Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2001 6:54:19 PM EDT
I am considering moving to AZ within the next 6 months. I may accept a job in Cochise county around Sierra Vista / Bisbee area. Is this a decent place to live. I realize it is rather remote as there are just small cities around the area. I will be moving from the Dallas area. I want to have some freedom from the big city crap.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#1]
... Oh, you'll be free of the big city crap there alright.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, that'll be a change for sure.  Closest thing resembling a city is Tucson.  Sierra Vista is a military town (Ft. Huachuca - don't worry, you'll learn to pronounce it) and Bisbee is an old mining town turned "artist colony".  Not much going on.  Kinda dull.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Bisbee is full of wierdos, old hippies and assorted other oddballs. Not as bad as say Sunset Blvd, but strange people all the same.
Sierra Vista is a decent city, but I wouldn't want to live in the city limits. Land is fairly cheap just a few miles out of town. Weather is decent. Rich in history.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 9:01:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 9:16:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Ft Huachuca ! make sure you scrawl yor initials on the back of the sign out in front of the main gate . God I hated that place !
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I guess it depends on your standards, but Sierra Vista IS NOT a small one horse town.  It is a small city experiencing explosive growth, and its a lot more than a front gate ville for Fort Hauchuca.  You won't see the urban lifestyle of a Dallas or Phoenix but it ain't Mayberry with cactus either.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 12:15:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I get the impression no one thinks much of this part of AZ. I drove around Sierra Vista and it seemed ok to me. It looked like a small town growing at a reasonable pace. I also thought Bisbee was full of strange, liberal, Manson family types. Douglas, just another border town. Benson seemed ok too. I am really just tired of spending several hours a day in traffic to get back and forth to work. I see my money go to pay high rent and have no place for outdoor activity. This place is the city of greed and plastic surgery candidates.    
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#8]
[SNIPER]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I get the impression no one thinks much of this part of AZ. I drove around Sierra Vista and it seemed ok to me. It looked like a small town growing at a reasonable pace. I also thought Bisbee was full of strange, liberal, Manson family types. Douglas, just another border town. Benson seemed ok too.
View Quote
Yup.  That's about it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I just put in a bid on a couple of acres up in Dewey (just 12 miles south of Prescott Valley) to build a Vacation home in.

Am considering buying a house in Tucson. I know that Tucson is liberal, but it has to be better than being in the San Francisco Bay Area...Right ?
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Tucson is liberal, but we're working on it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tucson is liberal, but we're working on it.
View Quote
yes we are
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Tucson is liberal, but it is a far cry from the liberalism of san francisco.

I like being able to drive 5 or so minutes and shoot w/o issues.

I kinda like Sierra Vista (Sorry Gulch), I love the Huachuca Mtns,  Carr canyon is a hoot.

I love Az

Biggame223

Out
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I ate dinner one evening in Bisbee at a place, I think it was called the Copper Queen or Silver Queen or something like that. One of the best meals I ever had. The rest of the place is kinda boring. Sierra Vista was OK. At the time I was a student at U of A, so I lived in Tucson. Kinda liked everything about Az!.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 11:07:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I noticed watching the news that Tucson had a lot of car thefts and gang crimes. Is it really that bad in Tucson? I am looking at Cochise County because I want to be able to go off roading and shooting out in the boonies.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I noticed watching the news that Tucson had a lot of car thefts and gang crimes. Is it really that bad in Tucson? I am looking at Cochise County because I want to be able to go off roading and shooting out in the boonies.
View Quote
Car theft is fairly high.  Gang crime?  Compared to Dallas I imagine we're pikers.  There's usually one exchange of gunfire in South Tucson (a little city of it's own South of the Freeway) every weekend.  About once a month something more involved occurs.

Cochise County should be a good place for recreational shooting.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I heard some people were moving out'ta douglas area because of the illegal's.I'm not a AZ resident but I spend as much time as I can in the Tucson area.I_LUV_AZ.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
there is but not in the areas you would ever go to at night. ie south side downtown
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top