Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2001 4:46:25 PM EDT
[b].....I know I do NOT![/b][red](WTF!)[/red] So's I go to do a little Xmas shopping today.I hate the last minute LONG lines everywhere and all that CRAP.Anywhoo,I pay cash.....but to accept my $_cash_$ 'they'need my name N address[size=6]W_T_F?[size=6].Now this happened at Radio Shack,and a jewlery store.TODAY! their excuse is they need it to process my reciept.Well bite me,your not putting me on a mailing list or in the central data bank.You want my cash or not? I gave them my zipcode and told them I'd keep my reciept in case their computers crashed.They want to institute this crap on the younger generation is my guess.This happening in your neighborhood?
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Radio shack has done that for years dude. MicroCenter does the same thing. That is how they build and maintain their direct mail list to send you junk mail.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Donato's Pizza asks your name for a cash sale at the Buffet!!!!!

I gave the girl a few choice names like Jony Jackass etc.  When she asked why, I gave her a little privacy education.  She no longer asks.

At some point the junk mailers, and worse, the telemarketers need to be controlled.  I do my part but seem to be on so many lists as to make it a futile effort.  The junk mail I burn to keep warm and use telemarketers for polishing my profanity!
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I just look the clerk in the eye and say...."NO!"

They always back off....except once at a Radio Shack a couple of years ago.  I put down what I was going to buy and left the store.

I used to give them the address of the White House, but now that the Clinton's are gone, I stopped.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh yeah....wait til you try to rent a car at Dollar Rent a Car...they want a THUMBPRINT!  Hah!  Not from this citizen.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I always make something up when I am using cash.  

I wonder if I ever actually hit an address and they are getting alot of junk mail with the name Bob Boberson...hmmm

medcop
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Twice, I've had someone ask my namee when paying with cash.  Both times, I read-off their name off of their name card.  Only one of them noticed, and I think that was because I said my name was Rebecca.  I still can't believe sheeple answer questions like that.z
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I just give them an old address I used to live at years ago.  Still in the computer.  Whoever the a-hole is that lives there now is the one getting the junkmail.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 8:32:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I always make something up when I am using cash.  

medcop
View Quote

Thats exactly what I do.  Occasionally, if I can, I'll make up a name and try to get the address of the store's corporate offices off of a package (Did this at Radio Shack once; got the corp address off of a package so they'd send a fictitious employee at their own office building their own junk mail.)
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Donato's Pizza asks your name for a cash sale at the Buffet!!!!!

I gave the girl a few choice names like Jony Jackass etc.  When she asked why, I gave her a little privacy education.  She no longer asks.

At some point the junk mailers, and worse, the telemarketers need to be controlled.  I do my part but seem to be on so many lists as to make it a futile effort.  The junk mail I burn to keep warm and use telemarketers for polishing my profanity!
View Quote

LOL!!! [:D]

and to the above; yes this happens here in lynchburg va too. particularly the zipcode bit.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#12]
False names are always fun:
"Mr. Payedin Cash"

Don't ever use a charge card at B*st B*y.  They try to make you sign an electronic pad that digitally stores your signature in their computer.  You can request a paper form to sign or do like me and just mark it "X".

Link Posted: 12/4/2001 9:26:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 9:31:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I always give them my former boss's name and addy. I hated that jerk! And I too like to string along telemarketers as long as I can. Waste as much of their time as possible (unless I'm doing something else, then I just SLAM the phone). I don't get many calls these days....
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Oh yeah....wait til you try to rent a car at Dollar Rent a Car...they want a THUMBPRINT!  Hah!  Not from this citizen.
View Quote
i would ask them "does it have to be my thumb" [:D]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I use the force on them. I say, "you don't need my name and address." They reply, "I don't need your name and address." Works like a charm.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 1:24:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I usually put former work addresses.  Maybe I'll try famous criminals from now on.  
The other one that bugs me is places that require an email address to get into or download on the web.  just about as bad.  Just put in "[email protected]" instead and they can sort through their own crap.  Also works when they want email at B&M stores too.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I just lie and give an ex girlfriends address

[:D]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 1:48:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I usued to work in a RS store, and had a guy always give me "Cash" for a name... But now, I'm thinking that the idiot that hit me (and hasn't come to the negotiating table) is about to double his quota of junk mail [:D]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Actually, I memorized the local Radio Shack's address and phone number. When the stores around here, started asking for the personal information, I just rattle off Radio Shack's address and let them get the junk mail and telemarketers.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 2:53:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I always make stuff up whenever people ask me for info like that. I was doing stuff like that even when I was younger just cause I thought it was funny.

Hopefully I scared the shit out of a telemarketer earlier today. I was cleaning a few guns while I was watching Pearl Harbor on DVD with the stereo cranked up. I paused it when the phone rang and asked the lady to hang on for a minute. I put the phone right next to my AR while I loudly inserted an empty mag and dropped the bolt. I then walked to the door and open and slammed it really loud and then I propped the phone right next to the stereo speaker before I unpaused the movie right at the beginning of the main battle scene. Don't know how long she stayed on and listened, but she was gone by the time the attack ended.

Michael
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top