Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2001 10:57:12 AM EDT
STOCKTON, Calif. -- A 12-year-old boy who fatally shot his younger brother [b]told authorities they were acting out an anti-terrorist video game[/b] when he accidentally pulled the trigger.
Jose Iniguez, 8, was shot once in the chest Thursday while his mother slept and his father worked, said Nelida Stone, a San Joaquin sheriff's deputy.
Stone said the boy told investigators he and his brother had been playing[b] "WinBack: Covert Operation," a game rated for teen-agers in which the hero has to overpower terrorists to win back a weapons complex. [/b]---

--I've never heard of "WinBack"--

The boys began to act out roles in the game when Jose said he [b]"wanted to get more real and got papa's gun," the older boy told investigators. [/b]

The younger boy got the loaded .25-caliber semiautomatic handgun from a box on top of a bookshelf. There was no ammunition clip in the gun, but [b]apparently[/b] a round was in the chamber.

The older boy said he took the gun from his brother because it was dangerous. He said he accidentally pulled the trigger.

"They were playing at the time," Stone said. "It wasn't like they were fighting. It was a tragic accident."
The shot woke Esperanza Iniguez, 37, who found her youngest son lying on the floor covered in blood.

She phoned for help, "yelling and screaming desperately that someone had been shot," Stone said. She and her older son tried to perform CPR, though they didn't know the technique.

The youth was not arrested and police said he probably will not face charges. His parents will likely be prosecuted for not securing a loaded weapon, Stone said.
The father, Jesse Iniguez, 40, said he owned the gun because he once worked as a security guard.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Is Winback some kind of Rainbow Six knockoff?

Now we have proof that both guns and games need to be banned.

I would like to say that I feel sorry about what happened, but hey, thats what you get when some 2 bit security guard gets to carry around a .25 cal Popgun.  These kids (or adults) never learn anything about gun safety.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#2]
hey wait a minute the dad broke California law!

guns be locked at all times in california

Link Posted: 11/30/2001 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#3]
If memory serves, WinBack is a N64 game from Canada.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow -- and I thought "winback" was some kind of microsoft utiity included with XP or something !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top