Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2001 7:10:58 PM EDT
I heard about Charlie Daniels new song, "This Ain't No Rag It's A Flag", and the controversy the lyrics caused. Even if you are not a fan of CDB or county music, Charlie seems to always find away of expressing our inner feelings. Here is a message from Charlie's web site and the lyrics to the song. I heard the song today and found it to be very moving. I am sure some will say it is not "PC" but the time for "PC" has ended as of 9-11-2001!

mikev

------------------------------------------------

Just to let you know

There are probably some of you folks out here who are wondering why we didn't appear on the CMT Country Freedom Concert for the Salvation Army to benefit the victims of the September 11th Attack on America. We were announced and scheduled and had every intention of doing the show, until we gave the CMT folks the lyrics to a new song I had written and wanted to perform on the show. After receiving the words they informed us that we could not do the song on the show and when we asked them why they said that the show was a healing type show and they were afraid that the song would offend someone. I would never do anything to hurt the show but I knew that they had the very epitome of country stars and didn't particularly need us to sell tickets. With this in mind, I decided to pull off the show for personal reasons which I would like to share with you. Let me preface my remarks by saying that I respect CMT's right to not allow anything they don't agree with to go out over their airwaves. And in all fairness, I guess they were taking the sensibilities of the victim's families into account. But I respectfully and vehemently disagree with their stand. First of all, I don't feel that this is the time for healing. I feel that this is the time to rub salt in the wounds and keep America focused on the job at hand. We lost almost seven thousand people in the Trade Towers and Pentagon and we're worrying about offending somebody? We have seven month old babies infected with Anthrax and we're afraid we'll hurt someone's feelings? Brave Americans forced a plane down in a field in Pennsylvania and we're worried about ruffling someone's feathers? We're sending our sons and daughters off to fight and perhaps die in a war we had nothing to do with starting and we're concerned about insulting somebody? I felt to give into this political correctness would be to turn my back on the people who lost their lives on 9-11 and on the brave men and women who defend this country. The title of the song is "This Ain't No Rag It's A Flag", and I don't apologize for a word in I'll let you all decide for yourselves:

Link Posted: 11/1/2001 7:13:01 PM EDT
[#1]

"This Ain't No Rag It's A Flag"

This ain't no rag it's a flag and we don't wear it on our heads It's a symbol of the land where the good guys live are you listening to what I said You're a coward and a fool and you broke all the rules and you wounded our American pride Now we're coming with a gun and we know you're gonna run but you can't find no place to hide We're gonna hunt you down like a mad dog hound and make you pay for the lives you stole We're all through talking and messing around and now it's time to rock and roll These colors don't run and we're speaking as one when we say united we stand If you mess with one you mess with us all every boy, girl, woman and man You've been acting mighty rash and talking that trash but let me give you some advice You can crawl back in your hole like a dirty little mole but now it's time to pay the price You might have shot us in the back but now you have to face the fact that the big boy's in the game The lightning's been flashing and the thunder's been crashing and now it's gettin ready to rain

Chorus: This is the United States of America the land of the brave and free We believe in
God, we believe in justice, we believe in liberty You've been pulling our chain we shoulda
done something about you a long time ago But now the flag's flying high and the fur's gonna fly and now the whole world's gonna know This ain't no rag it's a flag old glory red white and blue The stars and stripes and when it comes to a fight we can do what we have to do Our people stand proud the American crowd is faithful and loyal and tough We're as good as the best and better than the rest you're gonna find out soon enough When you look up in the sky and you see the eagle fly you'd better know he's headed your
way This ain't no rag it's a flag and it stands for the USA

What do you think?

God Bless America
Charlie Daniels
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#2]
What do I think?  I think that I am not a big country music fan but Charlie Daniels just hit the nail on the head for me!!!  This needs big time airplay.  We need to call and request it ao the PC tyoes have to listen to it.  We need to buy the CD.  Get my point?
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 7:30:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree! The song ends with a young boy saying the "Pledge of Allegiance". This is something that many young kids no longer get a chance to say in school anymore. I say buy the song. Play it loud and proud.

mikev
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 7:48:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been a CDB fan for years.  Glad he stuck to his guns and pulled out.  If the song's out I'm going to go buy a couple and give them away.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 5:26:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 5:33:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Let Charlie know you are with him!!!!!!

[url]www.charliedaniels.com/home_frame.html[/url]

This man is an AMERICAN!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 11/2/2001 5:49:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I must be a moron, because nowhere in that beautiful song did I see ol' Charlie point anyone nationality or person out as an enemy in a derogitory sense!!  What the hell is the matter with some of these people today??  Healing?? Who needs heeling??  We need anger and frustration to get things done!!!  Healing requires closure and there will be no closure if we don't fight and [b]eliminate/punish[/b] the people that caused this!!

I mean GODDAMMIT!!!  When a crime is committed the police go after the criminal...why would this be different??

This crap pisses me off to no end and I am damn near fed up with it!!

Fuck the heeling...I am pissed and want to stay pissed until this is resolved.  And I don't care anymore if people are offended, if a few innocents die, if the world disagrees with me or not!!  Cause I know whats right and I know whats wrong...and I sure as hell don't need some GODDAMN liberal TV person to tell me which is which!!

$%&*&*^$#@%&*(&%!!!!!!!!! DAMN IT

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 6:05:25 AM EDT
[#9]
One of the first songs I ever heard about the War in Vietnam from the serviceman's point of view was 'Still in Saigon' by the CDB!

Got on a plane in 'Frisco
And got off in Vietnam
I walked into a different world
The past forever gone

I could have gone to Canada
Or I could have stayed in school
But I was brought up differently
I couldn't break the rules

Thirteen months and fifteen days
The last ones were the worst
One minute I'd kneel down and pray
And the next I'd stand and curse

No place to run to
Where I did not feel that war
When I got home I stayed alone
And checked behind each door

Cuz I'm still in Saigon
Still in Saigon
I am still in Saigon
In my mind

The ground at home was covered in snow
And I was covered in sweat
My younger brother calls me a killer
And my daddy calls me a vet

Everybody says I'm someone else
And I'm sick and there's no cure
Damned if I know who I am
There was only one place I was sure

When i was still in Saigon
Still in saigon
I am still in saigon
In my mind

Every summer when it rains
I smell the jungle, I hear the planes
I can't tell no one, I feel ashamed
I pray some day I'll go insane

That's been ten long years ago
And time has gone on by
Now and then I catch myself
Eyes searching through the sky

All the sounds of long ago
Will be forever in my head
Mingled with the wounded cries
And the silence of the dead

'Cuz I'm still in Saigon
Still in Saigon
I am still in Saigon
In my mind

I am still in Saigon
I am still in Saigon
Yes, I'm still in Saigon
In my mind

Eric The(Fan)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 6:19:07 AM EDT
[#10]
MMMmmm...You see, if you mention the fact that our attackers wear towels on their heads, it might cause them to have lower self-esteem.....
MMmmmKay!
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 6:25:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I am going to buy your record Charlie, that's what I think. God Bless America, Charlie Daniels and his band.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 7:44:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 9:16:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Good song.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#14]
[b]God Bless Charlie Daniels[/b]

I'm going hunting for that CD on the way home from work!
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Oops!  Double tap.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Sorry, no time for a message.....must go by CDB album right now!
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let Charlie know you are with him!!!!!!
[url]www.charliedaniels.com/home_frame.html[/url]This man is an AMERICAN!!!!!!!!
View Quote

This mailbox is full.
View Quote

I guess that's why my e-mail got bounced back to me.

Do you think its an AOL plot??? [}:D]

Link Posted: 11/2/2001 9:41:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
[b]God Bless Charlie Daniels[/b]

I'm going hunting for that CD on the way home from work!
View Quote

Go to the link above, and buy it online, so you get the "ain't no Rag..." cut.

I did.

Link Posted: 11/2/2001 10:15:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Healing??
Let me see, it took a long time to heal after the Revolutionary War. We still are not completely over the Civil War (War Between the States), WWI, WWII, Korean War, Viet Nam, so why should be “healed” to start this.
Hell we can heal afterwards.

My 15minutes
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Goat Boy,

did you read what this American, Charlie Daniels thinks about hurting someone's feeling when so many Americans have been murdered. I would like you to read what Charlie Daniels said again and think about what you and the mods did to people who just posted what they felt about the murderers. You know what I mean the editing out of and the threats to ban people because of their use of racial slurs like raghead in referring to these monsters. It is just human nature to use unkind words to refer to monsters like these but you and the mods just can never seem to understand what the truth is and that is we are at WAR. So please think about what you are doing in regards to this issue and how much you hurt some people, some real Americans just to protect the feelings of some people who do not care one bit about our great country.

VINCE AUT MORIRE (Conquer or Die)
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#21]
I've never been much of country fan but I've liked CDB since I was a little kid.  I think it's great because ever since everybody started coming together around Sept 13 adn 14 there's one of his songs that has been running thorugh my head.  I had to go look it up because I haven't heard the song in years and didn't remember the name.  The song is over 20 years old but the lyrics are more appropriate today than they were back then.

In America

Well the eagle's been flyin' slow
And the flag's been flyin' low
And a lot of people sayin' that America's fixin' to fall
Well speakin' just for me
And some people from Tennessee
We've got a thing or two to tell you all
This lady may have stumbled
But she aint never fell
And if the Russians don't believe that
They can all go straight to hell
We're gonna put her feet back
On the path of righteousness and then
God bless America again

CHORUS
And you never did think
That it ever would happen again
You never did think
That we'd ever get together again
( We da*& sure fooled you )
Yeah, we're walkng real proud
And we're talkin' real loud again ( In America )
You never did think
That it ever would happen again

From The Sound up in Long Island
Out to San Francisco Bay
And everthing that's in between them is our own
And we may have done a little bit
Of fightin' amongst ourselves
But you outside people best leave us alone
'Cause we'll all stick together
And you can take that to the bank
That's the cowboys and the hippies
And the rebels and the yanks
You just go and lay your hand
On a Pittsburgh Steelers' fan
And I think you're gonna finally understand

REPEAT CHORUS TWICE
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 12:51:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Sounds like another mission for the AR15.com army.  Take this CMT and shove it, I ain't watchin here no more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top