Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2001 6:31:51 AM EDT
I heard on WTOP news radio (here in Washington DC) that government handwriting analysts have concluded that the notes left in the anthrax envelopes were written in a style consistant with that of an American, not someone from the Middle East.  Does anybody have additional confirmation of this??
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 6:41:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Did the analysts offer any theories on why the addresses were written so crudely?  They look to me like they were written by a 10 year old (although I've known a few adults with similarly dismal penmanship [;)] ).

And were the envelopes postmarked on 9/11?
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 6:45:13 AM EDT
[#2]
The addresses were written in a simple block script that cannot be "analyzed".  It's not like handwriting.  Use a pen and a ruler to make block letters and no-one can link you to the writing based on the letter shape alone.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 6:45:20 AM EDT
[#3]
The letters were dated 9/11 but they didn't say anything about the postmark date.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 6:51:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Did the analysts offer any theories on why the addresses were written so crudely?  They look to me like they were written by a 10 year old (although I've known a few adults with similarly dismal penmanship [;)] ).

And were the envelopes postmarked on 9/11?
View Quote

I thought that was the intent of the letters.  The return address had something about a 4th grade class.

It could people educated here, and have lived here for years.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:00:56 AM EDT
[#5]
This attack is being done by al queda terrorists.  There is no question.  Although some domestic groups have supposedly been testing anthrax, there is no way they could have gotten the whole thing up and running so quickly after the 9/11 attacks.  It'd be a hell of a coincidence that some domestic group was manufacturing weapons grade anthrax that just happened to be finished in the middle of September.

The govt just isn't stating that its definitely connected because they are worried about creating a panic.  Unlike domestic terrorists, it is extremely likely the terrorists have a lot of anthrax and will mail out in waves continuously for the next few years.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:10:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
...It'd be a hell of a coincidence that some domestic group was manufacturing weapons grade anthrax that just happened to be finished in the middle of September....
View Quote

It wasn't "weapons grade".  Weapons grade is a form of anthrax who's spores are reduced in size so as to pass through the lung tissue and therefore increase the damage and guarantee death.  Domestic or naturally produced anthrax spores are considerably bigger and sometimes get stuck in the trachea.

Despite what Rep. Gephardt has been saying, the CDC has indicated that it is NOT weapons grade.  It is not out of the realm of possiblity that it has been domestically produced.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:15:14 AM EDT
[#7]
IMHO terrorist writting written by right handed person using their left hand.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:17:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Why should they continue to mail it out?  They have acheieved their goal of terror. (I guess that's why they call them terrorists!)
If they have anymore anthrax, it will be delievered in a totally different way.  They have already thrown the airlines into a tailspin, and now the postal service.  Why waste resources on something  you have already done.  The will look to wreck/terrorize another aspect of American life while our leaders are fighting the last war or in this case the last attack.  Osama et al are happy with us wasting time  and resources about reinforcing cockpit doors and curbside check etc in while they plan on hitting a Monday Night Football game, or the World Series game, or sinking a cruise ship.
We have to limit our reaction to the attacks and focus on bringing doom on the perps.  You dont win a war by killing just soldiers, but  by killing the leaders and /or their ability to lead and direct their soldiers.  And after you kill them, shoot them again to  make sure.  Dont let em up after they whisper "uncle" like we did with Saddam.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#9]
It wasn't "weapons grade".
View Quote

Then again, maybe it was... [url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47864-2001Oct24.html[/url]

Nonetheless, the conclusion that the spores were produced with military quality differs considerably from public comments made recently by officials close to the investigation, who have said the spores were not "weaponized" and were "garden variety." Those descriptions may be technically true, depending on how one defines those terms, several experts said. But they obscure the basic and more important truth that the spores were treated with a sophisticated process, meaning the original source was almost certainly a state-sponsored laboratory.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:30:26 AM EDT
[#10]
If I were them, I'd go for the mall of America.  I'm not them, and therefore I hope that there are systems to stop a biological attack in one of the the most populated indoor spaces in the USA.  Domed stadiums and larger office buildings should be watched too.  Also, if Iraq is involved in this anthrax thing, we MUST use a nuke on them.  It can be a small tactical instead of a large ballistic missile MIRV, but we must use nuclear weapons if a foreign nation is involved in order to make the successful 50 year old idea of deterrence work in the future.  This would be completely legal by international law and all treaties.

Also, the anthrax is obviously small enough not to get stuck before it reaches the lungs.  They just seem to not want to admit that it is weapons grade.  They have also made stupid statements about how a crop duster could not be used to spread anthrax because a complicated mechanism would need to be invented to spray a powder.  I guess it'd be too hard for a terrorist to go to a hardware store, buy a sandblaster, and adapt it to the cropduster.  I swear the goverment must think the terrorists are retarded.  Either that, or our govt's biowarfare experts are retarded.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:53:10 AM EDT
[#11]
It's my understanding that the term 'weapons grade' when refering to anthrax is spore < 5 micron AND developed to be resistant to known cures for it.

So the weapons grade theory appears to be half right.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:00:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 10:08:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...It'd be a hell of a coincidence that some domestic group was manufacturing weapons grade anthrax that just happened to be finished in the middle of September....
View Quote

It wasn't "weapons grade".  Weapons grade is a form of anthrax who's spores are reduced in size so as to pass through the lung tissue and therefore increase the damage and guarantee death.  Domestic or naturally produced anthrax spores are considerably bigger and sometimes get stuck in the trachea.

Despite what Rep. Gephardt has been saying, the CDC has indicated that it is NOT weapons grade.  It is not out of the realm of possiblity that it has been domestically produced.  
View Quote

Have you seen the definition of "weapons grade"... it simply means the substance has been refined to the point where it is easily distributed in a highly contageous form.  Seeing as how the powder form is more potent than the liquid form, which Iraq uses as a weapon, I would say the antrax in the attacks was "weapons grade".
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It wasn't "weapons grade".
View Quote

Then again, maybe it was... [url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47864-2001Oct24.html[/url]

Nonetheless, the conclusion that the spores were produced with military quality differs considerably from public comments made recently by officials close to the investigation, who have said the spores were not "weaponized" and were "garden variety." Those descriptions may be technically true, depending on how one defines those terms, several experts said. But they obscure the basic and more important truth that the spores were treated with a sophisticated process, meaning the original source was almost certainly a state-sponsored laboratory.
View Quote
View Quote

good link on the "It came out of a bikers bathtub debate"

The finding strongly suggests that the anthrax spores in the U.S. mail attacks were not produced in a university or makeshift laboratory or simply gathered from natural sources. But it does not answer the question of whether a state-sponsored laboratory supplied the anthrax spores directly to terrorists or simply lost control of some stocks in recent years.

The presence of the high-grade additive was confirmed for the first time yesterday by a government source familiar with the ongoing studies, which are being conducted by scientists at the Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases at Fort Detrick in Frederick. Four other experts in anthrax weapons said they had no doubt that such an additive was present based on the high dispersal rate from the letter to Daschle (D-S.D.).

"The evidence is patent on its face," said Alan Zelicoff, a senior scientist at Sandia National Laboratories' Center for National Security and Arms Control. "The amount of energy needed to disperse the spores [by merely opening an envelope] was trivial, which is virtually diagnostic of achieving the appropriate coating."
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Hand[space]Writing??
[url]http://www.usatoday.com/life/2001-10-22-penmanship.htm[/url]

"People are coming out of the woodwork making completely ridiculous comments on TV," says Sheila Kurtz, a New York graphologist who does psychological profiles based on writing.

But she says she will only do so if she can look at substantial samples of writing. Photos of two envelopes in the anthrax cases are not sufficient to tell even if the writer tried to disguise his or her identity, she says.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2001 10:44:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I had heard on the radio that a polish terrorist tried to E-mail the anthrax but it didnt work.  [:D]

[beer]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top