Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2001 3:27:44 PM EDT
Seems to me a time ago, I saw an article where someone was coming out with a revolver in this caliber? Maybee it was just a test model or prototype?

Anyone know if it exisits?, my GF likes revolvers, but I have all .40 autos so I thought it would be handy to have one in the same caliber.

By chance anyone have one and what do you think?

Later

IAJack
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I think S&W makes one now, and since their HUD agreement is now null and void and they're under new ownership you shouldn't have any real political issues with buying their wares.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Pick up an old S&W 610. You can shoot 40 in them.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#3]
S&W is making a new one built on the "L" frame.  It's a stainless steel 5 shooter; model 639 or 649 I think.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Smith & Wesson model #646.

Stainless L frame, titanium cylinder, 6 shot, .40 caliber, 4 inch barrel.

I don't know if it's available yet. The article says it's being put together by the S&W Performance Center.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 4:29:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pick up an old S&W 610. You can shoot 40 in them.
View Quote

Agreed, this would be your best bet.  Moonclips!!!

Very light recoil when shooting .40
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 7:10:16 AM EDT
[#6]
What would be the advantage of 40 S&W in a revolver over, say, 357 mag?  I guess cheaper ammo?  Of course, there are always fans of a particular caliber.

I've never dealt with a revolver that shot rimless cartridges, so maybe I'm missing something.  Are moon clips faster than speedloaders?

Not a bash or anything.  Sincere question.

Edit:
Of course, now that I reread your post, I see you want to use the same ammo as for your existing gun.  I guess that would be a good reason.  [:)]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 7:18:10 AM EDT
[#7]
The correct S&W model I was refering to is the model 396.  Sorry about that.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 7:21:43 AM EDT
[#8]
you can fire 38 in a 357
could you fire 40sw in a 10mm revolver?
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 7:34:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
...and since their HUD agreement is now null and void and they're under new ownership you shouldn't have any real political issues with buying their wares.
View Quote

While I love the quality of some of thier stuff, I still hold a grudge.  If I buy any of thier guns, it will be the "PT" variety (Pre-Traitor).
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 7:37:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've never dealt with a revolver that shot rimless cartridges, so maybe I'm missing something.  Are moon clips faster than speedloaders?
View Quote

Much, at least for me.  The clips hold all of the cartridges together in the gun, and eject as a unit making for extremely fast reloads.  The clips are cheap in quantity as well.

Quoted:
could you fire 40sw in a 10mm revolver?
View Quote

Yes. [:D]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top