Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2008 8:02:55 PM EDT
Video

Video is about half way down the page.

1.  Video of Champps dinner in honor of Senator Richard "Banjo" Saslaw now online!

As you might recall, Fairfax County Senator Saslaw told the Virginia Senate that anyone who dared to open carry in a NoVA restaurant that is licensed to serve alcoholic  beverages would be asked to leave.

We knew that was baloney and had an AP reporter document a series of luncheons and a dinner in NoVA, with VCDL members carrying openly as required by law.

The video of the VCDL "Saslaw" dinner at Champps restaurant in  
northern Virginia is now on the VCDL web site!   Thanks to VCDL member  
Matt Gottshalk for producing and editing the video - a professional job as usual.

In the video you'll see the general manager of Champps speaking first,  followed by me, followed by Delegate Dick Black.  Delegate Black spoke on behalf of Senator Ken Cuccinelli, who had a prior speaking engagement that evening.

You will also see Board member Bruce Jackson explaining briefly to other guests in the restaurant why we were there that night, followed by all the VCDL members raising their hands to indicate that they were lawfully armed.

Text quoted from the Virginia Citizens Defense League Mini-Alert.

NOTE: THE FIRST SPEAKER IS THE RESTAURANT MANAGER.

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#1]

ETA - the restaurant manager any relation to Ben Vereen?????
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 8:13:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent!
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#4]
for some reason quicktime wont load for me, but yeah, fuck saslaw
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 12:57:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Brilliant!

I wish that every state had such an organized and effective grassroots organization.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:32:28 AM EDT
[#6]
But...  the children!  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:47:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:51:08 AM EDT
[#8]
The VCDL is one of the best pro-2a groups around.

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:43:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Great job guys! We get to have that right, here in GA on July 1st. Can't wait.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:49:04 AM EDT
[#10]
OUTFUCKING STANDING!

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:16:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Wow!

The VCDL must have a lot of public support. Do this same thing in MA, and they'd send in the SWAT teams.

Or, just summarily revoke everyone's gun licenses....

Don't let it happen in your state!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:17:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I would like to formally invite VCDL to visit West Virginia. (not that anyone even blinks at open carry here, but it would still be cool)
The only time I open carry is during the Apple Butter festival that draws in hundreds of hippies from MD and DC. Usually good for a laugh.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:30:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The VCDL is one of the best pro-2a groups around.

QFTMFT!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:44:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Saslaw can blow me.  Good work, VCDL!

-James
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:04:21 AM EDT
[#15]
VCDL member

www.wtop.com/?sid=1401746&nid=25

SNIP>>>>>>>>>>>
While Virginia is generally considered friendly to gun owners, it is only one of two states along with Montana, that requires people to openly carry arms in restaurants that serve alcohol, according to the Web site opencarry.org, which promotes and monitors gun owners' rights. Eleven states ban guns altogether in restaurants that serve alcohol, while the rest make no distinction between open and concealed carry.

At Champps, several patrons failed to notice that so many customers were armed, even though dozens of gun-toting men and women had walked right past them.

Tomas Nolasco of Reston said he hadn't noticed the guns and didn't care as long as they weren't drinking. (They weren't.) His wife was a little more concerned.

"There are families in here, children in here," Cathy Nolasco said. "It bothers me."

Brendan Fitzgerald of Reston and his friends noticed the guns immediately. They were curious but unconcerned.

"I'm just laughing because it's totally unnecessary in my opinion," Fitzgerald said, pointing to one individual who not only was armed but also had several clips of ammunition attached to his belt.

"This is Reston, not Southeast," said his friend Nathan Dicken, contrasting the northern Virginia suburb to a section of the District of Columbia that has been known for gun violence.

The Southeast area this stupid bitch is speaking about is in DC, just a few minutes by car from her safe little world. THE SOUTHEAST AREA YOU SHOULD CARRY ALL THE TIME BUT YOU CANT ITS AGAINST THE LAW TO CARRY AT ALL IN DC.

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:06:59 AM EDT
[#16]
tag
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:19:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Tag for later.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:44:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
VCDL member

www.wtop.com/?sid=1401746&nid=25

SNIP>>>>>>>>>>>
While Virginia is generally considered friendly to gun owners, it is only one of two states along with Montana, that requires people to openly carry arms in restaurants that serve alcohol, according to the Web site opencarry.org, which promotes and monitors gun owners' rights. Eleven states ban guns altogether in restaurants that serve alcohol, while the rest make no distinction between open and concealed carry.

At Champps, several patrons failed to notice that so many customers were armed, even though dozens of gun-toting men and women had walked right past them.

Tomas Nolasco of Reston said he hadn't noticed the guns and didn't care as long as they weren't drinking. (They weren't.) His wife was a little more concerned.

"There are families in here, children in here," Cathy Nolasco said. "It bothers me."

Brendan Fitzgerald of Reston and his friends noticed the guns immediately. They were curious but unconcerned.

"I'm just laughing because it's totally unnecessary in my opinion," Fitzgerald said, pointing to one individual who not only was armed but also had several clips of ammunition attached to his belt.

"This is Reston, not Southeast," said his friend Nathan Dicken, contrasting the northern Virginia suburb to a section of the District of Columbia that has been known for gun violence.

The Southeast area this stupid bitch is speaking about is in DC, just a few minutes by car from her safe little world. THE SOUTHEAST AREA YOU SHOULD CARRY ALL THE TIME BUT YOU CANT ITS AGAINST THE LAW TO CARRY AT ALL IN DC.

Not for much longer (DC vs Heller) hopefully!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:48:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Tag
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:43:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:48:05 AM EDT
[#22]
May good fortune and prosperity shine upon the VCDL!  
They almost make me want to move to VA.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:48:39 AM EDT
[#23]

I'm just laughing because it's totally unnecessary in my opinion," Fitzgerald said,

It's totally unnecessary right up to the point when it becomes completely necessary.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:13:48 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
for some reason quicktime wont load for me, but yeah, fuck saslaw

mine wasnt either... I went to the quicktime website and downloaded the new version.... it worked great after that...... 1 minute download!!! and worth every second!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:52:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Sirs, another VCDL member here!  

It warms my heart to have the opportunity to participate in such events with fellow VCDL members.  Mr. Van Cleve is quite aggressive getting the message out to those on his email list, it makes me proud to live in Virginia.  JMHO, 7zero1
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
May good fortune and prosperity shine upon the VCDL!  
They almost make me want to move to VA.

You should..2 to 3 inches of snow a year

I live here because I like it not because I have to.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
You should..2 to 3 inches of snow a year

Yeah, like I can ski on that!!  

VA is not for skiers!!  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted: But...  the children!  
... aren't packing their own .22 pistols. That needs to be fixed at the next meal meeting.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Nice...
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Tag for later.

I viewed the video. Outstanding! Keep making progress in my old stomping ground!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#31]
can someone please post this up on youtube so those who cant get it to work have a chance to watch
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:27:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I need to start making some VCDL meetings.  

Good job guys.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:00:19 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I would like to formally invite VCDL to visit West Virginia. (not that anyone even blinks at open carry here, but it would still be cool)
The only time I open carry is during the Apple Butter festival that draws in hundreds of hippies from MD and DC. Usually good for a laugh.

WWW.WVCDL.ORG

Are you a member? You ought to be.

(WVCDL Member #21)
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:16:29 AM EDT
[#35]
That.  Is.  AWESOME!

We need an organization like that in NM.  We still can't legally carry at all in most restaurants, since they serve alcohol (go figure).

There are other things that need fixin' in NM's gun laws too, but carry in restaurants is one of the bigger, uglier, more glaring problems that affects everyday life.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top