Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2001 5:26:03 AM EDT
Am I the only one that doesn't buy this?? Unless this kid has a museum piece with no gate on it, it just doesn't seem likely on a .38 revolver.

My guess? He blasted his buddy.

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGA0GDZABTC.html

Gun Goes off in Backpack on Campus
The Associated Press
Published: Oct 27, 2001

REDONDO BEACH, Calif. (AP) - A 16-year-old high school student was wounded on campus when a friend's handgun accidentally fired as the friend's backpack tumbled off a ledge.
The student from Redondo Union High School was in stable condition at the University of California, Los Angeles Harbor Hospital. A bullet had entered his left side Friday and pierced a lung before exiting. He is expected to fully recover.

His friend, a senior, was arrested for investigation of possessing a firearm on school property and possession of a stolen firearm, a .38-caliber revolver. He was released to his parents.

Neither boy has a criminal record. Their names were withheld because they are juveniles.

The shooting happened outside about 10 a.m. After some students reported a cherry bomb firecracker might have exploded, school officials ordered a lock-down and called police, who arrested the older student.

AP-ES-10-27-01 0656EDT

Link Posted: 10/27/2001 6:26:13 AM EDT
[#1]
It was a revolver? I say BS; it did not just go off.

High Performance Tactical Gear!
[url]www.Lightfighter.com[/url]
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 6:52:42 AM EDT
[#2]
[b]...possessing a firearm on school property and possession of a stolen firearm, a .38-caliber revolver.[/b]
View Quote

Nail his ass to the wall...
What do you want to bet he was part of the baggy pants brigade?
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:00:17 AM EDT
[#3]
"A bullet had entered his left side Friday and pierced a lung before exiting."

This is what gets me!

Befor exiting!?! one time I shot a dog my wife ran over,put the damn gun right up to the dog's head and the round did not exit.

Hell when I had my POS .38 I shot a milk jug full of water and it did not make it out the other side.

Maybe if they said it was a 9mm but not a stink'en .38
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:18:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Yup that's bull.  Kid One shot Kid Two.  Show me the alleged hole in the backpack.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:20:06 AM EDT
[#5]
A 16-year-old high school student was wounded on campus [red]when a friend's handgun accidentally fired[/red] as the friend's backpack tumbled off a ledge.
View Quote

Is it just me, or does this spin make it sound a little to "chummy", and that the student legally owned the revolver..?

Sure, they finally said "stolen firearm", but where did they mention that he committed at least 4 or more felonies (theft of a firearm or receiving stolen property, assault with a deadly weapon, illegal possession by a minor, illegal concealed carry[/i]) , and why was he released to his parents..?

A bullet had entered his left side Friday and pierced a lung before exiting.
View Quote

This would be a soft tissue wound, most likely passing between the ribs without making contact.  This is one very luccky kid!

Maybe if they said it was a 9mm but not a stink'en .38
View Quote

380, 9mm, 38, and 357 are basically the same bore diameter...  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the 38 is more powerful than a 9mm, since the brass is longer...  Since I don't have a reloading manual anymore, I can't be positive of the loads and pressures.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:29:48 AM EDT
[#6]
more proof that gun control works....
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:34:25 AM EDT
[#7]
This obviously is not true as there are laws that prohibit guns at school in Kali! [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:38:45 AM EDT
[#8]
... Hey, I KNOW it can happen!
I saw it on TV.
A movie called True Lies.
In that case is was an open bolt firing MAC10 (same as a revolver basically) and it shot all kinds of people!

[/sarcasm]
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:42:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Maybe if this kid would have been told about TREETOP's flaming backpack story, this tragedy could have been averted...

Shame on you TREETOP.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:01:02 AM EDT
[#10]
When we hear the words revolver we automatically think of a modern double action. This scenario could easily have happened with an old model Blackhawk or any number of colts/ETC made before transfer bars were invented.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I dont know that I have ever seen the .38 blackhawk.

[beer]

tc, I recieved the CD with the manuals today. Wife called all freaked out about a letter from florida, do you know this guy, hahaha.  Thanks for the prompt delivery. I wont get to check it out until I get back from hunting this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:18:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Did the handgun in question pass the new "handgun safety tests" requirement recently enacted in California.

Just proves Californians can't be trusted to own handguns.
Maybe they should register all handguns in California, that would stop these kind of incidents.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 10:04:28 AM EDT
[#13]
This is the type of shit that pisses me off . They arrest him for a serious crime and release him to his parents . This is the typical response " it was the guns fault " . If they would send these little morons away for the crimes on the books and quit making more useless laws they might get a handle on the problem . But since  "it was the guns fault " lets sue the manufacture and hold them responsible , never mind all of the rules regarding its use were violated . When will the damn place fall into the ocean ?
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 10:07:46 AM EDT
[#14]
"Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the 38 is more powerful than a 9mm, since the brass is longer"

No not really,9mm is more powerful than .38,not by alot.

The big thing is a 9mm is alot faster.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 11:55:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

[beer]

View Quote

Hey the media is capable of making up anything! We had a guy down here that held a whole mall hostage with a .25 revolver! I bet you never heard of one of those either!
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Well to be truthful the .38 can be much more powerful. The old N-frame 38-44 was the forrunner to the .357 mag. and used a very hot loaded .38 spl round. However in mordern factory (except mine) loads the 9mm edeges out the .38. This is because there are some very old revolvers that will chamber the .38 case. I don't believe for a second, that the gun went off by itself, unless the little fool had it cocked in the pack. He still needs to be charged.      
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Hell when I had my POS .38 I shot a milk jug full of water and it did not make it out the other side.

View Quote

If you handload, and were shooting the lightest .38 wadcutter target loads, shooting at a milk jug at 50 yards- [i][b]M-A-Y-B-E[/i][/b], and I still don't buy it.

There isn't a factory .38 load that won't pierce both sides of a milk jug filled with water. Even pre-frags would get some of the projo out of the other end.

Period.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Maybe if this kid would have been told about TREETOP's flaming backpack story, this tragedy could have been averted...

Shame on you TREETOP.
View Quote

Exactly. I was just thinking that it would be strange if the backpack burst into flames...
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shame on you TREETOP.
View Quote

Exactly. I was just thinking that it would be strange if the backpack burst into flames...
View Quote

THATS IT! The backpack burst into flames and the revolver rounds cooked off! The round in the 12 o'clock chamber shot the kid! Elementary my dear Watson!
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 6:53:50 PM EDT
[#20]
kids who commit adult crimes are
not childeren any more and should not be treated as kids i never shot
anybody growing up because i did
not walk around with gun. it was
illeagle it was a big fat felony
hammer the criminal not socity.
let all these stupid juvinilles
know that they will not allowed them to get away with thier gangster fantasy. kids act like kids, criminals act like criminal.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#21]
A revolver COULD go off, IF it was an old one without a transfer bar between the hammer and the firing pin.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#22]
No modern semi-decent quality revolver can go off with out pulling the trigger. Both my .38's have a steel block in front of the firing pin that will only move with a full pull of the trigger. Either that kid has an antique or it's the same old stupid kid story, "Hey! look what I have! No, don't worry, it's safe! " BANG!

As for 9mm vs .38sp, I have 158gr Corbon's that travel at 1050fps, try to match that in a "9mm".
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
As for 9mm vs .38sp, I have 158gr Corbon's that travel at 1050fps, try to match that in a "9mm".
View Quote

9mm, 115gr FMJ, 1180fps - of course I haven't chrono'd them, but that's what Alliant says they travel at...
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 11:41:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[beer]
View Quote

Hey the media is capable of making up anything! We had a guy down here that held a whole mall hostage with a .25 revolver! I bet you never heard of one of those either!
View Quote

.357 loaded with .38"s? At least it was'nt labeled as a "high capacity" revolver.[uzi]
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 11:53:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I reckon that's a [b]GUN FREE ZONE.[/b]

Hey I got an S&W 638.  Shoots hi-powered .38 +p+'s![:P]
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 11:59:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
... Hey, I KNOW it can happen!
I saw it on TV.
A movie called True Lies.
In that case is was an open bolt firing MAC10 (same as a revolver basically) and it shot all kinds of people!

[/sarcasm]
View Quote

Hey I remember that scene.

Damm stamped sheetmetal open bolt POS.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 12:08:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 12:18:46 AM EDT
[#28]
heres a link for the local newspaper in that area, which happens to be a majority WHITE beach community with upscale homes.
[url]http://www.dailybreeze.com/content/bln/nmshoot27.html[/url]

"The .38-caliber Derringer, which does not have a trigger lock, was recovered"
-----------------------------------------------

obviously anti-gun liberal newspapers and sketchy reporting results in less than accurate facts.
my INTERPRETATION of the incident is that the kid had 2 shot derringer pistol, which have NO TRIGGER GAURD (the paper says "trigger lock"), and with the short barrel of a derringer there was very little bullet velocity to do much damage at moderate ranges.
so put the 38spcl VS 9mm or whatever debate away.

ill post more links as the news becomes more accurate, maybe it will change the minds of those here who think they know what really happened.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 12:21:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 12:36:33 AM EDT
[#30]
the US Border Patrol is a FEDERAL agency, so whatever happened to you, which sounds Weird, has NOTHING to do with kalif.

tell us the rest of the BP story, it doesnt seem like the USBP would be targeting the AZ/KA border, unless you went down through mexico.

or was it an agricultural check point? the FEDS have those set up along Kalif border to stop people from bringing contaminated fruit (with fruit flys) into kalif and wrecking our agricultural industry that feeds a large portion of America.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 12:41:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Can you even put a trigger lock on a two-shot Derringer?

Maybe you can retrofit it with a "smart gun" device.  Or maybe not, it was stolen.

Anyone have one of those Cop-357 four-shot Derringers?
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 12:47:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Wow!  Pretty big story to have made it from California across to Florida!

Nobody even got killed this time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:25:07 AM EDT
[#33]
nope cant put a trigger lock on a derringer, theres no trigger guard, can put put a cable lock through the barrel.

i think those guns even made it past the "kalif safe gun" testing law.

i always thought those 357mag COP derringers were neat-O, ive seen 1 or 2 at a gun show.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:58:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Backpack falls, gun goes off, backpack lights on fire, Treetop blamed.

Sorry, I've wanted to post that since yesterday, and the urge just got too much to resist.z

Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#35]
[img]http://www.ar15.com/members/albums/Big%5FBear%2Fbackpack%2Egif[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top