Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2001 6:25:25 PM EDT
My twin brother is a regular church goer and i found a church info pamphlet that actually made me mad. it titled "Racial integration and America's social upheaval" by Charles A. jennings.

The question asked under the title is "Did our forefathers intend for racial diversity to be a major factor in America's socio-political structure?" the author believes that the cause of the Civil war was over the presence of Blacks in the US. Many other works of literature show that the war was over state rights and money. unfortuanetley most blacks see the civil war as a war over slavery. this is used by seperatist to justify the idea that Blacks are the cause of "upheavel". just like today's crime statistics, people are only looking at color, not attitude and culture.

here are the quotes from Abraham lincoln-

"You and we are different races.  We have between us a broader physical difference than exists between any other two races. Whether it be right or wrong i need not discuss; but this physical difference is a great disadvantage to us both, as i think. Your race suffers very greatly, many of them, by lining among us, while ours suffer from your presence. In a word, we suffer on each other. If this be admitted, it affords a reason, at least, why we should be separated.

"Even when you cease to be slaves you are yet far removed from being placed on an equality with white people. On this broad continent not a single man of your race is made the equal of a single man of ours.

"Go where you are treated the best, and the  ban is still upon you. I cannot alter it if i would. See your present condition. the Country engaged in war, our white men cutting one another's throats-and then consider what we know to be the truth;- but for your race among us there would be no war, although many men engaged on either side do not care for you one way or another. It is better for us both therefore to be separated." -from a speech given to 500 free Blacks at the White House April 14, 1862.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I would not be surprised, though I haven't seen any proof.  But what difference does it make?  Just because Lincoln or someone else in history believed it doesn't make it right.  Lincoln had plenty of failings and foibles.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#2]
cont.

from the above it seems as ir Abraham Lincoln thought the Blacks were less than Whites and uses them as war propaganda. as if it were their falt for southern succession. try this quote-

"I will say, then, that i am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races-that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and i will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races...I, as much as any other man, am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race."
-from the 1858 Lincoln-Douglas debate, "the south was right", page 27

One quote from the pamphlet was agreeable, at least for the time issued.

"such separation, if affected at all, must be affected by colonization...what colonization most needs is a hearty will...let us be brought to believe that it is morally right, and at the same time favorable to, or at least not against, our interests to transfer the African to his native clime, and we shall find a way to do it, however great the task may be." "the south was right" by J.R.& W.D.Kennedy, page 28

during that time there was the American Colonization Society (ACS) that supported a free all expeses paid trip for slaves and former slaves to return to their homeland. unfortuanetly most held the belief that Blacks were genetically inferior to whites.

If most are all of the above is true, then my opinion of Lincoln and early american has been lowered. this show a great degree of hypocrasy on their part. that the "Rule of Law" and naturally born rights is not equally shared by all men. early americans had it right concerning the role of government, but not when it came to the perception of a mans worth and place in a "free" society.

if your going to segregate people, then why not segregrate ideas? why not thought control?

there are alot of Blacks who think Abraham a hero. if further research continues to confirm my belief that Abraham was full of shit, then i will be quick in the future to point out the racist for what he really was.

lib
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I highly doubt that Lincolin was a sepratist, Have you ever read his Second Inaugural Address,
the Emancipation Proclamation or the Gettysburg address? That should change your mind.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Isn't Spielberg making a movie about Lincoln containing some of these controversial facts.

I don't know about Lincoln being a separatist but it looks like he believed in some the same prejudices that the majority of people held at that time. As for the Civil War, slavery was only a small part. There was a lot of pressure from Christian abolistionists. The main reason for the war was to preserve the Union.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 2:15:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 4:38:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 8:44:35 AM EDT
[#7]
A. Lincoln's plan for the nations blacks was to deport them to an island - I forget which one.

Lincoln was simply a man of his time.

The Civil War was fought over power - disguised as the rights-of-the-states.  The slavery issue was not used by the north until well after the war started and was used then for purposes of recruiting.

Historical truth and facts must be always be feared by liberals.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A. Lincoln's plan for the nations blacks was to deport them to an island - I forget which one.

Lincoln was simply a man of his time.

The Civil War was fought over power - disguised as the rights-of-the-states.  The slavery issue was not used by the north until well after the war started and was used then for purposes of recruiting.

Historical truth and facts must be always be feared by liberals.
View Quote

Yeah, it is hard to judge men of the past by todays standards.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top