Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2001 11:50:50 AM EDT
It is the same as usual.  We send a few expensive bombs, and blow stuff up.  Not people, but things (well, maybe a few people).  The news says the Taliban is digging in and reinforcements are coming from other countries.  We may have a few spec ops stuff going on but nothing that will beat the crap out of them as a whole.  Does anybody think we're going to send ground troops in?  I'm starting to think this whole thing is going to fizzle out, our gub'ment will declare "victory" and the Talibastards will be laughing at us.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I think that the powers that be kind of half expected that we could intimidate them out of power with some surgical strikes and saber rattling.  I can't blame our government from trying that method, after all, if it had worked, it would have been the least costly tactic.  

At this point though, the Taliban haven't been intimidated out of the trenches, so it is now time to give'em a real taste of the awful!  I just hope that the US population knows that this will probably mean many casualties.  Even if there was no shooting, mines would still cause some damage...
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#2]
be patient. the longer the buildup, the more effective the attack will be when it finally comes. i'm sure it will eventually come to ground troops, but i'd rather bomb the heck out of the tali's and al queda first, soften them up so to speak.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#3]
What would happen if say, the UN blue helmets attacked the Appalachian region of the US?  They would be shot at and harried by every hillbilly, right?  Well, we're about to fight a war against Afghanistan, and *everyone* there is a hillbilly with a gun or RPG.  Who do you bet will win?  Anyone?  Hint:  Think Viet Nam.  Think, Soviet Union's worst ass-kicking ever.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2001 1:11:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually, word is things are really heating up on those Kabul front lines. I hope we're finally getting to the point of carpet bombing that scum.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I tend to believe we are following the right path to winning this war.

The Soviets used groups of special forces, from 1979 through 1986, to take over Afghanistan.  The mujahideen left Afghanistan to boardering coutries  Then we joined the war, handing out hundreds of stingers, and the Soviets lost air control.  Once air support was lost, the Soviets took heavy losses.

Today the Taliban receives support of a couple thousand Pakistani supporters, instead of some decent equipment.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#6]
How many bombs is worth a single American soldier's life?  How many Afghan civilian deaths?  

I say the longer they can bomb the better, and the next run should be every UN/Unicef/World Food warehouse in enemy territory.  What do you think the Taliwackers will be eating all winter?  Food paid for by Red Cross $'s that we donated to help the WTC/Pentagon victims/families.  

Any vehicle heading in country is either enemy troop reinforcements or re-supply, should make easy targets as "refugees" will not be heading towards the frontlines.  And bomb enemy resupply points, wherever they may be (mistake we learned with Hanoi).  That may mean inside Pakistan.  

Fortunatley we have some good experienced leaders running the show.  Rumsfeld has memories of what happened in Vietnam when we tied the military's hands.  I doubt Powell would support a bad military option.

There are tons of things going on that we are unaware of, and won't know until it's on History channel in 2025.  We DID learn from the Russians that a foriegn force on the ground will unite even the Northern Alliance against us, so let's let the Afghans fight it out a long as possible & provide support.  Once the Alliance starts making progress more Afghans will support them, as yo do not want to be on the loosing side there, they will play football with your head.

Be patient.  This will not be like Desert Storm, or Vietnam.  It will just take time & everything will be changed over the coming years as a result of the WTC/Pentagon.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I think you will find that the Taliban is just something to play with untill we can get our hands the right info.
There are still a buch of cowards out there there are still states that help them,we don't know everyhing yet so we stall.

Look at how the Taliban troops are set up in the north and the handfull left in the rest of Afghan. it would take us about 3 or 4 hrs. of bombing from a B52 or B1 to kill 6,-7,000 troops.

I bet they think Americans would get sick of havving troops over there so they will hold off untill the last min. or they may be saving them for something you don't know about.
Think about it,if you could beat the Taliban with out troops and know you will need your troops down the road would you:A, use the for nothing B,hold off?
There is more to the story.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#8]
We should be carpet bombing that shithole 24/7. Not only would it make things easier for us to invade at a later date, but building all of the bombs we would need would help our economy.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 2:03:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top