Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2001 9:43:15 AM EDT
I'm bidding on an item and set myself a max bid of $1,000. Then some guy who I suspect is not serious about the item bids the start price of $650 all the way up to my max bid within 20 minutes. Is there some kind of bidding etiquette or auction etiquette on bidding on items? It doesn't seem fair that one person can jack up the price to the max and stop short of placing a high bid.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#1]
On an online auction anything goes. I try to wait till the last possible minute to place my max bid if i have been out bid, this is called 'sniping" and i have even had someone complian to me that i outbid them in the last seconds. The idea is to be the high bidder and win by whatever it takes.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:02:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree with the comments above.  I don't participate in online bids very often, but I have bought things on occasion.  

Anyway, I usually look for an item where the bidding ends on a weekday during business hours (lots of people don't have computer and/or access at work).  Then, I jump in at the last minute...GOTCHA!
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:07:56 AM EDT
[#4]
By bidding on it before the last minute, all YOU do is drive the price up.  Even if you are setting a max bid way above the starting bid.  Someone bids an amount and then sees that they still are not the high bidder, so they bid again, and again, and again, until they reach their max!  This just keeps raising the price and usually causes someone to pay more than the thing is worth in the first place.  Wait til the last possible minute to bid, and you will find it works much better!  Now, if everyone would just learn this!!!
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#5]
You "suspect" he's "not serious"?  If he bid up to or past your $1000 max, that sounds pretty serious to me!  The only thing that's "fair" about these auctions is that you win if yours is the highest bid.  

I'd agree with all the other comments about not showing your cards before the game is over...  and know that there will always be another of whatever you want.

Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:22:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd agree with all the other comments about not showing your cards before the game is over...  and know that there will always be another of whatever you want.
View Quote

Exactly.  And decide what you are willing to pay BEFORE the bidding gets nuts...and stick to it!  Let the other moron overpay if he wants to.  Be smart.  I can't tell you how many times I've seen items that are so hot you can't touch them...then six months later they can't give the things away.  Wait it out.

In an auction, the seller has all the advantage.  They have multiple buyers fighting for their item.  Don't get caught up in it.  Of course, they always attempt to convey the urgency of the bidding process.  Don't fall for it.  This is the kind of shit that makes stock markets crash...idiots with desperate tendancies.  Be a rational human being.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:23:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Same thing here...Always bid in the last few seconds of an auction. It will keep a bidding war from starting if the other person doesn't have time to respond.

Usually I will only look at stuff that is closing withing the next couple of hours and will only bid on things within the last minute, so either I get it or I drive up the price on the winner who obviously wants it more than I do.

Michael
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:33:47 AM EDT
[#9]
hell, i always place my max bid first.....now you tell me to SNIPE!  Fuckers, the lot of ya!
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
hell, i always place my max bid first.....now you tell me to SNIPE!  Fuckers, the lot of ya!
View Quote

Well hell, you should know better than that! You want somebody to think that they are lowballing the seller only to jump in at the last second and screw the prospective buyer by either stealing the item from them because you outbid them or by significantly raising their bid to what your maximum is. It's the American way!

Michael
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:40:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#12]
... Would you like some cheese with that [b]Smeghead[/b]?

[img]http://www.clipartguide.com/clipart_people/rad_CRYBABY.GIF[/img]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
LOL, we might be falkers, but we sure do have some nice shit you [b]coulda[/b] had cheap!!  Hehehe!  
View Quote

screw you guyz!  fuckers.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:47:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
LOL, we might be falkers, but we sure do have some nice shit you [b]coulda[/b] had cheap!!  Hehehe!  
View Quote

screw you guyz!  fuckers.
View Quote

Oh, I almost forgot to thank you for getting my wife's lot of Beanie Babies up to $1000! I didn't think she would get half of that out of them.

Michael
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I bet my max bet first time and let the auction run. I don't go panic bet and spend more right in the last final seconds of the auction. What ever value it has to you make that bet and walk away and wait for the auction to run it's course.

I often do not feel an item I bid on is worth the reserve to me. I bid my max anyway and when auction is over often the seller e-mails me and either accepts my offer which did not meet his too high reserve or negotiates a price between individuals.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I bet my max bet first time and let the auction run. I don't go panic bet and spend more right in the last final seconds of the auction. What ever value it has to you make that bet and walk away and wait for the auction to run it's course.

I often do not feel an item I bid on is worth the reserve to me. I bid my max anyway and when auction is over often the seller e-mails me and either accepts my offer which did not meet his too high reserve or negotiates a price between individuals.
View Quote

WHA--WHA--WHAT???
that is hilarious...that may work for those of you with unlimited finances, but to us middle class people that is an idiotic way to bid...ya see the idea is to spend the least amount of money...and keep the price down...on the other hand...i sell lots of stuff on EBAY and love bidders like yourself...i make allot more money  that way...i wondered why people bid 3-4 days before the auction eneded...must be the rich people.....so please bid on my things on ebay so i can buy that new truck.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

... Is there some kind of bidding etiquette or auction etiquette on bidding on items? ...

quote]

Well, now you know what *auction etiquette* is!.  Life's a bitch, sometimes!
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#18]
If you bid your "max bid" early, you aren't going to win many auctions!  There is always some moron who is willing to overpay and outbid you!

Bid at the last second, and win the auctions CHEAP!!  You'll find that you hardly even get up to your "max bid".  If it reaches more than you are willing to pay, then don't bid on it, and bid on the one that is ending 10 minutes later!
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#19]
sheesh, ya'll just want to rub it in don't cha?
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#20]
This just keeps raising the price and usually causes someone to pay more than the thing is worth in the first place.
View Quote

A couple of weeks ago I bid on a Lyman cast bullet sizer.  I quit at $70; it sold for $120.  I ordered a new one from Midsouth for $94.  I've bid on about two dozen items and I've won one.  Most of the others went for near, at or more than new retail prices.  Morons.

Eddie.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 12:56:42 PM EDT
[#21]
The standard etiquette is that you can place a max bid for the most you're willing to spend.

If you get it for that price, be happy.  If it goes over, then also be happy that you didn't spend more than you wanted.

What is bad etiquette is whining that you could have gotten it for less.  If you want it for less, bid less.  You can alway increase it later.  As a matter of fact, most on-line auctions will be happy to notify you if you've been outbid.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
hell, i always place my max bid first.....now you tell me to SNIPE! Fuckers, the lot of ya!

sheesh, ya'll just want to rub it in don't cha?
View Quote

You could have tried asking for our advice BEFORE you got on the auction and started bidding.  Look, just consider yourself lucky.  Sure, maybe you didn't get the item you wanted.  But, you didn't lose any money either.  Right?
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#23]
And please make sure and post again when you use all this wonderful advice to get that special item at a price lower than you thought you could.  We'd all love to hear your gloat then!

Life's too short...
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:13:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm bidding on an item and set myself a max bid of $1,000. Then some guy who I suspect is not serious about the item bids the start price of $650 all the way up to my max bid within 20 minutes. Is there some kind of bidding etiquette or auction etiquette on bidding on items? It doesn't seem fair that one person can jack up the price to the max and stop short of placing a high bid.
View Quote

First of all, these guys are right - sniping is the only way to go!!  [:D]

Also, you might have been the victim of "shill bidding."  Most people bid nice round numbers, and the earliest identical bid wins.  So the seller uses another account or a friend to keep bidding, then stops when he get's to "Your bid was $1,000, you've been out bid by another bidder, the curent bid is $1,000."  If you would've bid $995, the shill would've outbid you, and the seller would have to cancel the bid.

Also, look at that seller's past (closed) auctions and the bidding records, and you can see if the same bidder pulled this crap over and over.  Be especially suspicious of new and low feedback bidders.  I've had this done to me, and when ebay looks at the actual bidding record they'll spank the seller.

This is all academic, of course, because "smeghead1016 is not a registered user."  Unless you created new accounts to dump your negative feedback.  [:P]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:32:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Is there some kind of bidding etiquette or auction etiquette
View Quote

I try to go by these:

* When you're the highest bidder...then actually buy the product
* When you place an auction and somebody is the highest bidder and pays you...actually send them the product

Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#26]
"Sniping" pre se, is not an option on gunbroker.com  I found this out one evening after my "sniping" bid with 30 seconds left. All of a sudden there was 5 minutes back on the clock!! THat is BS!!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 10:15:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Ebay works the same way, although I'm not sure of the time limit.  I think if a bid is made in the last 5 minutes, then another 5 (or is it ten?) minutes is added to the auction.  The trick is to get in before the extention time limit and hope no one else plans on doing the same thing.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ebay works the same way, although I'm not sure of the time limit.  I think if a bid is made in the last 5 minutes, then another 5 (or is it ten?) minutes is added to the auction.  The trick is to get in before the extention time limit and hope no one else plans on doing the same thing.
View Quote

[b]BZZZZZZT!!!  WRONG ANSWER!!!![/b]  But thanks for playing, and Carol Merril has some lovely parting gifts for you.....

Despite the eroneous info posted by soylentgreen, ebay auctions end on the exact second listed no matter what.  That's why sniping works so well.  All you have to do is place a high bid in the last few seconds and it's very hard to outbid you.  And the auction [b]will not[/b] be extended if you place a bid with 4 seconds left to go.

Of course, if someone else placed a hi max bid early and you didn't beat it, you have no time to place another, so it's an all or nothing deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top