Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2001 10:05:09 AM EDT
Walked into the little branch savings and loan this afternoon to take care of some business and did a quick visual of the lobby and business cubicles. The armed guard was leaning on the teller's counter with his back to the door. One hand in his trouser pocket, ankles crossed. He was a fit looking young man about 25 with a shaved head. Uniform was neat and in order and he was armed with a revolver in a Jordan type holster.

Now for the good part. He never glanced at me when I entered the bank. He was busy b s ing with the teller in a voice loud enough for me to hear the whole conversation. Here is what I heard.

He had to quit driving the concrete mixer after
the accident because of his neck injury. It was
still not completly healed.

Now he has to stand in the bank all day to
keep it from getting robbed.

He hopes someone tries it so that he can get
in some target practice.

He doubts that he could hit anything with this
stupid revolver that they make him carry.

He hates speed loaders. And what is he supposed to do with only one loader.

He guesses that he would have to pull the tac folder.(which he takes out to show the teller)

He would rather carry his nine but they won't let him.

That's what he was taught to use in the Marine Corps.

He lost his house after the accident.

Comments that the teller is not very talkative
today. Hopes that she does not have a shotgun
behind the counter. Then makes a muzzleblast noise with his mouth and laughs.

The whole time I am standing behind him in the next line with a Sig P220 and two mags under my shirt tail. Sooner or later some recently released felon is going to see the same thing I did and cap his stupid young ass. Or maybe he will get fired before that happens and he can go work at the airport watching the x-ray machine.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#1]
You just saw the elusive Bank-Ninja!
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:13:37 AM EDT
[#2]
that guy is a dumbass

don't lump nsf jojo in with this loser
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:14:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Looser?  Was he tight before?
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Why is it a felony?
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:31:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:32:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I open and concealed carry into banks all the time.  Just because it's not legal in your State doesn't mean it's that way everywhere.  They don't even blink at open carry in Virginia any more - just appear calm and like you know what you're doing and nobody will care.

Black Fox
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:35:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry - just saw you were from Texas, too....
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:36:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Brouhaha,
CCW in a bank is not a felony everywhere. Florida for instance does not restrict my right to carry in a bank. It's a state by state matter so Tx is then different. Is it due to "No Carry" signage or is it in Banks in general that CCW is banned. Since Fl has receprocity with Tx I may need to know one day.

I just hope that somone helps this young man grow up in a not too painful manner, and soon, or what "Roland" describes might be how he ends his short and, from how he acts, rather unpromising life

(edited to cover information in missed posts)
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:36:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah? Why would it be a felony?

In Texas, it is only a felony to carry at a school, airport, bar or a prison.

And Texas is a "Shall-Issue" state. I think that it only reasonable to assume that Mr. Gunner has a CHL.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:46:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So you mean to say that you were commiting a felony by carrying a weapon inside a bank?  You might want to edit that part out.
View Quote

He's only commiting a crime if it's a Federal bank.  Otherwise he's ok.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The whole time I am standing behind him in the next line with a Sig P220 and two mags under my shirt tail. Sooner or later some recently released felon is going to see the same thing I did and cap his stupid young ass. Or maybe he will get fired before that happens and he can go work at the airport watching the x-ray machine.
View Quote

There is a reason security guards don't make lots of money.  I'm 25, and I wouldn't do anything like this guy was doing if I were in his position.  Then again, I'm not a dumbass trying to impress a bank teller (who makes more than he does, BTW). [:D]

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Brouhaha

This was taken from the Texas DPS web site.

You had me worried that I had finally made a mistake.

But law or no law I don't think that I would want to walk into a S&L unarmed. Of the establishments in which I try to stay extra alert when visiting a bank is second only to a convience store.

Places Prohibited: Felony Violation

A license holder may not carry a handgun on or about the license holder's person under authority of
 the Act in the following places:

(1) On the premises of a business that has a permit or license issued under Alcoholic Beverage
 Code, Chapters 25, 28, 32, or 69, if the business derives 51% or more of its income from the sale of
 alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption. Posting is required by the Act, but an
 establishment's failure to post is not a statutory defense to the license holder. Violation is a third
 degree felony under Texas Penal Code, §46.035.

(2) On the premises of a correctional facility. No posting is required by the Act. Violation is a third
 degree felony under Texas Penal Code, §46.035.

(3) On the physical premises of a school, an educational institution, or a passenger transportation
 vehicle of a school or an educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is
 public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution. No
 posting is required by the Act. Violation is a third degree felony under Texas Penal Code, §46.03.

(4) On the premises of a polling place on the day of an election or while early voting is in progress.
 No posting is required by the Act. Violation is a third degree felony under Texas Penal Code, §46.03.

(5) In any government court or offices utilized by the court, unless pursuant to written regulations or
 written authorization of the court. No posting is required by the Act. Violation is a third degree felony
 under Texas Penal Code, §46.03.

(6) On the premises of a racetrack. No posting is required by the Act. Violation is a third degree
 felony under Texas Penal Code, §46.03.

(7) Into a secured area of an airport. No posting is required by the Act. Violation is a third degree
 felony under Texas Penal Code, §46.03.

§6.45.

Link Posted: 11/15/2001 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#17]
cont.

Places Prohibited: Class A Misdemeanor Violations

A license holder may not carry a handgun on or about the license holder's person under authority of
 the Act in the following places:

(1) On the premises of a hospital licensed under the Health and Safety Code, Chapter 241, unless
 the license holder has written authorization of the hospital administration. Posting is required by the
 Act, but an establishment's failure to post is not a statutory defense to the license holder. Violation
 is a Class A misdemeanor under Texas Penal Code, §46.035.

(2) On the premises of a nursing home licensed under the Health and Safety Code, Chapter 242,
 unless the license holder has written authorization of the nursing home administration. Posting is
 required by the Act, but an establishment's failure to post is not a statutory defense to the license
 holder. Violation is a Class A misdemeanor under Texas Penal Code, §46.035.

(3) On the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event is taking place,
 unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event. No posting
 is required by the Act. Violation is a Class A misdemeanor under Texas Penal Code, §46.035.

(4) In an amusement park. "Amusement park" means a permanent indoor or outdoor facility or park
 where amusement rides are available for use by the public that is located in a county with a
 population of more than one million, encompasses at least 75 acres in surface area, is enclosed
 with access only through controlled entries, is open for operation more than 120 days in each
 calendar year, and has security guards on the premises at all times. The term does not include any
 public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking
 area. No posting is required by the Act. Violation is a Class A misdemeanor under Texas Penal
 Code, §46.035.

(5) On the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship. No
 posting is required by the Act. Violation is a Class A misdemeanor under Texas Penal Code,
 §46.035.

(6) At any meeting of a governmental entity. No posting is required by the Act. Violation is a Class A
 misdemeanor under Texas Penal Code, §46.035.

§6.46.

Places Prohibited: Class C Misdemeanor Violation

the Act on or across land of the Lower Colorado River Authority. No posting is required by the Act.
 Violation is a Class C misdemeanor under Parks and
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
[He's only commiting a crime if it's a Federal bank.  Otherwise he's ok.
View Quote

What's federal bank? Just curious. Do they take 35% of whatever you deposit?
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Let's use our brains here. Why and HOW do most people in anti-gun states get discretionary carry permits? If you answered "carrying large sums of cash", you get one point.

Where do you suppose they are usually going with these large sums of cash? If you amswered "to the bank to drop or deposit", give yourself another point.

Do you know who in Boston, MA has the most LTCs for protection? If you answered "frightened merchants that carry large sums of cash to the BANK", give yourself one point.

I've heard this "you can't carry in banks" BS forever. It IS NOT TRUE. There is no federal law, and I don't know of any state law. If you have a state code section that applies, I'd be interested in seeing it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 11:35:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Issuing a carry permit because they carry large sums of cash is bullshit! They will allow someone to protect their money but won't allow someone else to protect human life! I guess it all boils down to economics. If that money is stolen it will hurt the local economy.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[He's only commiting a crime if it's a Federal bank.  Otherwise he's ok.
View Quote

What's federal bank? Just curious. Do they take 35% of whatever you deposit?
View Quote

Federal Reserve Bank.  I was just applying that you cannot carry into Federal buildings with your CHL, so a Federal Reserve Bank would apply. [:D]

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 12:04:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

(5) On the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship. No
 posting is required by the Act. Violation is a Class A misdemeanor under Texas Penal Code,
 §46.035.

(6) At any meeting of a governmental entity. No posting is required by the Act. Violation is a Class A
 misdemeanor under Texas Penal Code, §46.035.
View Quote

That's the older version of the law.

From [url]http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/txchlaws.htm[/url]

UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.

(b)  A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's person:
(4)  on the premises of a hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing home licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the license holder has written authorization of the hospital or nursing home administration, as appropriate;

(5)  in an amusement park; or

(6)  on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.

(i)  Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#23]
[b]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah? Why would it be a felony?

In Texas, it is only a felony to carry at a school, airport, bar or a prison.

And Texas is a "Shall-Issue" state. I think that it only reasonable to assume that Mr. Gunner has a CHL.
View Quote

Like I said, the law may have changed.  I'm checking on that right now.  I have always left my gun in the car while visiting a bank.  If the law has changed, then great.
View Quote
[/b]

Why would you need to carry your piece in a bank anyway,I mean remember YOU have YOUR god and your jesus looking out for YOU right?Don't worry,they wouldn't let anything happen to a good christian now would they.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 12:13:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Issuing a carry permit because they carry large sums of cash is bullshit! They will allow someone to protect their money but won't allow someone else to protect human life! I guess it all boils down to economics. If that money is stolen it will hurt the local economy.
View Quote

If that money is stolen it won't be donated to the local politicians.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 12:25:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
[Why would you need to carry your piece in a bank anyway,I mean remember YOU have YOUR god and your jesus looking out for YOU right?Don't worry,they wouldn't let anything happen to a good christian now would they.
View Quote

Molitas, don't be an ass.  Being a Christian does not mean you abdicate your rights to self defense.  There are many passages in the Bible that support self defense, as well as forgiveness.  "God helps those who help themselves" and all that.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[Why would you need to carry your piece in a bank anyway,I mean remember YOU have YOUR god and your jesus looking out for YOU right?Don't worry,they wouldn't let anything happen to a good christian now would they.
View Quote

[b]Molitas, don't be an ass.  Being a Christian does not mean you abdicate your rights to self defense.  There are many passages in the Bible that support self defense, as well as forgiveness.  "God helps those who help themselves" and all that.

God Bless Texas
View Quote
[/b]

Ok...since you obviously missed the point that I was being sarcastic,after brouhaha's sarcastic statement from the religous thread the other day.But if it makes you feel any better go say some prayers and everything will be all better for you.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 1:25:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 1:50:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Since when did the Federal Reserve become part of the government that their banks would be government property?  Or am I missing something here...
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Since when did the Federal Reserve become part of the government that their banks would be government property?  Or am I missing something here...
View Quote

You did notice the smiley, right? [:D]  Meaning, I wasn't being serious.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 4:05:26 PM EDT
[#30]
whats the thing about the Marines? is this what you experienced in the Marines?
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Apparantly the law has changed.  I could find no mention of it in the TX CHL laws.

So, I apologize to you Headless_T_Gunner for the felony remark.  I was wrong.  

But, the good thing is that I have learned something new!
View Quote

It was never a felony to carry in a bank (in Texas). There are three statutes involved.

PC 46.02, Unlawful Carrying Weapons. Basically, can't array a handgun, illegal knife or club in public.

PC 46.03 Places Weapons Prohibited. No Firearms allowed at Racetracks, Schools, Bars or the secured area of an airport.

There is also "Criminal Trespass by a License Holder" which forbids CHL holders to carry at certain public places, mostly owned by a private entity. I have never seen this enforced or heard of anyone being charged with this offense. Most of the officers I work with would chalk this one up as a "verbal warning" offense (hey, you could go to jail for that. Don't do it again. Wink, wink.).

I don't leave the house without a weapon. I don't see how it is reasonable to expect the average citizen to do any differently.

Here is a link to the main Texas laws for carrying weapons (there are additional applicable sections under Disorderly Conduct and Criminal Trespass).
[url] http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/pe/pe004600toc.html[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top