Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2001 8:29:27 PM EDT
What match ammo works the best in your Remington 700 PSS or 700 PSS LTR?

I've got a box of Gold Medal Match with Sierra Match King bullets by Federal(168gr) and a box of Winchester Match Boattail hollowpoints (168gr) Am going to the range tomorrow (weather permitting) to try out my rifle.

Just curious to know if there is a single round out there that seems to consistently be a winner in the 700 PSS or PSS LTR.

Link Posted: 11/24/2001 8:36:57 PM EDT
[#1]
My LTR responds well to Federal Gold Medal Match in both 168 gr and 175 gr.

168 gr (GM308M) is good to 900 yds and 175 gr (GM308M2) is good for 1200 yds.  The bullets stay supersonic to those ranges.

I'll shoot the 168 gr to 600 yds and the 175 gr to 1000.

I believe the LTR was designed to take advantage of those two loads and they are currently in use by several agencies.

You might also want to try Black Hills ammo in the same ranges.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 8:42:22 PM EDT
[#2]
what kind of grouping you gettings at 600yds? Are you talking about the 20" LTR? Just curious...
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 8:57:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had good luck with Federal 168gr Gold Medal Match and Black Hills 168gr Moly Match. Here are a couple of 100yd 5 shot groups:
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/p08e2bf1c36cfc8a04e16f3c8353c336b/fe20f58b.jpg.orig.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 11:36:13 PM EDT
[#4]
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/024/26/R0/V3/LV51439.jpg[/img]

My LTR (pictured) excels with Federal Gold Medal 168 gr with groupings similar to the above post if shooting from the bench.

For hunting I'll use Winchester Supreme 168gr Hollow Point Boattail Match. I believe that the bullet is the same used in Federal GM's. Not as good as Federal GM's, but still produces sub moa groupings and plenty enough accuracy for hunting. I get these for $15/box through a good friend, so my wallet doesn't hurt as bad as with the Federal GM's.

Have a great time at the range! BTW, I know a lot of folks consider barrel break-in just a bunch of voodoo, but recently I met a fellow LTR owner who never bothered with the barrel break-in procedure, saying that he "just shot it." Shooting one bench next to me I curiously observed his groupings. Not that great, but then again I don't think he was using Federal GM ammo. Before he left he cleaned his LTR and I asked if I could inspect the bore for curiousity sake. Copper fouling very noticeable. My barrel, on the other hand, which was properly broken in, cleans up real easy with hardly any trace of copper upon visual examination. Either way, voodoo or not, I don't think barrel break-in could do any harm. Just my .02 cents.

-jsr75
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 11:38:23 PM EDT
[#5]
what would be my best bet for a scope, for my LTR? any suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 11:43:44 PM EDT
[#6]
ESP-

Forgot to mention a great compliment to your LTR: [url]http://www.ballisticards.com/[/url] can make you a ballistic chart to your custom specs. i.e. I have the Tactical Military/LE ballistic card for use with my LTR using mil-dot reticle, tropical temperature and humidity, sea level elevation, and for specific use with Federal Gold Medal 168gr. Got the short range version where you zero at 100 yards. This will give you all the ballistic info from 25 yards to 500. You can also order the longer range where you have a 200 yard zero. You can just call them up and they'll quickly formulate what you need. My ballistic card is always with my LTR wherever it goes.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 12:06:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

What kind of base/rings you using?

Application? (i.e. bench, hunting,...etc)

Price range? (i.e. >$1,000 = Leupold Mk IV-M1/M3, Night Force NXS, US Optics)

Link Posted: 11/25/2001 12:28:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Not sure if I should use weaver or Leupold rings, I want the gun to work for me in all aspects of the field. I will be using it for hunting and would also like to do some long range tack driving [:)] I can deal with anywhere from $500 to $800 in price, but I am an FFL so I can prob. get a little more expensive scope in that price range from one of my wholesalers. This is actually my first bolt gun so I am not that schooled on them. I guess I've been playing around with the AW's to long. I've had the rifle sitting in the closet since last year and the only mods I have made to is a Harris bi pod.  I think this is going to be to heavy and awkward to use as a hunting gun, after I'm finished.

Link Posted: 11/25/2001 1:41:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Not sure if I should use weaver or Leupold rings, I want the gun to work for me in all aspects of the field. I will be using it for hunting and would also like to do some long range tack driving [:)] I can deal with anywhere from $500 to $800 in price, but I am an FFL so I can prob. get a little more expensive scope in that price range from one of my wholesalers. This is actually my first bolt gun so I am not that schooled on them. I guess I've been playing around with the AW's to long. I've had the rifle sitting in the closet since last year and the only mods I have made to is a Harris bi pod.  I think this is going to be to heavy and awkward to use as a hunting gun, after I'm finished.

View Quote

I have performed the exact same modifications on my 700(P).  All I need are the rings and  Leupold Mark 4 M1-10x40mm.  Oh ya, another Pelican case.

I also have a pre-ban bolt.  It doesn't have that locking safety gizmo near the end of the bolt.  Police rifles are not subject to the same safety standards as civilian rifles?
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/p9fd9afd9398df57d09293f19e5d33150/fe1d0fca.jpg.orig.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 7:05:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I am having fantastic luck at 300 yards using Federal GM 168's the last group I shot was about 5/8" at 300 yards. the only mod to the rifle was I cleaned up the trigger to a crisp 2lbs.  

I have found however that it likes to be copper fouled.  I have it sighted in for a clean barrel, first and second shot are exactly where I want it, the rest are in a group like the one listed above about 1 1/2" towards 4 o'clock.  This is not heat related, I left it fouled overnight and went back to the range and fired 2 more 5 shot groups both under an inch at 300. The sad part is I haven't put on my perminant set of rings yet, I have a cheap set of weaver bases and a cheap set od tasco rings.  ( I couldn't wait to go and shoot it when I got it )  I plan of putting the Leupold Double Dovetail rings and bases on it.

I definately enjoy this rifle, and plan on getting the LTR just because I like this one so much.  

[img]http://home.epix.net/~angrytek/700p.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 7:08:45 AM EDT
[#11]
jsr75;
  What kind of shooting mat is that in your pic?  Who sells them?
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 8:14:26 AM EDT
[#12]
SKS7 sez..."what would be my best bet for a scope, for my LTR? any suggestions?"

I have a Premier Reticles modified Leupold Mk4 M1-16 mounted on mine.  Not the ideal scope for most folks but it's what I'm most familiar with.

Probably anything with a max magnification of 15X will do fine.  I strongly recommend an adjustable scope to best compliment the LTR's strengths.

Since I remove the scope for travel and also pack a spare optic, I use Warne detachable rings on Mark4 bases.  For most folks any good 4-screw ring/base will work fine.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
jsr75;
  What kind of shooting mat is that in your pic?  Who sells them?
View Quote

Bob-

It's an Eagle Industries Sniper Rifle Cover and Pad (Eagle part # DB-BS). Very simple design and very versatile. Use it as a pad, drag bag, storage, or carry it back pack style with nylon straps. There are paracord in 2" increments across the body on the top side for attaching camouflage. Also seen attached is the folding ammo pouch, .308 (part # FAP-.308). Holds 20 rounds and can also be attached to belts, vests, etc. with use of its military side clips. Range finder and binos are sitting on a padded scope cover (part # PSC) which doubles as an elbow or ground pad.

-jsr75

Edited to say that Brad from lightfighter.com has the best prices and even better service. He even went so far as to include a free Eagle padded nylon strap! Excellent in every respect.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 10:50:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I remember Assault Systems (I think it was them) came out with this really trick shooting mat that had a rail built in to hold the feet of a harris bipod among some other neat features. These things came out right at the start of the "tactical" craze, but I have seen them around the past few years.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 11:31:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the info on the mats....

Also have to ask a really newbie question about my PSS since I haven't owned anything with this type of finish.

From Remington's website;

Unless you properly clean off the warehouse packing product, cosmoline and completely oil the parkerization, rust can begin to form in a very short amount of time. When first receiving and cleaning the parkerized firearm, literally spray the finish (with a great product like RemOil) until it drips wet, go have a cup of coffee, then return and towel dry. This gives the lubricant time to fill the pores of the parkerization.
View Quote

Has anyone done this with their PSS?
What does it do to the matte black finish on the barrel?
I guess you would want to pat it down with a lint free towel instead of wipe it dow, right?
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 2:49:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info on the mats....

Also have to ask a really newbie question about my PSS since I haven't owned anything with this type of finish.

From Remington's website;

Unless you properly clean off the warehouse packing product, cosmoline and completely oil the parkerization, rust can begin to form in a very short amount of time. When first receiving and cleaning the parkerized firearm, literally spray the finish (with a great product like RemOil) until it drips wet, go have a cup of coffee, then return and towel dry. This gives the lubricant time to fill the pores of the parkerization.
View Quote

Has anyone done this with their PSS?
What does it do to the matte black finish on the barrel?
I guess you would want to pat it down with a lint free towel instead of wipe it dow, right?
View Quote

Hey thanks for the heads up.  I'll do it this week.  Good thing I just picked it up last Wednesday.  Rust can't come that fast, can it?

Think I'll use Castrol GunLube.  Leaves a nice thin coat on guns and knives alike!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top