Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2001 1:01:26 PM EDT
i vote canadian greens. they're cheap and work.

plus with big buttons, you can use the cargo pockets with mitts on.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#1]
In the woods, I would say Hunting. But, I prefer the look of Military BDUs to Hunting Camoflauge.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 1:57:29 PM EDT
[#2]

If it ain't Tiger Stripe... it's a clown suit!!! IMHO
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 2:02:52 PM EDT
[#3]
If people are looking at/for you without the aid of thermal imaging or night vision---military.

If you're hiding from animals---you could wear a Hawaiian shirt as long as your outline was broken up...  [:O]

I like TimberGhost camo for "the woods".
For urban environment, shades of grey clothing in irregular patterns.
For everything else, TigerStripe.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Advantage is just about perfect for deer hunting in the fall deciduous woods.

The extra pockets on military gear sure come in handy though.

Edited to add that my local Wal-Mart is now selling BDUs in Advantage and some other mainstream hunting camo pattern.  Best of both worlds, except the buttons are sewn on instead of using webbing.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 3:51:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#6]
If you really want to learn alot about camo patterns and how well they perform, play paintball or do something similar.  I have learned that, when on the right person, woodland is just as good as any mossy oak or realtree pattern.  Not to mention our 5 man team all in matching BDU's really intimidates the hell out of our opponents.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 4:05:35 PM EDT
[#7]
It's Shag-a-delic
Yeah Baby, Yeah... [}:D]

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/016/t7/bv/Bj/yi73378.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's Shag-a-delic
Yeah Baby, Yeah... [}:D]

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/016/t7/bv/Bj/yi73378.jpg[/img]
View Quote

This looks like someone that knows not all critters are vision deficient.

If you hunt preditors or turky you better know a little something about cammo.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Is that a scope or a red dot sight ? I don't see the use for a scope on a Shotgun, but a sight might be usefull.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is that a scope or a red dot sight ? I don't see the use for a scope on a Shotgun, but a sight might be usefull.
View Quote

That's an Aimpoint red dot sight.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Its my older Comp M. Needed to do something with it when I ugraded. [:D]

Am planning on using it for nite time predator hunting and maybe turkey also.
Think about those tiny beads on the vent rib. They can easily disappear at nite when a spotlite is on a critter.

Last Sunday, tried it on claybirds with a Super Full RemChoke. Prety kewl. That was a blast.

The reddot performs the same on a smoothbore as on a SUR. It helps you get on target, 'fast".

Some field time will tell if this is fantasy or a better mousetrap.

Look at this link: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=61589[/url]

That image was a quicky that I had someone take of me. Could be better.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:31:34 PM EDT
[#12]
The old choco-chip desert cammo is still excellent for the Mojave Desert.  I have sat around in it 15 feet from a desert mud puddle, and many doves walked all around, not seeing me.  I was holding a shotgun.

While walking along in desert camo, wearing a desert camo poncho, a covey of quails watched me unconcernedly as I walked right up on them.

I think some of the new "Mossy Oak" style cammos would be good.  Best thing I have ever seen is a good ghillie suit that matches the terrain.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:32:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but tiger stripe is the an extremely ineffective pattern of camouflage.  It does look good but the repetition and same direction of the pattern, also the use of too much solid black coloring in the pattern is no good. (If you don't believe me ask Maj. John Plaster.)

Hunting camo is more oriented to a specific area.  If you pick the best one for your surroundings the only thing better is a custom ghillie suit.  For general use good old woodland does a good job.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but tiger stripe is the an extremely ineffective pattern of camouflage.  It does look good but the repetition and same direction of the pattern, also the use of too much solid black coloring in the pattern is no good. (If you don't believe me ask Maj. John Plaster.)

Hunting camo is more oriented to a specific area.  If you pick the best one for your surroundings the only thing better is a custom ghillie suit.  For general use good old woodland does a good job.  
View Quote

Ditto what Sniperm88 said. By today's standards, one of the worst choices in camo anyone could make.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#15]

If it ain't Tiger Stripe...it's a clown suit!!!

Don't make me come back and say it again.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Is that sarcastic enough for you?
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If it ain't Tiger Stripe...it's a clown suit!!!

Don't make me come back and say it again.
View Quote

Better be wearing a "clown suit" or we'll see ya' coming. [:)]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#18]

I believed the question of this thread is... what's better military or hunting camo?...not what pattern is the best?

In the first post is the correct answer.

Military... with big buttons and cargo pockets. They also offer a large variety of patterns to choose from.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but tiger stripe is the an extremely ineffective pattern of camouflage. It does look good but the repetition and same direction of the pattern, also the use of too much solid black coloring in the pattern is no good. (If you don't believe me ask Maj. John Plaster.)

Hunting camo is more oriented to a specific area. If you pick the best one for your surroundings the only thing better is a custom ghillie suit. For general use good old woodland does a good job.

Ditto what Sniperm88 said. By today's standards, one of the worst choices in camo anyone could make.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#19]

If the clown suit(camo) I am wearing comes close to the color of the surrounding terrain and I am using a little cover and NOT MOVING. You will not see me.

Camo is just a part of the game.

Total deception of the sense's is what works, not just color or pattern.

Don't make me come back here again.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#20]
TigerStripe:

"it's not about not being seen; it's a Fashion Statement"

Actually, naked except for a loincloth and covered with mud is pretty effective, too!
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Consider this:

I am Red / Green /Brown    Color Blind.

Unless you have the exact coloring and pattern of the specific backround where you sit, stand or lay - anything is a clown suit to me.

Bambi may as well be wearing a fuzzy wig and big red shoes as far as I am concerned.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 1:49:32 AM EDT
[#22]
if the the sun is filtering through the canopy onto lush green vegitation tiger stripe can make you INVISIBLE. wear that stuff in a hardwood forest and you'll stick out like a turd in a punchbowl. repeat after me Gents..."camoflauge is continuous"  remember that phrase. even the most shit-hot S/S in the world is constantly adding to his ghillie. every 50ft of your stalk can find you in front of different colors which should be sampled in your camo. if you add even a little 3-D element to GI woodland pattern it becomes highly effective. cant beat the price either.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 3:42:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Not to get off the subject but I got ask SIX a question.

Does being red and green color blind affect your car insurance rates at all?
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 3:01:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Not to get off the subject but I got ask SIX a question.

Does being red and green color blind affect your car insurance rates at all?
View Quote

In all honesty - when I walk into the DMV - I tell them don't even bother. They make me do it anyway and I fail.

That being said, I have a preception of what each color looks like to me - but it isn't what it is to you. Generally, greens/reds/browns for me are interchanged - example a green traffic light may appear Red to me. (esp older lights where they are kinda washed out). I have to look at where they are on the "tree" in those cases.

Flying and Vase' (sp?) [landing lights that change color with elevation] - ummm - nope they don't really change much for me.

As a kid my parents had a brown car. For 2 years I thought it was bright green.

Edited to say - no I am not charged more. I am exceptionally cautious about this though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top