Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2001 12:14:24 PM EDT
[url] http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,41351,00.html [/url]

These people are a DISGRACE.  Who else is gonna get $1.4 million for the loss of a loved one, without even having to FIGHT for it.  As far as I'm concerned, the US government (in this case, Gubment) has no business paying off the victims of this disaster.  It's compounded when you consider the sheet $$$ that have already been donated.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#1]
"No amount of money is ever going to replace him but my children should never have to want for anything."

Nice attitude.  "My husband's dead, but I'm 'Movin' on Up."
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I think we are seeing the evolution of natural instincts from man the predator, to man the parasite.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#3]
It is tragic that people lost those they loved in this attack, but once insurance money, and the funds collected privately are paid out, are the taxpayers suppose to keep paying?

It was stated that one woman “was skeptical that a cash award could account for her pain and suffering.” But then went on to say, “No amount of money is ever going to replace him but my children should never have to want for anything."

Guess I’ll be the one to ask why should we, as taxpayers, support her children when most people as struggling to support their own?

edited to refix link
and again to remove link 'cause I couldn't get it to work right
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for fixing the link.  I can't imagine what I did wrong?  

Anyway, millions of Americans should feel like SUCKERS for giving to these greedy opportunists.  I hope people like this are in the minority of survivors.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#5]
What about the Oklahoma city bombing?  Where is thier payoff.  I can't believe, we are tossing money all over the place.  At the risk of being insensitive, that is what people have life insurance for.  Who is going to pay my wife a million dollars if I die?
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for fixing the link.  I can't imagine what I did wrong?  
View Quote

Don't know but I couldn't fix it either, kept coming up with an http://%20Http: at the begining and wouldn't link right.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#7]
So...

How much did Daniel Faulkner's wife get again?

Link Posted: 12/21/2001 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What about the Oklahoma city bombing?  Where is thier payoff.  I can't believe, we are tossing money all over the place.  At the risk of being insensitive, that is what people have life insurance for.  Who is going to pay my wife a million dollars if I die?
View Quote

Exactly!I dont remember the red cross asking me for money after O.K.City.
And how much have they collected so far for 9/11? A bazillion or so?

How much are the families going to get?
I'm not trying to be insensative,but since when does the fact that you lost a family member in a tragity entitle you to be a millionaire?

I lost many friends while in the military (in combat),all they got was their SGLI.

And they were willing to lose their lives.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Spokesmen for Sens. [b]Hillary Clinton[/b] and [b]Charles Schumer[/b] of New York, who pushed the bill, did not return calls seeking comment on why Oklahoma City victims were not included, as some families say should have been done.
View Quote

Wouldn't you just know it that Chuck & Hill were behind this debacle.

[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A13177-2001Dec21.html[/url]

Link Posted: 12/21/2001 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I feel for the people who lost family at the WTC. But I thought all the money the Red Cross and United Way was collecting was to help these families. Before the government pays out one dime I want these organizations to fulfill their promises to the millions of folks who donated money.
Money won't bring back loved ones and just because you had a death in your family doesn't mean you get to make a profit. If Clinton and Schumer want to help these families maybe the State of New York should offer a free State College education to all the children who have lost parents.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Supposedly, one of the stipulations of accepting the money is that no lawsuits will be filed against the government or the [b]airlines[/b].

I smell a pre-emptive bail-out here.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 2:18:44 PM EDT
[#12]
If I wanted to,where would I look to find out exactly where every cent of the money collected from these organizations will be spent?

Why do I feel that none of this money that suckers(no offense if you contributed)gave will ever be followed of traced?

Who's pocket is this going to be lining?
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 2:26:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I feel very sorry for the survivors, however, since when is the government providing every citizen with life insurance. If one of us gets killed during the commission of a crime is the Government going to take care of our families? I don't think so. We pay for life insurance for a reason. It's tragic what happened. But it's also tragic anytime a family loses one of it's own. Who decides that one persons life in worth more than someones elses?
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 3:08:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You guys seem unwilling to sound "insensitive."  Well, let me be the one.  I just heard a quote on the radio where a woman said, "1.6 million--for [b]murder[/b]!!  That's all I get?!!"  Excuse me??!!  5 billion dollars of OUR money is being given to the victim's families--an average of 1.6 million per victim.  The charities have collected jillions, as mentioned above, and stolen most of it.  Who the hell gives a million and a half bucks to the families of all the other murdered people's families in this country?  Who gave squat to the families of our servicemen who died in the Beirut barracks bombing?  the Cole?  OKC?  the CIA agent brutally killed?  Maybe I'm so pissed because I work as a life insurance agent.  Most of us slobs (me and my clients) just get what we see fit to provide for our families.  I do realize most of the family members have not been heard from--it is probably a minority complaining.  BUT, now they are talking about suing the airlines.  They did not fail in this--the weapons used were allowed by Federal law!!  There was no negligence by the airlines.  Sue bin Ladin, but stealing from me in the form of a federal giveaway burns my ass!  Go ahead and call me calloused, or whatever, I don't care.  When I die, by whatever means, I, and I alone will take care of my wife.  You folks do not need to chip in, thank you very much.  Now that the government is providing a million and a half bucks life insurance to families, I guess I may as well quit my job and just live on the government tit too.  [pissed]
View Quote

TBK,

Thank you for saying what I didn't have the balls to say.  I agree with you 100%.

This is the general sentimate I am reading from the survivors: "You can't place a price on my husbands death, but... how about 10 Million???

I do feel horribly sorry for the survivors, but look at all the single and dual parent families that are out of work right now.  Who is going to help them out when they are trying to feed themselves and their families while trying to get a damn job.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I picture the survivors being majority women who were married to men making an above average salary.  Therefore the women probably did not work, and instead raised the children, were homemakers, etc...

I have to be brutal here, but sell the Mercedes, downsize to a smaller house, quit the country club and get a job!

Maybe I feel this way because when I was a child, my father passed away at an early age.  Yes my family had insurance, but that's not always enough, so my mother worked full time and raised 3 children and I think we turned out okay.  

How about this, if the women remarry, do they have to return the "lost wages" money to the gov't???
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks to thebeekeeper I willfully withdraw my attempt at being insensitive and say "Your lucky to get anything!"
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#17]

I agree that the Red Cross and other organizations who took donations intended for the families should be held accountable.

As a career firefighter myself I'm very biased to the families of the Firefighters who perished in the WTC attacks. This link shows how the fire service as a whole takes care of it's own. Now I am the first to say that all of this money did not come from Firefighters, the majority came from everyday citizens and is GREATLY appreciated, but once in the hands of Firefighters it was presented to the families as quickly as resonably possible. This fund has to this date given over $323,703 per family to the survivors of the 344 firefighters who perished in the WTC attack.

http://www.firehouse.com/news/2001/12/20_FHfund.html

Merry Christmas to you all and God Bless.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 4:10:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Damn I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is a taxpayer rippoff! I got ripped at work today for speaking my mind about this. If you want money when a loved one dies, BUY INSURANCE! Don't expect everyone else in the country to take care of you, we have our own problems and we gave very generously in our donations.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 4:11:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is a taxpayer rippoff! I got ripped at work today for speaking my mind about this. If you want money when a loved one dies, BUY INSURANCE! Don't expect everyone else in the country to take care of you, we have our own problems and we gave very generously in our donations.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 5:56:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So...

How much did Daniel Faulkner's wife get again?

View Quote

All she got was another kick in the ass again last week when they overturned the death sentence that should have been carried out already.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh spare me, kids always have unanswred wants. A whole lot of adults do too. That's what insurance is for lady. If you or your hubby didn't think it was important to protect your future, why should I. Suck it up and get a job like the rest of us. The world does not now, nor has it ever, owed you a living. Give me 1 point something mil, and I'll be a happy man.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#22]
A lot of military people aren't getting so much as a pat on the back (if that ) right now for Force Protection which has made life hell in some places - i.e. overseas duty........

Its a tragedy when people die, but it happens every day - since time began - and no one jumps when someone dies in a car accident or other "normal" accidental death. These people who lost loved ones deserve support from others - ie moral support and perhaps financial support from friends, family, etc if truly in need but not boo-coo dollars from the government.

I know its embarassing that we could have had Bin Laden a few years ago - but Klinton F###ED us and destroyed the CIA - but hey, Klinton always was about destroying our nation and all it stood for. A reward was out for Bin Laden by the State Department for years - nevertheless Klinton and his marxist buddies decided to screw Americans - you, me, and all the other taxpayers who he loathes.......

Rant Mode [off] ......good soldier.....:)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top