Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2001 8:07:24 PM EDT
http://www.maadigriffin.com/mg6.htm

Plans for sale for a maadigriffin .50 Cal. BMG.... Can you build these yourself?

I see an FFL is required to own one... what are these plans?

Are we allowed to build our own .50 Cal BMG?
Link Posted: 3/4/2001 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#1]
The FFL is required for the Rifle and/or the kit which includes the receiver.  Neither appears to be available at this time, even to an FFL.  Seems to be a disagreement with ATF over configuration.  You can build your own rifle, as long as you start with a serial # receiver and the rifle configuration does not violate Federal or State law.  To make a receiver you need to be a licensed manufacturer.
Link Posted: 3/4/2001 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe it is legal to occasionally build your own gun from scratch, for your own personal use. But I'd check with the ATF first.

I'd love to try it if I had free access to a good machine shop, and a lot of time to learn.

I'd also start with .22LR, not .50BMG, and work my way up, to avoid getting my head blown off if I screw up.
Link Posted: 3/4/2001 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By David M:
... You can build your own rifle, as long as you start with a serial # receiver and the rifle configuration does not violate Federal or State law.  To make a receiver you need to be a licensed manufacturer.
View Quote

Is this correct?  Are the regulations for someone to build their own .50 different than those for an AR?
Link Posted: 3/4/2001 9:04:53 PM EDT
[#4]
The laws for .50s are the same as any for other guns. But, I suspect that will change before too long.

Link Posted: 3/4/2001 9:05:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is this correct?  Are the regulations for someone to build their own .50 different than those for an AR?
View Quote

for now at least on a federal level it's the same, anybody can go buy a reciever from a private sale or FFL (assuming there are people who actually sell 50 receivers) and put all the rest of the parts on it, you'd probably end up paying more though cause everybody (gunshow-wise anyway) has to throw in their own 100% markup on every little piece.

Link Posted: 3/4/2001 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Building you own from the Maadi Griffin plans means machining your rifle out of chunks of steel, not assembling "standard" components.
Link Posted: 3/4/2001 9:44:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's mine:

[img]www.birdman.org/images/jaded1big.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 3/5/2001 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Ratters....   LMAO!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top