Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I think 18 should be the age for alcohol and firearms.  You are an adult at age 18 when it comes to taxes, employment, court, and voting.  But, for alcohol or firearms, you are a child.  So, you get all the penalties, with none of the privileges/rights with the current laws.  As far as driving, I think 16 is OK.  I can understand people who want to raise the age, but the 16 and 17 year old kids are juniors and seniors in high school.  They have more extracurricular activities, and are often employed for income.  In some areas this isn't a problem since schools/work are close or mass transit systems are close.  In my area, its at least a ten minute drive to anything, how is a 16/17 year old supposed to get to work or after school activities?

Also, I think a lot of the driving argument is not really age related, but experience related.  Sure, when I was 16, I drove like an idiot a lot of the time, as did most of my friends.  Most of us learned  better driving practices because we had received our traffic tickets, been in accidents(minor), or just learned over time.  I had a few friends that didn't get their licenses until 18 because they had no car, money for insurance, or parents wouldn't let them.  They of course drove like idiots for the first year or two after they received their licenses until they gained experience.  So whatever age is required for driving will be accompanied by higher accident rates for the first couple years.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I think buying handguns and alcohol should be legal at age 18.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
[qoute]

If they had stricter driving tests, more alert cops, and the person was at a minimum height of 5 foot, I'd say 14 you should be able to get your Drivers Permit. License at 15.
View Quote

Why a height restriction? Why 15? Gee I guess waiting to get a handgun at 21 is ridiculous!
View Quote

Why a height restriction? So you can see over the damn wheel and look at the road.

Also, I think you should be able to get a handgun at 18. You can die for your country, but they don't trust you with a handgun????
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, since I have a now 19 yr old that is ultra responsible, here's my slant on the issue.

If you wanted to have the rights of an adult at 16, then you should be allowed to do everything the over 21 crowd does.

HOWEVER....

If you:
knock up your girlfriend
get caught in a misdomenor
drive over the legal limit of .08
get caught stealing a car
accidently kill another person crossing the street while blasting out rap music in your low rider
or a million other "errors in judgement" like fighting against your country with an organized religious group (John Walker)

THEN....

Mommy and Daddy won't be able to bail your ass out of jail, you wont get treated like a juvinile offender and have your record expunged when you turn 18, and you will have to do the time and pay the price.  Period.

We couldn't build prisions fast enough.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I am sure somewhere there is a good reason for why someone under the age of 21 cannot purchase a handgun.  The wives of the legislators did not want their children to be playing around with a handgun.  I had one at 18.  I bought it from my brother in law.  A ruger .22.  My parents would not let me purchase anything larger.  I had a 30-06 for deer and a 12ga for pheasant and quail.  I had to lie to the people at walmart when I purchased .22 ammo becasue they cannot sell it to someone under 21 if they are going to use it for a pistol.  IMO make the age restriction for everything (tobacco, firearms, alcohol, draft) 21 or 18. Pick one.  18 for draft is an easy one.  All the people that did not go to college had nothing better to do so they got drafted.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I think that they should repeal the constitutional amendment setting 18 as the legal age to vote and become an adult and raise it back to 21. Reason: on the average a 21 yr old is better informed on issues. Also a 21 yr old is (on the average) better able to take care of themselves (get a job, make decisions regarding their own safety and well being) than an 18 yr. old.

They should also raise the age for serving in the military to 21 and set the upper limit to be 40. The reason behind this: is although an 18 year old can be whipped into shape faster than a 21 (or 40 year old). Older people frequently have (on the average) more maturity and skills and knowledge than a younger person. This is particularly important since weaponry hardware and software is getting more complex. Simply in order to maintain complex weapon platforms frequently forces the military to employ civilian engineers to serve aboard ships, etc.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Sine you can get a gun on the street anyway wouldnt allowing 18 year olds to buy them would atleast make sure they go through the insta-check.

I know this is a flawed way of thinking but I am thinking back to when I bought a 25 auto for 25$ in high school.

If we use blanket statements the antis could use the same mentality against us. After all one psycho could set the standard for us all.

Ropes
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 10:54:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree with the guy who posted about one age for everything and 20 sounds about right. As for the military thing when I was in at age 19 I was the Squadron Armorer (all this ment was I checked out the rifles for drill practices) and I carried a loaded 9mm Beretta with no supervision and 100 M16A2 Service Rifles and was authorized deadly force  (under certain cercumstances). But the second I took the uniform off If I went to buy a Beretta 92FS I couldn't. If someone can explain the logic I would love to hear it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 1:16:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I think 18 to 21 is a transitional period. They are Adults but thet still got a lot to learn.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 1:48:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think that people who are 18 should be able to buy handguns[soapbox].  For the most part after you are 18, age should have nothing to do with it.  My reasoning behind this is how many of you know people who are over 21 who should not own handguns[thinking]?
View Quote

I am guessing you are not 21?  Just a guess.
View Quote

Correct, I am 25.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:26:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I've asked this same question several times before and b!tch'd and complained about it till my face turned blue. Doesn't make a bit of difference. I'm on the all or none side. Move everything up to 21, or down to 18.

An adult is an adult, pick what age an adult is; give them their rights, and set the punishments for them. Someone said before that an 18yr old has all the responsibility, and not all the rights, that's exactlly how I felt when I first turned 18.

I'm only 20yrs old now, and won't be 21 until June. I'm in the military (and at work as we speak). I often times (especially now) have to carry/man a locked and loaded 9mm, M14, M60 or .50cal; but I cannot purchase a handgun (yet). That is just plain BS.

I'm here to protect my country with these weapons they have given me, but I'm not allowed to protect myself with the same handguns outside of work. Tell this serviceman the logic in that. Hell, I'd wear my uniform to buy (and carry) my first handgun at 18 if it were legal.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Excellent question......I'll lean to 21 maybe because that is the way it has always been.  Here in Arkansas I knew lots of people who owned handguns before they were 21.  I don't think 21 is all that bad for handguns.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:47:49 PM EDT
[#16]
how many of you were 21 before you had your very first drink? what make you think that people who are under the age of 21 don't already carry handguns. personally I have met tons, and been shot by 2 of them (I am a resiliant little bastard). when I lived in miami many of my friends resorted to carrying illegal guns to defend themselves and the were middle class kids.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#17]
In NY anyone over 21 cannot even handle a handgun witout a permit without commiting a felony even under the supervision of an instructor however an 18 to 20 year old can shoot under an instructors supervision at a range without a problem. Kinda screwed up but thats the way the law was passed. Two gentlemen were arrested around thanksgiving for this as one had a permitted HG and allowed the other to shoot it out behind his house --neighbors called the state police due to gunfire SP showed up while non-permitted guy was holding gun --he was arrested for illegal possession of a HG the guy with the permit was arrested also but I am not sure if they ended up charging him or not or with what I do know they pulled his permit after that. Most gun stores will not take a gun out of the case for you if you do not already have a permit. NYS by law really does not consider you an adult till you are 21 anyway despite military service eligability or voting age. It should be 18 for every thing and if you can act like an adult and be responsible great if not waiting till you are 21 wont make much difference anyway.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top