pretty soon, I know that there are 18 yr olds I wouldn't want to have a handgun. But at the same time, there are 40 yr olds that should have a gun. I started shooting at an early age (grade school) and I wouldn't be surprised if that were true of a lot of people here. I think that experience teaches a large sense of responsibility to a child. It's the ones who come to shooting later in life that make me nervous when I'm at the range. I think (for whatever THAT'S worth) it shouldn't be about age but responsibility. I don't care how old (or young) you are as long as you handle yourself responsibly -- and that's not just with firearms. And if you do something stupid (as we are all wont to do), you stand up and say, "I did something stupid and I will do what I must to make it right." I work with 50 year olds who haven't figured that out yet. And I know 12 year olds who have. Unfortunately, that's not the way the world works. There isn't a litmus test for "Are you a responsible person?" or license we can carry that says that we are. We equate it with age and it's the only real uniform standard we can apply. I'm reminded that nobody ever said that the world was fair (If it were, there wouldn't be rich people). But, at least, being 18 is something you eventually get over. And, at least being 18, you can vote to ensure that when you get to 21, all of our rights haven't been taken away.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 11:45:17 AM EDT
Some of you have given suprising responses to the question posed. I.E.-18 year-old kids are mostly immature or I do not think that they are mature enough at that point in life, so I think they should not own a handgun. Some of you have basically come to the conclusion that age does not discriminate when it comes to being a shithead. With that being said, I think that we all need to remember that there is no formal burden of proof when it comes to being treated as an adult by the state. When you turn 18 (or even younger is some situations-paying income taxes, homocide, rape, violent crime) you are considered an adult. Put another way, you do not have to prove that you are responsible, it is assumed that you are until you screw up. Then you are treated as irresponsible and have to then prove that you are "reformed and/or responsible" in the eyes of the state. Although it makes me feel a little uneasy seeing some of the current output of our mature adult production facilities (schools-if you can say it with a straight face, selfish parents, pop culture, peers, etc...), I think that we do upcoming generations a great disservice by not treating them as adults across the board when they are of legal age. If they have not matured sufficently in their formative years, that is no excuse for treating them with kid gloves (sorry for the pun) once they are of legal age. That only reinforces the problem. Give them the rope and let them learn what to do with it as consequences naturally flow from actions. By doing anything else, you are part of the problem that created these immature adults in the first place. In fact, you are even worse because you continued a travesty rather than correcting it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 12:07:50 PM EDT
You can purchase a firearm at the age of 15 here, requiring a parental permission in addition to the weapon permits. At 18, you can purchase a firearm without a parental permission, since you are now considered an adult, also now you can buy alcohol, get your driver´s licence etc... The fact that the young weapon owners do not commit a large number of crimes tells something about our society. BTW, bought my first firearm at age 15, a HK USP.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:06:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Tuukka: You can purchase a firearm at the age of 15 here, requiring a parental permission in addition to the weapon permits. At 18, you can purchase a firearm without a parental permission, since you are now considered an adult, also now you can buy alcohol, get your driver´s licence etc... The fact that the young weapon owners do not commit a large number of crimes tells something about our society. BTW, bought my first firearm at age 15, a HK USP.
View Quote
I think that 90% of your posts are meant solely to make me jealous. [:D] Not that having to have weapons permits would be cool but from what I have seen you have some cool guns over there.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:09:12 PM EDT
So 18, 19 and 20 year old citizens are not considered people as in the right of the people to keep and bear arms....? What are they then? Some of you take "shall not be infringed" to the extreme (not that I don't) but don't seem to care about this. I am actually quiet suprised at most of the responses.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:18:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:37:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By EricTheHun: I think that as soon as the State permits someone to drive, it should also permit him or her to own any lawful firearm. As far as potential for death and injury, what's the difference between owning a .22 cap pistol and driving a two ton automobile down a crowded street? I've always said that if Patrick Purdy (you remember, Stockton, Calif., 1989?) had wanted to kill a lot of school kids that morning, he should have put the AK in the trunk of his car and driven [b]it[/b] into the school yard! Talk about death and injury! Eric The(TheFirearm,LikeTheAutomobile,IsJustATool,­AndAVeryDangerousOneInTheWrongHands)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote
Couldn't agree more, Eric. But isn't that a good way to get [i]everything[/i] raised to 21? [;)]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:11:21 PM EDT
When I was in my teens me and the boys all had a .22 rifle of some sort(I had a bolt action Stevens Mdl???) and most of us had Ruger Blackhawk .357s, which we would wear on our hips cowboy style after school and on weekends to be cool. We all survived, miraculously. My oldest son is 15 and he NEVER has a gun of any kind in his hand unless I'm there with him.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:16:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By M4A3:
Originally Posted By antiUSSA: FWIW: I feel the driving age should be increased to 18.
View Quote
I couldn't agree with you more. I grew up in an area where my father felt safe letting me drive at the age of 12. However, I had proven myself responsible and I can tell you that some of my friends in high school had no business being behind the wheel at 16...
View Quote
Acutally, I'm gonna have to disagree with you. Kids today that have their license have the ability to not only get a job, but have transpertation to that job. They can also go buy grocerys, and other needed stuff. With that job, they can save up money to help pay for their food, clothes, car, college, and there living quarters after they move out. If they didn't have a job, unless their parents were rich, how would they be able to afford to live on there own? At the same time, pay for a car, food, etc. Also mommy and daddy don't always have to drive them to school anymore. Computer Guy
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:18:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Wolfpack: IMO 18 y.o's don't need handguns, they can wait.
View Quote
IMO 40 year olds dont need handguns. They can wait until they're 50.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:49:02 PM EDT
Let's see if I can keep this one short! I believe 18 year olds nowadays are very different in terms of perception of right and wrong compared to back a decade or three. The fact is, many 18 year olds today shouldn't have a handgun! That DOESN'T mean it's right to deny them the ability (it's NOT) but there it is. Of course, boys will be boys (until we die!!! :-)). My idea of getting in trouble when I was 18 was getting caught smoking a cigarette or drinking beer. Nowadays, a lot of 18 year old's don't even know what getting in trouble is. And the trouble they are getting into is a lot worse. 18 year olds years ago where a lot more responsible, and accountable! Plus, remember that 10, 20, 30 or more years ago, firearms were not demonized like they are today. They were more prevalent in society, and more people grew up as children knowing how to safely handle a firearms. Nowadays, show a young child OR a teen a pistol and the first thing they want to do is point it at somebody and pull the trigger! Thanks Hollywood! The 21 for a handgun law is a liberal band aid applied to the symptom of teen violence. The real disease is in our society, the redrawing of moral standards and the lines of right and wrong, moving ever further from traditional lines as the liberals continue to emphasize Government control and deemphasize personal responsibility. This, like many liberal approaches, does nothing to address the real issue, and only, as was mentioned previously, worsens it. As far there being 40 year olds who shouldn't have a handgun either, well. That is true. But I believe, at least on a responsibility scale, todays 18-20 year old is the equivalent of 1955's 13 year old. And our society today doesn't really make you grow up until after college either, but that's another rant for another day. Just repeat after me: "in 99% of cases, ALL entitlements are evil or have detrimental effects on society".
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 4:29:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 4:38:01 PM EDT
I remember hitch-hiking with my Remington Tartget Master, taken down, in my back pack. I must have have been all of 15 years old. Never had a hard time getting a ride up north to camp. I haven't killed anybody yet but some people are pressing their luck.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 4:44:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 4:47:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:01:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Wolfpack:
Originally Posted By ComputerGuy:
Originally Posted By Wolfpack: IMO 18 y.o's don't need handguns, they can wait.
View Quote
IMO 40 year olds dont need handguns. They can wait until they're 50.
View Quote
It's only 3 years computer guy and the difference between 18-21 and 40-50 is just a LITTLE different wouldn't you say? Maybe they should lower the driving age to 12 in your neighborhood and we'll see if you let your kids play in the street still. [:D] Don't you have a Picasso report to work on? [;D]
View Quote
If they had stricter driving tests, more alert cops, and the person was at a minimum height of 5 foot, I'd say 14 you should be able to get your Drivers Permit. License at 15.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:20:06 PM EDT
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top