Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2001 9:41:38 AM EDT
I want the DOJ to monitor parcel deliveries also. Terrorists are buying weapons and ammunition too easily through the mail and these types of shipments need to be tracked and recipients investigated.

[url]www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,48711,00.html[/url]

By Declan McCullagh and Ben Polen

4:42 p.m. Nov. 28, 2001 PST

WASHINGTON -- The Department of Justice already is using its new anti-terrorism powers to monitor cable modem users without obtaining a
           judge's permission first.

A top Bush administration official lauded the controversial USA Patriot Act at a Senate hearing on Wednesday, saying that the new abilities have
           let police obtain information in investigations that was previously unavailable.

"We would not have been able to do (this) under prior law without a specific court order," said Michael Chertoff, assistant attorney general in the
           Justice Department's criminal division.

Previously, federal law said that "a cable operator shall not disclose personally identifiable information concerning any subscriber."
                     Section 211 of the USA Patriot Act changes the law to read: "A cable operator may disclose such information if the disclosure is ... to
                     a government entity."

Other USA Patriot Act sections mean that police can obtain an Internet Protocol address, which identifies a cable modem subscriber,
                     as readily as they can learn someone's telephone number.

Chertoff said the government also has used its new powers to obtain court orders for logs from Internet providers that are outside of
                     the court's traditional jurisdiction.

"We've obtained court orders directed to out-of-district Internet service providers for logging information.... We've used the
                     nationwide search warrant provision to obtain relevant information," Chertoff said. "We've used the emergency disclosure provisions to
                     support our use of information that was provided to us by an Internet service provider."
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#1]
(continued)
                     Senate Judiciary chairman Patrick Leahy called the hearing to review some of the Bush administration's recent actions that have
                     raised concerns among civil libertarians, such as detaining over a thousand suspects, and the creation of secret military tribunals to
                     try suspected terrorists.

Leahy said in his opening remarks: "Whether any or all of these ideas are popular or unpopular at the moment, as an oversight
                     committee, we accept our duty to examine them."

The anti-terrorism law that President Bush signed last month amended the Cable TV Privacy Act and Title 18, Section 2703 of the
                     U.S. Code's title 18 to faciliate greater eavesdropping.

It also made it easier for government agencies to share information with each other, Chertoff said: "We have used it to start the
                     process of sharing information between the intelligence side and the law enforcement side."

Attorney General John Ashcroft has said the FBI began using the powers mere hours after President Bush signed the law. The Justice
                     Department has prepared a "field guidance" manual (PDF) for prosecutors.

Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah, the senior Republican on the committee, said he thought the Bush administration was responding
                     appropriately to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

"The administration can take these positions," Hatch said. "They have to justify them, but they can take them, and I think there's
                     more than enough information here to justify the positions they've taken."

The Department of Defense has been responsible for drafting the guidelines for the military tribunal, but can ask the Department of
                     Justice for assistance. "The Department of Defense can ask us for help," Chertoff said.

Leahy replied: "I hope you wouldn't wait for an invitation. Pick up the phone and call them."

Attorney General Ashcroft was invited to speak at this hearing but declined to attend, and instead is scheduled to appear at a hearing
                     on Dec. 6.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Patrick Leahy is about the only democrat I respect.  I think his position on several privacy issues helps balance out some of the overreacting we're seeing.

[(:|)]
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#3]
This can't possibly be happening!  There's a Republican administration in power!
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#4]
You are better off just assuming that you are being monitered no matter where you are. Because more than likely you are!!!

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 6:59:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You are better off just assuming that you are being monitered no matter where you are. Because more than likely you are!!!
ColtShorty
View Quote

... You're right but it still sucks big time. In a way, I'm glad my Grandpa died a few years ago so that he didn't have to see this.
This would have killed him sooner.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 7:20:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This can't possibly be happening!  There's a Republican administration in power!
View Quote

Your trust is appreciated!Here's what your government has been doing while you were sleeping.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Patrick Leahy is about the only democrat I respect.  I think his position on several privacy issues helps balance out some of the overreacting we're seeing.

[(:|)]
View Quote

Leahy was the only one bringing up concerns on 9/12 when Hatch was trying to ram his "anti-terrorism" bill through the senate. No one was able to read the bill before it was voted on either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top