Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2001 6:13:39 AM EDT
anyone here checked out the beta??? it is probably the best shooter i've seen in awhile. the weps are fairly accurate and you can crouch, duckwalk, go prone, and low crawl. it beats the shit out of counterstrike and tac ops.

their website is www.ghostrecon.com

also, ak-47.net is talking about establishing a clan so this might be a neat opportunity for some head-to-head...[heavy]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 6:21:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
anyone here checked out the beta??? it is probably the best shooter i've seen in awhile. the weps are fairly accurate and you can crouch, duckwalk, go prone, and low crawl. it beats the shit out of counterstrike and tac ops.

their website is www.ghostrecon.com

also, ak-47.net is talking about establishing a clan so this might be a neat opportunity for some head-to-head...[heavy]
View Quote

Yep- haven't been on the 'net much due to this insidious demo! I wish i could spare the $50 to buy the full product! Has real-time control pop-up panel that allows you to tell your teams to hold, assault at all costs, etc... as well as supress, assault, or recon (firing orders).

VERY well done- and I like the way the sun flares when you die.

Don Out
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 6:22:48 AM EDT
[#2]
have the full game. It is awsome. By far the best game I have played. A must buy for gamers.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 6:23:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not a gamer, and you guys suck for nearly having me talked into buying this.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 6:24:35 AM EDT
[#4]
We will have to start out own clan and kick some AK.comers butt.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 6:29:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I will have the full game later today.  Man I love CD burners [:D]

sgtar15
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 6:47:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm not a gamer, and you guys suck for nearly having me talked into buying this.
View Quote

Do it- AWESOME game! I thought Rainbow Six and Half-Life were great, but this is out & out infantry stuff.

I set up 2 man teams A&B with 1 rifleman w/M203 and extra ammo, and one SAW gunner with grenades as secondary load. C team has the sniper w/grenades, and the demo guy with M4 and grenades.

When wounded, performance suffers in different ways, though the tangos usually hit you several more times and kill you before you reach cover!

Game uses 1GB of drive space.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 6:48:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

sgtar15
View Quote

(In his best drunken bum voice) "Can you help a brother out?"

Don Out
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

i installed the demo, but i couldnt run the game cuz it said i had to activate active X.  

what is it? do i have to download that too?

View Quote

My download is also full of bugs.

Sgtar, can you help another brother out?
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Whats the best graphic card for this game??

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I was wondering when someone would ask about this game! I have the full version and it rocks. Great single and multiplayer missions. Only down side is that you need a pretty fast computer and your sound card and video card need to have the latest drivers for it to work right. Bulldog, I am running a 64MB Radeon card and the graphics are amazing. Trees that sway in the wind, bullets zinging past your head, realistic NVG view....it just goes on and on. I would love to get in on some of the multiplayer action with some of the AR-15 crew. Just post an IP address and lets rock, or I can host a few games sometime.

Brian
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Great, I come here and get hooked on buying toys for my AR, now you guys have me looking at PC games.  We're gonna need a new forum, "AR15.com's Anonymous."
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 8:57:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I went to walmart this evening looking for it, but they didn't have it in??? Whats up with that. I guess I will have to get to Bestbuy. I have the DEMO right now, and I have played it up to 1280x968 res and its still pretty fast.  However, I have two bones to pick , YOU DON"T ALWAYS RUN which I guess I can change , and in the Demo I don't have enough weapons to choose from.  The settings are awesome , fully immersive.  I don't have the hang of it yet, but I am getting there.  

Benjamin

And yes Ghost Recon should be the "Unofficial Game" of AR-15.COM.  And yess JarHead22 Pick up a copy you will not be dissapointed.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:49:27 PM EDT
[#15]
does any else's screens look fuzzy?  in the game itself mine are crystal clear but in the menues I can barrely read the print?  do I need a different graphics card?
john
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 11:07:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I just finished downloading it.  Man I love Usenet.  [:D]
View Quote

What is Usenet?

Kyle
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 11:18:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Im downloading it right now on Kazaa but since only 2 guys have it and their connection to me is crap its takeing awhile shoul dhave it u and running tomorrow.
[url]www.kazaa.com[/url]
its like napster but with any type of file that u might want. I love it
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 11:18:59 PM EDT
[#18]
It might be worth waiting to see other games like "SOF II" or the upcoming "Counter Strike: Condition Zero" (I hope they put in an option to hold the weapon on the L- or R-side in this release) before choosing an un/official AR15.com game. These look pretty good, too.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 11:33:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Software piracy, especially game piracy, is despicable.  The notion that obtaining a game free from less than ethical friends, or more disgustingly, through wholesale trade anonymously over the internet has got to be one of the most mind-numbingly counterproductive things that I see people do.  

Denying the creators of software payment for their services only serves to remove the incentive for people to continue to further create and innovate.  As one who very much enjoys playing well crafted games, I respect the labor that goes into their production and don't begrudge the authors' their due.  

It's not like getting a burned copy of office from a friend because one needs to use excel or word a few times a year and really can't justify the several hundred dollar price tag, or running the bootleg copy of photoshop solely for amusement purposes trying to craft the next great mall-ninja siting (although that's not really excusable, just more understandable).  Games rarely run more than $50, and when one factors in the number of hours of enjoyment reaped in terms of single player action (including replaying at later dates), and the nearly unlimited hours of enjoyment offered by good multiplayer action, the cost per unit time of fun works out to be so low that stealing the game is just....pathetic.

I've also noticed that people who lead otherwise normal rather-to-very ethical lives will partake in software piracy with reckless abandon, as if it's something which is supposed to be obtained free, and those who pay for it are just lazy dupes unwilling or unable to obtain it the "best" way.  It's simple theft.  In concept, it's little different than driving off with gas without paying at a pump-first station, stealing cars off the lot instead of buying, or putting extra clothes in the bag on the way out of the store. And not only that, people boast about it!  Grinning emoticons announce their feeling of cleverness for outsmarting the greedy software producers and proclaiming their superiority over the imbeciles who foolishly traded money for goods.

For a group of people who generally seem to advocate the utilization of ethics when it comes to their treatment at the hands of the government, an entity that wantonly indulges in the self-justified seizing of that which it did not earn, to engage in software piracy" of their fellow man is ridiculous.  

I realize I'm typing in generalities here, but how many of you who are so pleased with yourself for illegally obtaining software either now or in the past would enjoy it if you were not fairly compensated for your efforts at your occupation?

Link Posted: 11/16/2001 12:22:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:53:55 AM EDT
[#21]
GREAT GAME, I LOVE IT!
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:57:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Since I heard of it I was dead set on getting it. I really liked the Rainbow Six series, and it looked to be a vast improvement upon them.

The moment I saw the look of the sniper in the team selection menu of the demo, I swore I had to buy this game.

The moment I actually got the mission started, I swore I'd cut my hand off before I'd buy it.

Normally I'm not such a dick about games. I've got a 600mhz PIII on a 133 bus...256MB of ram, a 32MB DDR Nvidia GeForce256 card. Buttloads of HD space. I can run games like Hitman: Codename 47 and Max Payne at 1024x768x32 with all options to max and the games run fine. I try Ghost Recon on 1024x768x16 with most options turned low or medium, and it chugged along at MAYBE, MAYBE 8fps. I had closed every open app on the system, and everything I had in the systray, so nothing else was eating resources. If I had the mininum reqs I could understand it, but I don't, and that level of performance does not impress me in the least. It looks like an outstanding game, but it's not enough to justify a thousand bucks of new hardware to play.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:58:09 AM EDT
[#23]
LongDong, I get a burned copy of ANYTHING before I justify spending ANY of my money on it. If other products don't live up to expectations, you can generally get a refund. With SW, you CANNOT- just an exchange for the same title.

I will get a burned copy of this somehow, and will most likely buy it if it has more options for customizing gameplay than the demo has.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:03:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Since I heard of it I was dead set on getting it. I really liked the Rainbow Six series, and it looked to be a vast improvement upon them.

The moment I saw the look of the sniper in the team selection menu of the demo, I swore I had to buy this game.

The moment I actually got the mission started, I swore I'd cut my hand off before I'd buy it.

Normally I'm not such a dick about games. I've got a 600mhz PIII on a 133 bus...256MB of ram, a 32MB DDR Nvidia GeForce256 card. Buttloads of HD space. I can run games like Hitman: Codename 47 and Max Payne at 1024x768x32 with all options to max and the games run fine. I try Ghost Recon on 1024x768x16 with most options turned low or medium, and it chugged along at MAYBE, MAYBE 8fps. I had closed every open app on the system, and everything I had in the systray, so nothing else was eating resources. If I had the mininum reqs I could understand it, but I don't, and that level of performance does not impress me in the least. It looks like an outstanding game, but it's not enough to justify a thousand bucks of new hardware to play.
View Quote

I'm running it at 1280x 1024 on an Athlon 900 (133 bus, 256MB RAM, 13GB HDD), and use the g-force2MX400 (64MB). I have an old Diamond Monster300 soundcard. I warily installed DirectX 8. I have very few slowdowns, mostly limited to changing teams. Not any worse than the Rainbow games, or Half-Life for that matter.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:26:18 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm running it at 1280x 1024 on an Athlon 900 (133 bus, 256MB RAM, 13GB HDD), and use the g-force2MX400 (64MB). I have an old Diamond Monster300 soundcard. I warily installed DirectX 8. I have very few slowdowns, mostly limited to changing teams. Not any worse than the Rainbow games, or Half-Life for that matter.
View Quote

Argh. I've also got Half-Life/Counterstrike, Unreal Tournament:GOTY, Oni, and SOF installed. All of them perform much better than Ghost Recon, and all of them are practically maxed on settings as well. Maybe it's just me. Then again, I seemed to be one of the only people in existence to encounter the "FlashBang" problem in Rainbow Six. I'd throw a flashbang into a room, and then rush in. The guy would be completely frozen. I could empty an entire magazine into the tango, and then he'd unfreeze and kill me. And it was literally unfreeze...as in one second the graphic is in a static stance position, the next his gun is pointed and firing, with no movement whatsoever. I still loved the game, and got pretty damn far in it, since everything else worked great.

I've considered blowing away the HD and reinstalling Win2k, but I've still got about 12 gigs of tv shows to burn off to CD. Maybe I just have piss-poor luck with RedStorm games.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:29:44 AM EDT
[#26]
I had a few things like that happen, so I partitioned the drive & run Win2K Pro for normal stuff, and WinME for the games. I had issues with performance with W2K and games.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Hard case,

Go update your video drivers to the newest ones available. I had the same problem and I am running a 64MB Radeon card. After updating the drivers, it ran smmoth as silk. My buddy runs it great on his laptop with basicly the same specs as yours without problems.

Hondajohn,

Are you running a Voodoo card? These cards are not the best choice for this game. That is probably your problem.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 8:18:58 PM EDT
[#28]
I just beat it a few hours ago, and let me say that it is THE BEST TACTICAL SHOOTER OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top