Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 1:16:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I only talked to the Navy guy for about 30min. He told me that they worked just like the Marines in you choose a field you'd like to work in and then they will place you where they need you most.

I don't really like that at all I like to know what I'm going to do for the next four years of my life.
View Quote

Then I'd say you're misunderstanding the Navy recruiter and he probably lost interest when you started telling him you wanted to have "fun." It takes a helluva lot of work to run a ship, which if you didn't happen to notice is the Navy's full-time mission (you know, the ocean).

[b]Major-Murphy[/b] is right about firefighting in a shore duty capacity being boring. It's that way for a reason. Shore duty is for career oriented sailors. Every once in awhile there're some little bonehead sailors who fall through the cracks (mostly female) and wind up with shore duty on their first hitch and I'm sure that they learn the finer points of making coffee and taking out the trash along with a myriad of other custodial duties. Shore duty can be divided up into two categories: arduous and non arduous. Arduous being recruiting, pushing boots, admiral's staff, etc. The kind of duty that takes 110% of your time. It's meant to groom you for the chief's board or CWO/LDO selection. Non-arduous is physical security (cop), passing out basketballs, working with PWC (maybe even in the base fire department), SIMA, etc. Pud stuff. You're expected to make use of your free time and attend college, get involved in the community, etc., in order to also groom you for making rate.

A recruiter can only truthfully give you a general idea of what's available to you. To really know, you have to take the ASVAB and visit with a counselor at MEPS. The counselor will ask you about your interests, how soon you'd like to enter active duty, etc. Then he'll put all of that data into the computer and come up with a list of ratings available to you based on that information.

You can damn well bet that say a GMGSA coming from "A" school is going to be sent to duty aboard a ship (where they have a need for them) before they're going to send him to some podunk shore duty billet.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 1:55:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Jim_Dandy I said nothing about having fun to him at all. I also had my MAVES taken by this time. All I told him is what I wanted to do and he told me all he can do is place me in the field that it was in nothing more nothing less and if the field was open they would place me where they needed me.

Anyway I'm not going to the Navy no way no how. If I want to spend time at sea I'll take the Coast guard.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 2:09:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Coasties don't go to sea and they don't make rate fast enough. The recruiter can only provide you with generalizations.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top