Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2001 9:39:32 PM EDT
Went to gunshow today and picked up a S&W Model 52-2 in 97-98% condition with two mags tools and papers (no box) for $500. Did I get shafted too bad? marsh
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 1:07:25 AM EDT
Hell no-you did fine-i bought one for less once upon a time, but for that kind of quality you can't beat it for it's purpose..now all you need to do is order you a few thousand Speer HBWCutters and enjoy--i did notice the other day that Smith was making it again in 9MM that shoots 10 times--now that would be a sweetie but i also noticed that the price is 1500 little ones...so be proud of your 52....Dick
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:22:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/28/2001 3:17:43 AM EDT by Arock]
If S&W says they are making it again in 9MM and shoots 10 rounds, why don't they just call it a Model 39? That's what a 39 is in the first place. And that's the basic pistol S&W used to build the Model 52. Model 52's were hand-built. Also called the .38 Master, parts from M39's usually won't work without hand-fitting. H@ll, parts from one 52 many times won't fit another 52. Model 52's weren't built to handle 9MM loads. They load and shoot .38 mid-range wadcutter only. They are strictly a bullseye target pistol. The magazine only holds 5 rounds as called for in competition. And there are a few mechanical differences that make a true Model 52 unique. That being said the actions are incredibly smooth and well built. Feels like you're sliding velvet together. I can't envision S&W building a real 52 again. Hand work costs too much these days. Sounds like S&W is building the old Model 39 again. I've got a Model 52-2 complete with barrel weights, barrel wrench, box and all the goodies. It's one of my keepers along with a cherry early Model 41 that's been Clark converted.
Top Top