Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 20
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#1]

I don't mind childproof.  What I mind is making them so hard to use that I end up spilling fuel.

In the end, with a simple siphon, I've solved that little problem, too.  Thus, pre/post fuel cans really don't matter much to me.

Link Posted: 5/11/2010 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#2]
This is some good gouge.
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Bump
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SnoopisTDI:
Just thinking about highways versus backroads, do they ever block off the backroads to control the masses?  Also, if there are checkpoints to make sure you belong in a certain area before they let you enter, could this trip you up when you pass through smaller towns on the backroads?  I guess this would depend on the reason for the evac.

Yes, and may those assholes die of testicular cancer.
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#5]
bump
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#6]
bump
Link Posted: 11/23/2010 10:52:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/26/2010 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#8]
"Not only secondary roads, but everything down to back country logging roads, and have a vehicle that can navigate them. I know just about every logging road and state forest access road in my county, and patrol them regularly to keep up on their conditions, and wont hesitate to use them if the need arose. I bet that almost no one else would even think about those roads."

Be sure to have up to date information on the back roads you plan to use.
Go for a Sunday drive and mark on your gps or paper map changes in the road conditions, new home construction, gates (locked/unlocked).
And don't believe the paper maps.  See for your self.

Our forest service road appears to go down our mountain to the highway.

It does not.

We have taken to keeping our gate locked most of the time due to the number of RV's and lost hunters trying to get to the highway.

After a heavy winter of snow and rain the road conditions are very poor and often require the use of 4wd.

Too bad the tally taker from the goverment came up in a small sub compact car to find out the numer of folks at our place.

Dear husband had to pull him out of the bushes after the older fella got stuck trying to turn around.

If you join your CERT or Red Cross chapter you can often get a vehical id pass to use when you need to travel to your assigned duty station.

J
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#9]
BTT
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Bama for the tips...Tagging this thread. I will say the biggest decision is wheter to bug-in/bug-out depending on events. Sometimes the desecion time is litteraly a few mins at most. My wife and I have a plan in place and meeting points setup to meet up in the event communications, (cell phones/radio/etc,) are down. If conditions warrent the first place is the meet at home asap with other points setup as conditions permit, for my wife I made her a "play me" cd for her car with instructions in case of emergency. Now that I think of it, that info is a little out of date so I need to refresh it.

In short, keeping a low profile while getting the hell out of a dangerous area is the first priority. My only worry about using "back-roads" to get to my final hold-out is bandits praying on people. No one wants to be involved in a shootout in the backwoods.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#11]
TAG
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 5:46:08 PM EDT
[#12]
something i did a while back.

no matter what shtf event we need this.

"water"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R69bTSuYK7E
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 2:35:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: heARtbreaker15] [#13]
I'm glad I surfed onto page 53 and saw this thread.  There's a lot of good input from members here...

ETA:  Needs more First-Aid info though.  Packs, kits and essentials.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 7:14:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Great thread from an always engaging ARFCOMER..
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 7:37:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 7:46:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Was hoping this would show back up....

Thanks for the info, Bama.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 7:49:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By saturnstyl:
You have my attention.  Now don't lose it.

Taggig ow.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 7:50:23 AM EDT
[#18]
holy thread resurection Batman
Link Posted: 2/3/2011 12:16:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Here's a forum for first aid discussion. I've posted to it before, I think, but it's worth posting again.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=43

And this is a great thread. I'm pleased to see it resurface.

Link Posted: 2/3/2011 12:28:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By jmzd4:

Kind of relevant,considering what's going on in Egypt. Sure its still a remote possibility that something like that would happen here, but it makes you think of being prepared none the less.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/3/2011 6:11:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By jmzd4:

I'd rather see people actually searching for and resurrecting old threads that apply to their question than the endless and repetitive creation of similar threads that we see.
Link Posted: 2/3/2011 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#22]
regarding water, the shelf life depends upon the container.  the plastic milk jugs degrade over time, and the degredation accellerates if UV light is involved.  sunshine will break them down in a matter of a few months, but in better environments they'll last for years.  the biggest issues are that they are fragile and space-inefficient.  the 5-gal "water dispenser" jugs are much better, because they are designed to be reuseable.  for a shelter-in-place arrangement, one can purchase blue 55gal food-grade water barrels that will store potable water for years.  they seem kinda pricey, but when you figure that 1 barrel will provide subsistence-level water for 1 person for almost 2 months, the price seems to be less of a factor.  needless to say, the larger barrels are not at all portable, so if mobility is a primary concern, you might want to go with something smaller, especially military water containers.

if i were starting on a shoestring, i would be looking at the gallon containers w/ spigot, then the 5gal machine water jugs, then MWCs, then the blue barrels.

One thing you can do for water storage is store it in 2 litter soda bottles or 1/2 or 1 gallon juice bottles. They are much more durable than milk jugs. I have had a few milk jugs leak, but soda bottles take along tim to go bad. For storage, throw them under a bed and forget about them til you need them.

Link Posted: 3/18/2011 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#23]
tag
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 1:35:32 AM EDT
[#24]
I recently bought three more shitty 5 gallon fuel tanks from Wal-Mart.  I figure, worst case, I'll put a siphon hose in them then pour the rest out through a funnel if the normal spouts don't pour.
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 1:37:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By disco_jon75:

I recently bought three more shitty 5 gallon fuel tanks from Wal-Mart.  I figure, worst case, I'll put a siphon hose in them then pour the rest out through a funnel if the normal spouts don't pour.

Why not spend what you spent on those to buy a 'real' tank?

I bought a 50 gallon steel tank off of craigslist with a hand pump for $100. It now sits in the back of my BOV, along with it's built in 25 gallon tanks for a total of 100 gallons.

Link Posted: 3/20/2011 8:47:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By disco_jon75:

If you don't already have one, do yourself a favor and buy a super siphon. It's a plastic hose with a copper check valve on the end. To fuel a vehicle with one of these and a plastic gas can you just sit the can on the roof of your car, stick the hose into your tank and the valve into your can, and then jiggle it up and down until the siphon starts. Works great.
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 12:52:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By Subnet:

There's some kind of irony in seeing a 4x4 sitting on pavement, when there is unobstructed dirt it's been designed to drive on adjacent to it.

Some folks are so worried about getting a stupid traffic ticket from a highway patrolman who probably isn't anywhere to be found, that they lose sight of the bigger picture, namely getting the fook out of Dodge.

During Hurricane Charlie I was sitting on I-4 down by Disney when the local am radio station said there was a tornado warning.  The report said they spotted a funnel cloud right where I was stuck in traffic.  Us locals started looking in our mirrors and out the windows.  I jumped into the grass median and took off.  I looked like the Pied Piper. After about 3/4 mile the traffic cleared and I got back on the pavement and out ran the 1st squall line to the house.  In closing the median and grass shoulder will support the weight of the everyday 4 wheeler.

Link Posted: 4/1/2011 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Update 2

The first part of disaster is being prepared. Some disasters will happen with little to no warning such as terrorist attack involving chemical, biological or nuculear weapons. They can also be unplanned manmade disasters such as train derailment, chemical spills, nuke plant meltdown or factory blowing up. Or natural disasters such as severe storms, flooding or tornados, These are harder to prepare for because of the suddeness of the event. Other events such as hurricanes you have lots of notice. It is your job prepare yourself or family for such events. Do not look for someone else or the government to help you.

Come on, Bama, how often does a nuke plant meltdown happen?
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By pyle762:

One thing you can do for water storage is store it in 2 litter soda bottles or 1/2 or 1 gallon juice bottles. They are much more durable than milk jugs. I have had a few milk jugs leak, but soda bottles take along tim to go bad. For storage, throw them under a bed and forget about them til you need them.

Just buy a case of water bottles. It's cheap, and I have no problem drinking water that has been stored in a hot Phoenix storeroom for several summers. I keep maybe ten cases on hand in 2 different sizes, and I make sure my mom has 4-5 cases in her garage.

I have some serious bulk containers too, but commercial bottled water is versatile and pretty rugged.

Link Posted: 5/6/2011 10:28:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bama-Shooter] [#31]
Update 3

If you choose to bug in, your supplies should be ample food, water and medical supplies. Staying or leaving if you have family members who need medications on a regular bases secure those items first. Finding well stocked pharmacies can be tough. During my time in New Orleans I developed a severe sinus infection and had to visit several in the more "secure" areas to get my scrip's filled.

If you decide to leave make sure your transportation is ready.

Check your vehicle tool kits to make sure all the items are there or if you need any extra items which might not be included. If you keep flashlights in your vehicle install fresh batteries.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/Bamashooter/SDC10534.jpg

One of the problems I have encountered in the LE world and in a disaster is people do not know where simple items such as their jack is located or if it even works. Locate and test these items before the event.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/Bamashooter/SDC10536.jpg

Check your spare tire. Make sure it is fully inflated and serviceable. A slick spare is not going to last you long.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/Bamashooter/SDC10537.jpg

Traveling in a disaster area you will encounter road hazards. Having a flat in these situations is a major pain in the ass. From personal experience I can tell you flats will happen and finding a service station to repair your tire will almost be impossible. It was not uncommon for us to have one or more vehicles a day go down from flat tires. Also if you get a flat repair it as soon as possible.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/Bamashooter/6a00d83451bbfa69e200e54f4014338833-.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/Bamashooter/489_Security_Detail.jpg

If you spare requires a special tool or lug nut to get off make sure you have it. My dad bought a used truck the other day, he took it to get new tires, his plan to use the better tire as a spare was thwarted by a missing special lug nut. You do not want to be waiting on the Ford dealership to order you one in a SHTF situation.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/Bamashooter/SDC10538.jpg

Your emergency vehicle kit should include many items. Fix a flat, jumper cables, tire plugs, an air compressor, flares, a siphon, first aid kits and a rain gear. Go to the junk yard and buy a tire on a rim that is still serviceable. Drive some nails and/or screws in it to practice plugging tires.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/Bamashooter/SDC10535.jpg

Regardless if your vehicle is newer or older keep spare fuses and extra headlight bulbs available. Driving around with one headlight is hazardous and can bring you to the attention of authorities.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/Bamashooter/SDC10539.jpg
View Quote

I read this three years ago now and remember going out and adding all this to me DD/BOV/Trail Rig Xterra. Since the tornado's up here I have had 3 punctures from roofing nails and fixed all of them in less than 5 minutes each using my kit. Love this thread Bama and thanks again for posting it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2011 10:30:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/6/2011 10:32:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bama-Shooter] [#33]
Link Posted: 5/6/2011 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#34]
tag
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 12:39:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Good thread. I am by no means an expert. I dont have a bunch of high dollar cool guy gear but I can get by on what I have. I lived, grew up and worked most my life far from town and learned to make due. The unknowns is what bothers me and my unknown is ppl or how ppl act during a crisis. Hearing yours and others experiences along with the pictures really puts things in perspective.
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 2:59:49 AM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By RacerXXL:

I read this three years ago now and remember going out and adding all this to me DD/BOV/Trail Rig Xterra. Since the tornado's up here I have had 3 punctures from roofing nails and fixed all of them in less than 5 minutes each using my kit. Love this thread Bama and thanks again for posting it.

I'm glad it helped you. Made it all worth while.
Please feel free to add your own observations.
A couple that stick out, that have been covered here, but still almost bit me in the ass. First the situation-
The tornado's missed my home by just about 400 yards and hit while Mrs. Racer and I were on our way home from work. She frantically calls me on the phone as I am entering our neighborhood to tell me she is stuck less than a quarter a mile from home and that every road she has tried is blocked by either downed trees or power lines no way forward and no way back. She gives me her location and I tell her to stay put and I will make it to her. So I start trying roads and everything I find is blocked no way around. Cell phones have now stopped working and I am using my Iphone to use the map/GPS feature so now I am slightly lost as I have traveled into an area I am not wholly familiar with. I finally regain my bearing and finally get to her location only to find she is gone. I try the phone....not happening....suddenly I get a text from her that she is home and all is well so I retrace my route and make it home.
Where we failed.
Lack of cell phone service - I have read it a million times and seen it posted just as many that if you can not get a call through to text message! Sure enough I get home and we try it a dozen times and even though the calls would not go through the texts went through every time. Knowledge we had but failed to make use of.
Depending on a smartphone map - Yeah I'm a tard. Never even occurred to me that I would not be able to navigate roads just 5 to 10 miles from my house. I sometimes like to just go for a drive or take different routes home because I like the song on the radio so I thought I was pretty familiar with my area. The way things look tends to change even with heavy rain much more so when debris are strewn every where and trees and houses have been removed down to dirt they stood on. Once things have calmed down here both vehicles will have maps of our counties and the surrounding ones. Mrs. Racer will also be coming with me on some Sunday drives to become a little more familiar with our county.
Staying at the Agreed Upon Location - What ended up happening was a local farmer, who I have now met and thanked repeatedly for his help, walked by my wife's car while she was crying in a parking lot and asked if he could help her. She explained that she was only a quarter mile from home and that all the roads were blocked. He told her that if she followed him he could get her home. She followed him and he opened a gate on a pasture and took her across a field on a gravel/dirt road and to another street bordering his property and from there she was able to get home.  The only issue here was that I was still crawling my 4wd over small downed trees trying to get to a location she was no longer at. I'm not mad that she was gone but rather that we had no coms as to how the plan had changed because we both forgot about trying to text each other. I would like to be able to say we screwed up here but the place she was at was not damaged when she left it but was when I showed up. So apparently in the intervening 20 minutes from her departure and my arrival a tornado or straight line winds had come through that area causing some moderate damage.
The Big Fail - She was a quarter mile from home and could have walked to the house in relative safety. She was really freaked out and just did not think of it, I'm really freaked out because I know there are rain wrapped tornado's all around the county and if anything happens to her that I'll just fall apart. Again retarded.
Power - My house is wired with a disconnect for generator power but the agreed upon plan has always been to use one of the generators from work, with my bosses prior approval. Problem was that all the generators were loaded in trucks for departure the next day and the trucks would not return for a month. My OWN shiny new Honda should be here in a week.
Where we did not fail.
Food and Water - Plenty of both on hand but more specifically food that did not require refrigeration. We had enough ice on hand be able to fill two large pots with ice and placed one in the fridge and one in the freezer and that allowed the perishables to last four days. We took Iphone pics of the contents to minimize the time the doors were open and we ate those first.
Lights - Plenty of Surefires on hand and two boxes of batteries so good there. Coleman lantern and plenty of candles to provide most of the light.
Security - We both carry so other than that an AR came out of the safe to be out while we were home. Mrs. Racer "qualifies" every two months on her CCW, the house Glock 17, and an AR 15 so I was not real concerned on that front. Where I was concerned was that on day two I was leaving for Utah and then California for the next 7 days. A quick walk across the street to talk to my SHTF buddy fixed all that and he came over and checked on her periodically while keeping an eye on the house.
Fuel - For the generator I did not have and the vehicles was on hand so no problems there. The city of Athens did not lose power during the storms and five hour waits for fuel were common and they ran out quickly as the 3000,000 plus folks from Madison, Huntsville, and East Limestone county came to Athens for fuel and everything else.
Ice - Not really in our plan but for those who do have it as there means of keeping perishables alive be forewarned it disappears from local outlets instantly and if there is no power does not easily re-appear.
All in all we achieved my main goal of not having to go out and fight with the masses for the rapidly dwindling supplies and we dodged a major bullet and were able to learn from it and hopefully be better prepared for next time.

Link Posted: 5/7/2011 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#37]

Lack of cell phone service - I have read it a million times and seen it posted just as many that if you can not get a call through to text message! Sure enough I get home and we try it a dozen times and even though the calls would not go through the texts went through every time. Knowledge we had but failed to make use of.

Racer,
Glad y'all came through ok. I'm in Huntsville and we actually found (in our area, at least) that texts were often very slow going through. Slow as in several hours of lag, which really surprised me. What went through reliably for me was gmail sent through the Droid and iPhone apps over 3G. Why? I have no idea. I fully expected SMS to be faster, but it wasn't. So, if you're in an emergency and can't get through by voice or SMS, try email from your phone next before reverting to smoke signals or yelling really loudly.
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 9:20:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By red_on_black:

Racer,
Glad y'all came through ok. I'm in Huntsville and we actually found (in our area, at least) that texts were often very slow going through. Slow as in several hours of lag, which really surprised me. What went through reliably for me was gmail sent through the Droid and iPhone apps over 3G. Why? I have no idea. I fully expected SMS to be faster, but it wasn't. So, if you're in an emergency and can't get through by voice or SMS, try email from your phone next before reverting to smoke signals or yelling really loudly.

ETA:

Coleman lantern and plenty of candles to provide most of the light.

Agree completely on this one. My Coleman was indispensible.I lit it up every night around dusk, then turned it down to a low glow and left it on the porch until bedtime. A partial turn of the knob then gives you a really nice, bright area light. I used it mostly for working on the generator and getting greens out of the garden for dinner. I'll be picking up a spare lantern, parts, more fuel, and hard cases.

Fuel - For the generator I did not have...

Watch the classifieds and Craigslist for the next couple of months. Lots of folks will sell the generators they just bought. It's mind-blowing, but I guarantee it will happen.
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 10:00:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gone_Shootin] [#39]

Racer,

I have a Droid phone & have a touch to talk app on it, as do some of my friends on their Droid phones.

I'm not entirely sure how it works, but I wonder if it would work when normal voice service doesn't, since it is an app...

Link Posted: 5/7/2011 10:45:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Gone_Shootin:

I have a Droid phone & have a touch to talk app on it, as do some of my friends on their Droid phones.

I'm not entirely sure how it works, but I wonder if it would work when normal voice service doesn't, since it is an app...

I'd love to know the answer to that. As an aside, the FM tuner on my Droid Aria is absolutely brilliant. It's got a great scanner, channel memories, and excellent reception. It uses the headphones as its antenna. I wish it received AM (and SW bands would be nice, too ), but that's a small complaint. (I'm talking about the software interface to my phone's hardware FM radio tuner here, and not an over-the-web radio app.)
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 9:08:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By wingnutx:

Originally Posted By pyle762:

Just buy a case of water bottles. It's cheap, and I have no problem drinking water that has been stored in a hot Phoenix storeroom for several summers. I keep maybe ten cases on hand in 2 different sizes, and I make sure my mom has 4-5 cases in her garage.

I have some serious bulk containers too, but commercial bottled water is versatile and pretty rugged.

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/attachments/f51/20859d1303156191t-@@@@@@@@@-cool-refreshing-bottled-water-case-water-002-jpg

I've been drinking a case of water that expired three years ago.

How well do you gentlemen think bottled water would store in an attic?
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 10:06:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By alphajaguars:

It would probably store ok and be drinkable, but it would likely have a strong plastic/chemical taste to it. Some bottles seems to be better about this than others. Some definitely degrade in sunlight, so keep them out of direct light.

I'd store it in a crawlspace before I'd try the attic (unless you're on a slab.)
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 10:46:45 PM EDT
[#43]

It would probably store ok and be drinkable, but it would likely have a strong plastic/chemical taste to it. Some bottles seems to be better about this than others. Some definitely degrade in sunlight, so keep them out of direct light.

I'd store it in a crawlspace before I'd try the attic (unless you're on a slab.)

We have a crawl.  I have thought about building a storage area that is accessible from inside the pantry down there as it is not the easiest to get in and out of.

Would you guys recommend keeping them in their packaging, or using plastic bins?
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 11:21:47 PM EDT
[#44]

We have a crawl.  I have thought about building a storage area that is accessible from inside the pantry down there as it is not the easiest to get in and out of.

Would you guys recommend keeping them in their packaging, or using plastic bins?

I would suggest keeping them in a bin with airspace around them, so that they would be less exposed to the hot air.

Link Posted: 5/7/2011 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#45]
I found numerous holes in my bug in plan with the tornadoes and no power.

I also discovered issues in water supply and how our food was stored.

We lost quite a big of frozen goods, and were unable to cook with our electric stove top.

I am working through plugging these holes

An inexpensive set of marine batteries and a few solar panels, wired into the deep freezer would have saved it all.
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Also, there were positive notes.

I was able to use my fuel stockpile to supply the entire town's emergency vehicles with gas and 2 cycle fuel.

My bottled water stockpile was almost completely depleted as I passed them out to city workers and victims.
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 12:35:54 AM EDT
[#47]
We had a minor SHTF in the Seattle area in 2006. Power was out all over eastern King County; gas stations had no gas; etc.

I heard on the radio that there was a mile-long gas line at the only gas station in Bellevue with power - the AM/PM on NE8th (auto row). I drove by and sure enough, long line of cars with people standing around looking fucked. The Safeway in downtown Bellevue was crazy - lines around the block.

I got on 405, crossed the lake on 90, and every gas station in Seattle had gas and power. I topped off and went to Costco - again, power, no lines, no craziness.

People on the east side of the lake were so fixated on the nearest solution that they sat in line for hours to buy gas, when a 10 minute drive on the interstate would have gotten them to gas stations with no lines. They were lining up to buy whatever was left at the local Safeway, when a Safeway on the other side of the lake was fully stocked. The Costco in Georgetown had everything you need, when the one in Kirkland was all dark and mad-max in the parking lot.
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 12:56:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: APBullet] [#48]
I live in Algiers, the westbank side of New Orleans.  Shortly after Katrina I came back and was the only one in my area.  I spent one night there and got the hell back to Lafayette La.  When night came the whole place was empty and quite.  I mean I couldn't hear harldy a sound.  Not ever a barking dog.  Creepy!  At about 11:00pm I shut the generator off to refuel and I realized the generator would be the thing that would bring people to the house.  So I didn't run it anymore.  The next morning I was cleaing up and seen a few people drive by.  Just them seeing me in the yard was enough to bring some of them to the house and it made me neverous like I've never been.  The few that stopped probably got bad vibes from me and were on their way.  One thing I've learned is people leave you alone if they think your crazy and crazy people will leave you alone if they think you are more crazy than they are.  At about noon I was on my way back and didn't return until more people came back.  

Anyway, don't stick around and be the only one in your area.  There is nothing to do.  Go to another area and take it easy.  Go out to eat, go see a movie, hit  the pawn shops for guns, and when the power is back on then go home.  If you stay get a generator that is quiet.  And don't get one that uses about 15 gallons a day.  Get one that will run your fridge, a few lights, and the TV.
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 12:59:25 AM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By RyJones:

We had a minor SHTF in the Seattle area in 2006. Power was out all over eastern King County; gas stations had no gas; etc.

I heard on the radio that there was a mile-long gas line at the only gas station in Bellevue with power - the AM/PM on NE8th (auto row). I drove by and sure enough, long line of cars with people standing around looking fucked. The Safeway in downtown Bellevue was crazy - lines around the block.

I got on 405, crossed the lake on 90, and every gas station in Seattle had gas and power. I topped off and went to Costco - again, power, no lines, no craziness.

People on the east side of the lake were so fixated on the nearest solution that they sat in line for hours to buy gas, when a 10 minute drive on the interstate would have gotten them to gas stations with no lines. They were lining up to buy whatever was left at the local Safeway, when a Safeway on the other side of the lake was fully stocked. The Costco in Georgetown had everything you need, when the one in Kirkland was all dark and mad-max in the parking lot.
Yep, same way it was here in this area.

I actually drove to Birmingham to re-supply my fuel stocks, and passed a half dozen gas stations where people were waiting in line.

Had they gone a few extra miles, they'd have gassed up no problem.

Link Posted: 5/8/2011 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:

Originally Posted By RyJones:

Yep, same way it was here in this area.

I actually drove to Birmingham to re-supply my fuel stocks, and passed a half dozen gas stations where people were waiting in line.

Had they gone a few extra miles, they'd have gassed up no problem.

A couple years ago, we had a fuel shortage, and as soon as the local news media mentioned it there was a run on the gas stations.  People were lining up and filling their cars, every gas can they had, and their boats.  Didn't take long for stations to start running dry, and that got people even more worked up about having to get all the gas they could find.  Stations along the interstate in neighboring counties started getting lines and running low.

I hit a two lane country road, drove to the second small town on the other side of the county line, and filled both tanks in my pickup.  I got the impression that the station had seen a few people from out of town, but there were no more than two or three other vehicles at the pumps while I was filling up.  With the amount I was usually driving, both tanks full was enough to keep me going for about 3 weeks.
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top