Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2001 9:39:32 PM EDT
Went to gunshow today and picked up a S&W Model 52-2 in 97-98% condition with two mags tools and papers (no box) for $500.  Did I get shafted too bad?

marsh
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 1:07:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Hell no-you did fine-i bought one for less once upon a time, but for that kind of quality you can't beat it for it's purpose..now all you need to do is order you a few thousand Speer HBWCutters and enjoy--i did notice the other day that Smith was making it again in 9MM that shoots 10 times--now that would be a sweetie but i also noticed that the price is 1500 little ones...so be proud of your 52....Dick
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:22:34 AM EDT
[#2]
If S&W says they are making it again in 9MM and shoots 10 rounds, why don't they just call it a Model 39?  That's what a 39 is in the first place.  And that's the basic pistol S&W used to build the Model 52.

Model 52's were hand-built.  Also called the .38 Master, parts from M39's usually won't work without hand-fitting.  H@ll, parts from one 52 many times won't fit another 52.

Model 52's weren't built to handle 9MM loads.  They load and shoot .38 mid-range wadcutter only.  They are strictly a bullseye target pistol.  The magazine only holds 5 rounds as called for in competition.  And there are a few mechanical differences that make a true Model 52 unique.

That being said the actions are incredibly smooth and well built.  Feels like you're sliding velvet together.

I can't envision S&W building a real 52 again.  Hand work costs too much these days.  Sounds like S&W is building the old Model 39 again.

I've got a Model 52-2 complete with barrel weights, barrel wrench, box and all the goodies.  It's one of my keepers along with a cherry early Model 41 that's been Clark converted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top