Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2001 8:27:08 AM EDT
Ok, I am totally stuck here.  I am having no luck thinking of a good gift idea or two for my girlfriend.  She is not into shooting at all, so no gun-related stuff.

So what are some gift ideas you guys have pulled off that really were a hit?  My budget is pretty good, so we can get fancy if needed.

Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:29:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, you can never go wrong with jewelry...

Viper Out
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#2]
OK, coming from a girl's perspective...if you really can't think of anything, try to find out something she will definitely like.. Say perfume, jewelry, various scented candles and bath oils, or lingerie..you can't go wrong with Victoria's secret as long as you know her size..
Just some tips..
-Andrea
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#3]
My wife says the best gift I ever got for her was an open shopping spree for clothes with a $500 limit.

I agreed to make a day of it and go with her. I even gave my honest opinion about outfits as I patiently waited for her to try them all on and model for me. I also helped her accessorize.

I think she liked me coming along in a cooperative (neutered) spirit as much as getting to shop for clothes.

I swear that girl is trying to give Imelda Marcos a run for the record.

(edited because I can't type today)
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#4]
ANYTHING that makes her feel good about herself.
1)diamond(s)
2)massage
3)facial
4)mani/pedicure
5)Victoria's Secret
6)one gift certificate to EACH of her favorite stores
7)very expensive wine
8)anything that both of you can do together ~ a vacation, (shyt, a week long cruise w/ everything is about $200.00 each!) theater/symphony tix, etc.
just a short list of gifts that got great feedback in the past! good luck!
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Tie a ribbon around the "traditional" gift.

[sex]
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:08:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Jewelry is always a good standby, but EVERY man gives women jewelry.  Giving a good gift is not hard.  It just takes some insight into the person.  Does she want you to ever do something with her that you don't?  You'd be amazed at how working that into the gift can make it much better to her.

Like Ben Dover did, taker her clothes shopping  and help pick out clothes for her.  Most women LOVE this, and you actually get to help pick out what she wears.  Women lovet his kind of attention, and you get brownie points.

Stuff from Victoria's Secret is ok, but I find it's always best to get a gift certificate or to let her pick it out.  If you get her something a size too big, she's going to think you think she's fat, regardless of her size.  If you get it too small, she's not going to wear it and it's pointless.  The gift certificate way works best, since she gets to pick it out and surprise you with it later.

Is she the romantic type?  Rose petals leading to a nice candle lit dinner with some soft music (THE ONLY THING KENNY G. IS GOOD FOR! [}:D]), then another trail to the bedroom with a NICE terrycloth robe and invitation to a warm bath where you massage her feet or wash her hair will do wonders for her, and get you some touchy feely time afterwards.

Remember, it's not how much you spend, it's how much you thought about it sometimes.  Unless it's jewelry, then it IS how much you spend! [:D]

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Vacuum cleaner bags, or even a newer vacuum.  New towels to dry the dishes.  Couple new pots and pans and large bucket to wash the floor.  Maybe one of those new fangled mops too.

[;)][;)][;)]  <- to make sure everyone knows my real intent.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 3:32:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My wife says the best gift I ever got for her was an open shopping spree for clothes with a $500 limit.

I agreed to make a day of it and go with her. I even gave my honest opinion about outfits as I patiently waited for her to try them all on and model for me. I also helped her accessorize.

I think she liked me coming along in a cooperative (neutered) spirit as much as getting to shop for clothes.

I swear that girl is trying to give Imelda Marcos a run for the record.

(edited because I can't type today)
View Quote

Man can you give my bf Liquid Snake some pointers...I'd love that for a gift!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 3:33:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Jewelry is always a good standby, but EVERY man gives women jewelry.  Giving a good gift is not hard.  It just takes some insight into the person.  Does she want you to ever do something with her that you don't?  You'd be amazed at how working that into the gift can make it much better to her.

Like Ben Dover did, taker her clothes shopping  and help pick out clothes for her.  Most women LOVE this, and you actually get to help pick out what she wears.  Women lovet his kind of attention, and you get brownie points.

Stuff from Victoria's Secret is ok, but I find it's always best to get a gift certificate or to let her pick it out.  If you get her something a size too big, she's going to think you think she's fat, regardless of her size.  If you get it too small, she's not going to wear it and it's pointless.  The gift certificate way works best, since she gets to pick it out and surprise you with it later.

Is she the romantic type?  Rose petals leading to a nice candle lit dinner with some soft music (THE ONLY THING KENNY G. IS GOOD FOR! [}:D]), then another trail to the bedroom with a NICE terrycloth robe and invitation to a warm bath where you massage her feet or wash her hair will do wonders for her, and get you some touchy feely time afterwards.

Remember, it's not how much you spend, it's how much you thought about it sometimes.  Unless it's jewelry, then it IS how much you spend! [:D]

God Bless Texas
View Quote

Man this guy is even better yet! please give my bf Liquid Snake some pointers on the romantic stuff..
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#11]

God Bless Texas
View Quote

Ahhh....the Wolf is a romantic at heart. But he is also poor [:P] When I did have a Ms. Wolf I dont think I ever went wrong with scented candles, or lotions and potions from Bath & Body Works. Make an evening out of it, like GBT suggested. Cook the nice dinner (ummm...if you dont cook, you have to know someone who can cook for you, or there are men proof reciepes on campbellsoup.com or kraft.com), spread the roses around (dont forget to put some petals on the bed and a rose on her pillow. The bath is where the Bath & Body goodies come in (hey bathing her would be as much fun for you, as it is for her [:D]). I could do an entire night like that for not even $40, including groceries, bath & body, candles, and roses (shop around for the flowers), and an evening like that would last for a LONG time.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 8:35:59 AM EDT
[#12]
BeerSlayer - sorry, dude, she is not into guns.  She is into swords and knives and knows how to use them.

Wolf - good idea, but we do that once in a while allready.  Looking for a really inspirational idea here....

Ladies?  Can I get some help here?

Link Posted: 11/28/2001 8:40:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Get some crayons and make her a certificate redeemable for unlimited mustache rides in the upcoming year.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 8:40:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Airline fares are cheap now,  take her to the Caribbean for a week.  USVI or BVI or anywhere down there.

Link Posted: 11/28/2001 8:58:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Ideas...hmm... there are the practical ones that she may appreciate and use often i.e. if you live where it snows, get her a heated ice scraper or one of those remote car starters.  I know it sounds silly but I try to get things that are a combination of functional and just fun.  She may not get all googly-eyed over it now but in the dead of winter she WILL thank you.  Also, this may sound strange, but try 300 plus thread count sheets... dang but those feel good on a naked body! [;)]  

Practical gifts are to be mixed with luxurious gifts.  Go to HER salon and ask if they have a manicure/pedicure/facial/haircut package... one of those "day of beauty" things.  A good chenille throw for cuddling up on the couch together.  A pashmina scarf.  Jewelry is iffy unless you are absolutely sure of her taste.  I've gotten stuff that was very sweet but soooo not me.  

Start poking around about maybe a secret desired gift.  Case in point, there is a pair of boots that I adore but at $130 I think I'll hold off.  Find out what that "thing" is and THAT'S the gift she'll flip for.

As for little money and all romance?  May I suggest "Love Coupons."  Good for one backrub, another for a meal fed by hand, another for a pass that she can redeem for any activity that she wants you to go to and you can't back out or bitch about it.  My most successful, though, was a coupon for "Whatever tickles your fancy or whatever you fancy to have tickled"... leaves soooooo much room for the imagination and she may even see it as a green light to introduce a fantasy of her's to your relationship.  [:D]

Good luck!  Let me know if you need more ideas.. it's helpful to know what hobbies and interests she has.      
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Diamonds are girl best friends.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top