BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2001 3:29:36 PM EDT
Yes or no?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to have one of those, and I believe that the manual said to use snap caps for dry fire practice.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#2]
No, dont dry fire it without anything in the chamber....get a couple of snap caps.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#3]
In the military we snap in with our weapons all the time.  I have probable pulled the trigger on my issue M-9 several thousand times in the last several months with no adverse results to the weapon.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, thanks.

Man, is AR15.com GREAT or what?
If you have a question all you have to do is ask and within 10 minutes you will have a ton of awnsers!
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#5]
The manual says use a snapcap.  I didn't believe them until I broke the firing pin on my 92G.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In the military we snap in with our weapons all the time.  I have probable pulled the trigger on my issue M-9 several thousand times in the last several months with no adverse results to the weapon.
View Quote

Hey, thats [b]MY tax money[/b] you are abusing there mister! You keep that up and I am going to take your toys away from you and send you to your room.

[;D]
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#7]
The gear is not being abused, there are service weapons out their with several thousand round on top several thousand dry fire pulls on them.  Of the 30 M9s I "own" I have had 3 go dead lined for bent spring guides, 1 for mouse trap trigger return spring going out, but never for a broken firing pin.  The same can be said for M16s, in the recruit depots, they have hundreds of thousands of dry fires on them, without the pin failing.  The 116 I "own" all have several thousand dry fire pulls on them, and they all seem to work.  If the weapons/firing pin is so fragile to go out from dry firing, it would last very long under the dynamic action of firing the weapon.

I honestly think snap caps are a boondoogle to get just a little more money from people.  Most weapons don't need them, and the military has been snapping in with center fire weapons without them since at least the M1903 with no adverse effect to the weapon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top