Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2001 6:29:33 AM EDT
I don't have a link to prove this, but our local
paper is reporting a [b]HUGE[/b] explosion 25
miles north of Kabul last night - bigger than
anything they've heard over there so far.  Reports of a mushroom cloud 1,000 feet in the
air.  (Our paper is online, but the frickin'
article isn't shown.) Add to that a report of
what "sounded like" a C-130 over Kandahar..

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/asiapcf/central/10/31/ret.attacks.afghanistan/index.html[/url]

from article:

"KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (CNN) -- A large explosion rattled the Taliban stronghold of Kandahar in southern Afghanistan early Wednesday as U.S.-led airstrikes reached the midpoint of their fourth week.

Earlier in the overnight hours, jet fighters could be heard roaring through the skies above the city. Explosions were heard and flashes could be seen on the northern horizon.

In addition, CNN's Nic Robertson reported hearing what he said sounded like C-130 transport aircraft flying low over the city. "

Sounds like we're starting to break out the
good stuff - at least I hope so.

Burn baby, Burn....

[pyro] [pyro] [pyro]

Link Posted: 10/31/2001 6:42:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I have some knowledge of the FAE.
I was told by the developers that it was the closest thing to a nuke there is.
During testing it was devastating to experience!
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 6:49:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 6:50:35 AM EDT
[#3]
IIRC, such a munition was used on the opening day of the ground war in Desert Storm.

Some British troops located several miles from the site, were said to have exclaimed: 'The Yanks have gone nuclear!'

It produces the same mushroom-shaped cloud, as, shall we say, other munition devices.

Eric The(YouDidWantMushroomsWithYourPorkSandwich,Osama?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 6:51:55 AM EDT
[#4]
The local paper gives credit to the Associated
Press for the article.  I can't find it on the
web site - maybe somebody here can.....

It's titled "U.S. drops giant bomb on Taliban
front lines".  

Hell we've been dropping 5,000 pounders over
there...something alot bigger????  Mushroom
cloud????

Help me out military guys - I doubt it was a Tac
nuke.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 6:54:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Eric The(YouDidWantMushroomsWithYourPorkSandwich,Osama?)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

LMAO EtH - that's one of your best yet IMO....
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:00:17 AM EDT
[#6]
The USAF used C-130's to drop 10,000lb. 'daiseycutter' bombs to create LZ's out in the jungle in SE Asia during the Viet Nam conflict. Don't know if they'd have any tactical application in Afghanistan. The 5000lb. bombs designed to penetrate fortified concrete tunnels would seem more likely to be used, but who the hell knows? All I know is that there are a lot of our servicemen over there doing the dirty work for us, and I hope to God they all get to come home safe & sound when it's done.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:06:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Good.  Let them guess/think the worst.  It could be a 15,000lb daisy cutter, FAE or something new. [:D]  

Link Posted: 10/31/2001 8:10:33 AM EDT
[#8]
FAE or fuel air explosives are based on the principal of critical mixture for combustibility. This principal makes common everyday combustible gasses into destructive devices of incredible magnitude. The device used in Viet Nam was the 10,000 lb butane bomb. It consisted of an enormous canister of butane and an ignition charge. After impact the butane would be allowed to spread for a predetermined length of time then the ignition charge would detonate the cloud of gas. The explosion often resulted in concussion deaths to humans at ranges of up to 1 mile from the weapons initial impact point. Ask any fireman and they will shake when they tell you about going to a call involving any type of stored gas such as an LP truck or a residence with LP gas service. Under the right circumstances these can pose quite a problem.

check out this link and do a search for FAE there is quite the library available

www.nawcwpns.navy.mil/clfm/faeseq.html

[marines]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Big Blue

http://www.specialoperations.com/Focus/blu82.html

The BLU-82 is a 15,000 pound GP bomb originally designed to clear helicopter landing zones in Vietnam. The warhead contains 12,600 pounds of GSX slurry and is detonated just above ground level by a 38-inch fuze extender. The weapon produces an overpressure of 1,000 pounds per square inch. Eleven BLU-82s were dropped during Desert Storm, all from Special Operations MC-130s. The initial drops were intended to test the ability of the bomb to clear mines; no reliable bomb damage assessment exist on mine clearing effectiveness. Later, bombs were dropped as much for their psychological effect as for their destructive power.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 8:53:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The local paper gives credit to the Associated
Press for the article.  I can't find it on the
web site - maybe somebody here can.....

View Quote

[url]http://www.nj.com/newsflash/terrorintl/index.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?a0442_BC_Attacks-Afghanistan&&news&terror_intl[/url]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 8:55:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Maybe a conventional bomb found it's way into an ammo bunker???
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Maybe a conventional bomb found it's way into an ammo bunker???
View Quote

Yea, that's a real possibility.  I guess I'm
just letting my imagination get the best of me.

Although the thought of dropping something like
"Big Blue" or a really fat FEA bomb on those
bastards does give me a woody!!!!  Can't help
but dream sometimes.....
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 8:59:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Saw the film of the explosion in question on FoxNews Channel. Looks a LOT like a carped-bombing stick from a B-52. Large explosions progressed in a linear fashion along a ridgeline, and a couple of their ex-military Viet Nam vet talking heads said same conclusion.

[b][size=1]Don Out[/size=1][/b]
[b][size=4][red]AIRBORNE!
2/505 PIR
H-MINUS[/red][/size=4][/b]

[i]" We're paratroopers, and THIS is as far as the bastards are going!"   Unknown 101st Paratrooper, Bastogne, 1944.[/i]
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/31/2001 9:05:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 9:09:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't think that's the same one, 11h1p.
View Quote

Gotcha, Thanx.

Any footage yet on the explosion??

[b][size=1]Don Out[/size=1][/b]
[b][size=4][red]AIRBORNE!
2/505 PIR
H-MINUS[/red][/size=4][/b]

[i]" We're paratroopers, and THIS is as far as the bastards are going!"   Unknown 101st Paratrooper, Bastogne, 1944.[/i]
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/31/2001 9:13:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Our nightly-news bimbo said that the US Air Force had dropped a "concussion bomb". Now she was just reading something, and had no idea what she was talking about, but that sounds like a FAE device to me.

Cool. Bring on the bad boys.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 9:15:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I hope the "Taliban" are wearing their safety equipment...you know....Hard Hat, Safety Shoes, Safety Goggles and Ear Protection.

I believe that "Heaven" may be soon running out of "Virgins" for all of the "Martyrs" that are arriving.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I hope the "Taliban" are wearing their safety equipment...you know....Hard Hat, Safety Shoes, Safety Goggles and Ear Protection.
View Quote

No shit!  

"Was he wearing his earplugs??"

"I think so - we found them in his throat
right beside his tonsils!"

[bounce]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 9:29:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Drop a few more. This time on:

Afghanistan
Iran
Iraq
Syria
Jordan
Yemen
Lebanon
UAE
Libya
Algeria
Chechnya
Indonesia

and...

Anybody else who fucks with us.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Afghanistan
Iran
Iraq
Syria
Jordan
Yemen
Lebanon
UAE
Libya
Algeria
Chechnya
Indonesia

and...

View Quote

Sarah Brady, et al
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 9:56:03 AM EDT
[#21]
25 miles north of Kabul is the front lines of the Taliban forces.  FAE used on troops would make for very crispy Taliban forces.  One could only hope.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 2:36:15 PM EDT
[#22]
MSNBC was just showing film of a ridge sequentially disintegrating and pictures of a group of very high flying multi-engine jets.

Nothing like a cell of B-52s to make a statement.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#23]
CNBC just announced that several daisy cutters were dropped on Taliban forces in the last 24 hours.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 9:29:59 PM EDT
[#24]
how about berkeley?
don't worry, any good guys in berkeley will be given warning, alhtough I don't berkeley has any good guys
[:)]

Quoted:

and...

View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top