Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2008 3:58:53 AM EDT
I wonder what the drug banner's think of laws like this.

California Bars Restaurant Use of Trans Fats
www.nytimes.com/2008/07/26/us/26fats.html?em&ex=1217131200&en=177d2d602bc884b7&ei=5087%0A

Article Tools Sponsored By
By JENNIFER STEINHAUER
Published: July 26, 2008

LOS ANGELES — California, a national trendsetter in all matters edible, became the first state to ban trans fats in restaurants when Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a bill Friday to phase out their use

Under the new law, trans fats, long linked to health problems, must be excised from restaurant products beginning in 2010, and from all retail baked goods by 2011. Packaged foods will be exempt.

New York City adopted a similar ban in 2006 — it became fully effective on July 1 — and Philadelphia, Stamford, Conn., and Montgomery County, Md., have done so as well.

But having the requirement imposed on the most populous state’s 88,000 restaurants, as well as its bakeries and other food purveyors, is a major gain for the movement against trans fats. That movement has been led by scientists, doctors and consumer advocates who trace the largely synthetic fat to a variety of ailments, principally heart disease.

“I think the potential here is real for a far greater understanding of the harms of trans fats, and to encourage more states to do the same,” Dr. Clyde Yancy, incoming president of the American Heart Association, said of the California law’s enactment.

Trans fats are created by pumping hydrogen into liquid oil at high temperature, a process called partial hydrogenation. The process results in an inexpensive fat that prolongs the shelf life and appearance of packaged foods and that, many fast-food restaurants say, helps make cooked food crisp and flavorful.

But trans fats have also been found in scientific studies to lower high-density lipoproteins, the “good” cholesterol, while increasing low-density lipoproteins, the “bad” cholesterol, high levels of which contribute to the onset of heart disease, the leading cause of death in California and the nation.

Dr. Yancy said a 2 percent increase in trans-fat intake could result over time in a 25 percent increase in the likelihood of developing coronary artery disease. “These are data we are just now beginning to understand,” he said. “It is pretty clear now that it was a mistake for us to embrace these fats.”

Under the new law, restaurants, bakeries, delicatessens, cafeterias and other businesses classified as “food facilities” will, in the preparation of any foods, have to discontinue use of oils, margarine and shortening containing trans fats.

Those purveyors will have to keep the labels on their cooking products so that the products can be inspected for trans fat, a process that will become part of the duties of local health inspectors. Violators will face fines beginning at $25 and increasing to as much as $1,000 for subsequent violations.

Trans fats are also linked to obesity, and the bill’s author, Tony Mendoza, a Democratic assemblyman and former fourth-grade teacher from Southern California, said he had been inspired by the number of obese children he saw in school.

“They are heavy,” Mr. Mendoza said. “They eat out a lot, and you realize there are trans fats out there. You don’t want kids to start off on the wrong foot.”

Opposition to the move came largely from the California Restaurant Association, which argued that singling out trans fats as a singularly harmful food product was arbitrary and that a mandate would prove expensive. Further, the association said, a ban for health reasons is the purview of the federal government, not the states.

“We don’t doubt the health findings surrounding trans fats,” said Lara Dunbar, the association’s senior vice president for government affairs. “Our opposition was philosophical. Banning one product isn’t necessarily the right solution.”

In addition, Ms. Dunbar said, many of the state’s restaurants have already eliminated trans fats. “We don’t think you need a mandate,” she said. “Restaurants responded to a consumer demand.”

Among national chains, Wendy’s, KFC, Taco Bell, the Cheesecake Factory and McDonald’s have all begun to move away from trans fats because of consumer concerns.

In many high-end restaurants in this state — where the organic foods movement began and where many a food trend has been born — chefs would no more use trans fats in their cooking than use paper tablecloths in their dining rooms.

Some restaurateurs, however, say the change has been costly, because there are fewer distributors of the alternative oils.

“The only effect it is going to have on the consumer is that we are going to have to raise our prices,” said Tina Pantazis, the manager of Dino’s Burgers, which operates two hamburger outlets — one in Los Angeles, the other in Azusa. Ms. Pantazis said the price of those restaurants’ French fries, which now cost $1.75 an order, would most likely be bumped up to at least $2.75.

The Dino’s in Los Angeles has already begun using new oils, she said, adding that she could taste the difference but that there had been no complaints from customers. The Azusa location will move to be compliant soon.

“I think this is good for the health of the consumer,” Ms. Pantazis said. “On the other hand, people who eat French fries are not concerned with their health that much.”

To many health policy makers, though, trans fats have become almost the enemy that cigarettes became long ago.

New York’s anti-trans-fat movement, led by Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, is still in its early days. The first phase, which began last year, made a target of frying oils and spreads. This month, the program was extended to baked goods.

Nearly all the 25,000 restaurants inspected have proved compliant, according to the city’s health department. New York has also offered a Trans Fat Help Center where bakers were schooled in the use of alternative fats.

California, which supplies a great deal of the nation’s specialty crops, already has some of the toughest food restrictions in the nation, including a ban on junk food and trans fats in school meals.

On Friday, Mr. Schwarzenegger, a Republican whose positions on consumer issues often align closely with those of Democrats who control the Legislature, praised the new statute, which the lawmakers passed last week.

“California is a leader in promoting health and nutrition, and I am pleased to continue that tradition by being the first state in the nation to phase out trans fats,” the governor said in a statement. “Consuming trans fat is linked to coronary heart disease, and today we are taking a strong step toward creating a healthier future for California.”
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 4:03:46 AM EDT
[#1]
*statist jackass* "It's the law-the government is providing order! You can't allow people to pursue happiness willy nilly-there's no constitutional right to affordable and easily available Big Macs..." *statist jackass*

Fucking ridiculous.
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 4:05:24 AM EDT
[#2]
People should not eat that shit but we do not need the Gub'ment telling us this.
Thats what parents are for.
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 4:06:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I have told people on many occasions that government will start telling what we can/can't eat and use drug laws as the precedent and that government run healthcare will be the avenue/justification for further control over our lives.
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 4:13:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Mexicans aren't going to like this.....
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 4:16:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have told people on many occasions that government will start telling what we can/can't eat and use drug laws as the precedent and that government run healthcare will be the avenue/justification for further control over our lives.

If we the people get commy care look for the Feds to deny coverage
for smokers and fast food fattys because they will be deemed high risk.
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 4:25:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yup, this will soon give the commie fucks the ability to outlaw eating meat and anything else that is enjoyable.  We peasants do not deserve to enjoy life...

Link Posted: 7/26/2008 4:50:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Now if they banned high fructose corn syrup I might be inclined to look the other way....
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 4:56:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Anybody ever see how much Lard goes into a Tortilla?

HOLY CRAP!!!

I can only imagine the replacement for trans fats being just as healthy in the proportions needed for McDonalds food.

No crisco, so we will use LARD!!!

Will this upset the Muslims?

The Vegans will have a fit as well I suppose.

No??

S-28

Link Posted: 7/26/2008 5:00:18 AM EDT
[#9]
This is so fucking stupid.

They are taking over what people should sell in  a free enterprise system??.

They are saying that their constituents can not be trusted with their own health. what is next?

rantish off
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 5:08:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Pork fat rules.
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 5:15:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Good for California
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 5:17:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Californis is one of the worlds biggest gasoline users, don't they use more then that vast majority of COUNTRIES?  They are also one of the largest contributors of pollution  and CO when you add in their yearly fires.

But "trans fat" is a huge issue...............

I can easily limit my trans fats, all I have to do is cook for myself instead of eating out or heating up already prepared foods.

Oh, and you are BROKE AHHHHnold, flat busted BROKE, go back to your office and figure out how to fix your own problems before attempting to control others lives.

[And this dip ran for office touting fiscal responsibilty. Of course the other choice was no better.
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 6:09:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Now if they banned high fructose corn syrup I might be inclined to look the other way....

+1 that crap is 1000000% worse for you than this stuff and yet it is still used
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 6:18:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 that crap is 1000000% worse for you than this stuff and yet it is still used

Yep, but if Cali bans trans fat maybe the producers will start giving us options. And maybe, hopefully, one of those options would be food without HFCS
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 6:21:45 AM EDT
[#15]
This is insanity.
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 6:22:52 AM EDT
[#16]
true, true. I really hate when the government gets involved and bans stuff like this but maybe something good will come out of it, because we can't stop this ban only voice our protest about because it's already been signed into law. California has a ton of other issues and they need to focus on those before controlling individuals lives.
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 6:24:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Independent Thought Alarms, coming soon to the Peoples Republic of California.
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 6:24:49 AM EDT
[#18]
bring back lard..........
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 6:25:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
true, true. I really hate when the government gets involved and bans stuff like this but maybe something good will come out of it, because we can't stop this ban only voice our protest about because it's already been signed into law. California has a ton of other issues and they need to focus on those before controlling individuals lives.

State issue. California can ban hair for all I care. Long as that shit stays at the state level where it belongs. However, their choices and laws may have a beneficial impact on my life so.... If they ban trans fat and I get more options, who am I to complain.
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 6:28:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
bring back lard..........

Winnar!
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 6:31:59 AM EDT
[#21]
So how are they going to enforce this law?

If you call 911 and tell them someone sold you some trans-fats, they are going to laugh at you and hang up.  

This is more feel good bullshit.  Millions of laws, that are never enforced.
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 6:33:08 AM EDT
[#22]
I have avoided them for years, but teh bannination is totalitarian.

Mandatory disclosure would be OK.
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 8:03:39 AM EDT
[#23]
There are people who honestly and fervently believe that there is no facet of your life that the government shouldn't have control over.

There was a time when even proposing a law like this would be considered lunacy.

Now? Hell, there are people in this thread saying, "This could be a good thing".

Yeah, right.
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 8:06:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 8:12:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 8:36:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have avoided them for years, but teh bannination is totalitarian.

Mandatory disclosure would be OK.

Yup. We are a free country to pick and choose if we want to smoke, we smoke if we want to eat Trans Fat we should be able to. I think it is absolute BS to "Ban" it but you should disclose it to allow US to choose if we want it or not.

Now being that we are rapidly becoming the "Fattest" nation in the world, We should become more educated in what is healthy and what isnt.

Oh and if Ahhhhhhnold wants to do something about fat, Bring back MANDATORY P.E. in schools, this 1 hour a week is Bullshit.

Totally agree with the PE, funny how fat kid syndrome expolded around the same time PE was beginning to be cut.

Gotta have those mandated PC courses tho, that way those fat kids can feel better about themselves emotionally.
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#27]

Will never be the same...
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 8:10:24 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
farm2.static.flickr.com/1055/562411329_ccfb14c6fe.jpg

Will never be the same...

I'm very sorry to disappoint you, R-32...

Of course, what's a great burger without great fries? At In-N-Out, we know a french fry is only as good as the potato it comes from. That’s why we use the highest grade potatoes and ship them fresh from the farm. Then we cut them right in the store, one potato at a time. And cook them in 100% pure, cholesterol-free vegetable oil. To top it all off, we also make our delicious shakes from real ice cream. We wouldn’t do it any other way. Because when it comes to burgers, fries and shakes, getting fresh is a good thing.

www.in-n-out.com/freshness.asp
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 8:17:28 AM EDT
[#29]
I dont think any form of government should tell its citizens what they can and can not put in their body.  No good comes out of this.  While we probably wont have illegal jelly donuts, this particularly is directed at the war on drugs.

The government gained too much power and handed power and money to evil individuals by making them illegal.  Law makers should have learned their lesson from the prohibition.

Personal responsibility FTW!
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I could easily conceive of a day when every home in America has a treadmill connected to the Internet. Do your mandatory hour a day or receive a $50 fine. Make sure your kids do their hour, or BCW will take them away from you.
Fail to meet minimum government weight standards... lose your health benefits.

Sound crazy?

Yeah... as crazy as the government telling you what you can and cannot eat.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top