Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2001 4:48:33 AM EDT
Not content with getting 28,000 new federal jobs at airline security gates, the DemocRats are trying to get even more federal employees (i.e., new DemocRat voters) at the nation's nuclear plants!

[size=4]Democrats Want Nuke Plant Guards to Be Federal Workers[/size=4]
By Chris Baltimore

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic lawmakers in both houses of the U.S. Congress unveiled legislation on Thursday to bolster nuclear power plant security by requiring guards at the nation's 103 plants to become federal employees with more extensive screening and training.

If enacted, the House and Senate bills would require the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) to enact tough new security measures such as extensive background checks for guards and the preparation of plans to handle military-style attacks.

Senate sponsors of the bill did not say how much it would cost to convert guards at the 103 commercial plants into federal employees. Congress recently voted to adopt a similar approach with security inspectors at commercial U.S. airports.

The NRC has previously said it is unsure whether U.S. nuclear power plants could withstand the crash of a large airliner, such as the ones hijacked for the Sept. 11 attacks. Nuclear power reactors are typically enclosed in concrete walls of up to 4.5 feet (1.35 meters) thick.

Senate Democrats Harry [b]Reid[/b] of Nevada, Joseph [b]Lieberman[/b] of Connecticut and Hillary [b]Clinton[/b] of New York are sponsoring the Senate version of the bill, as part of the anti-terrorism effort following the Sept. 11 attacks on the United States.

In the House, the bill is championed by Massachusetts Democrat Edward Markey, a long-time critic of current nuclear plant safety.

``Congress must act to protect the American people from a potential nuclear disaster that could be more devastating than Chernobyl,'' he said, noting that Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda network has reportedly targeted nuclear plants for attack.

Markey's bill also would require states to stockpile potassium iodide within 200 miles of nuclear facilities. The drug is ``the Cipro for nuclear disaster and can prevent thousands of cases of thyroid cancer due to radioactive exposure,'' he said.

The Nuclear Energy Institute (NEI), the industry's main lobbying arm, said that plants already have enough safeguards.

The nuclear industry group called the legislation a ''political response to a problem that does not exist'' and noted that plants are already guarded by ``paramilitary'' employees who are armed and well-trained.

Nuclear power watchdog groups have urged stricter security such as soldiers and missiles stationed at each nuclear power plant.

See article at:[url]
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/nm/20011129/pl/attack_nuclear_dc_1.html[/url]

Bad news is more government employees - Good news is that one day we'll [u]all[/u] be government employees!

Eric The(ThenHowWillTheWorkGetDone?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:51:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I think EVERYONE should work for the government[rolleyes].....just like china!
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 9:36:39 PM EDT
[#2]
They are never satisfied; it's just like gun control.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#3]
This was emailed to me:

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Imbroglio%2FFAASS%2Ejpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#4]
You do realize this is all about buying votes?
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:38:10 PM EDT
[#5]
As one of the Nuclear Guards they are trying to make federal I am happy being a private employee.  If the federal job got me say a CCW permit I might like it better but fat chance that will help.  In Iowa they leave CCW permits up to the sheriff of each county and it seems in linn county you have to be LEO to get one which seems really stupid because they do not need a CCW.
john

p.s.  I know 75% of my guards are republican/pro gun and this would not change our votes.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#6]
And of course the Republicans will cave in to "compromise"
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I liked how the TV news people reported as straight fact that the reason the Republicans opposed federalizing airport security was because they were afraid of creating more Democrats.

No "Democrats claim..." or "I think..."

Just THE NEWS.

The Republicans control the "bully pulpit" plus have both the Constitution AND John Stossel to back them up on this issue but still can't fight their way out of a paper bag.

We're all doomed. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#8]
If the Republicans keep caving in like this I'm going to have to register as "decline to state". This is getting embarrassing.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#9]
This union is one of the largest contributors to the democrats.  Donations plus locked-in dem. votes.
Of course it's for the good of the nation.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#10]
my union is 75% republican and very pro gun
John
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top