Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2001 8:42:21 AM EDT
[url]http://www.msnbc.com/news/633205.asp[/url]

A Turkish citizen who boarded a plane to Iran was arrested Tuesday in Frankfurt, Germany, after authorities found instructions for an Islamic holy war, a protective suit against biological and chemical warfare and material for detonators in his luggage.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Also, I saw in an earlier news report, back when the antrax thing was first starting, maybe even a bit before, that one of the people who saw one of the terrorists in FL (forget his name) said it looked like he had a skin rash, maybe he got infected himself.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm just hoping that the trail goes through bin Laden and all the way to Hussein. That would make my year (after we bomb the snot out of both of them, of course).
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#3]
The story was from a Pharmacist in Florida that actually had contact with Mohammed Atta before the 9-11 Attacks. Atta came into his Pharmacy with some kind of skin infection on his palms. He was examined by this Pharmacist and got some topical anti-biotics for it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm guessing Atta was screwing around with improvised explosives or chemical weapons rather than bio. Many explosives require acids, which could cause skin irritation.

If he was that careless with anthrax, he'd have probably been dead.

I can't see the hijackers themselves creating the anthrax. It would have violated cell security to have two operations run by the same people. And I think they had their hands full learning how to fly, let alone running a bio lab. It's possible they smuggled in the anthrax from Europe and distributed it once they got here.

I'm still wondering when some arabic guy in Trenton is going to kick the bucket with a mysterious lung infection. What precautions did they take filling envelopes for mailing?

Link Posted: 10/23/2001 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The story was from a Pharmacist in Florida that actually had contact with Mohammed Atta before the 9-11 Attacks. Atta came into his Pharmacy with some kind of skin infection on his palms. He was examined by this Pharmacist and got some topical anti-biotics for it.
View Quote

The Pharmacist also said he didn’t think it was anthrax because there were no blisters, just chemical burns.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#6]
See! it was not the Jews.
(for you who think that)
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Although this Turkish guy might very well be connected to bin Laden, I should point out that this news story about the "conclusive proof" makes no mention of either OBL or anthrax.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Although this Turkish guy might very well be connected to bin Laden, I should point out that this news story about the "conclusive proof" makes no mention of either OBL or anthrax.
View Quote

One of the sites mentioned that he had a “training and recruitment” video for a terrorist org (Al Queda?). Rumsfeld went public today with the fact that the Ts that did 9/11 were based in Hamburg. Gephart and others have stated that the ‘material’ is weapons grade and seriously refined (specifically mentioning Iraq as a suspect)

Atta met with the Iraq version of the CIA in Hamburg.

FUCK what do you want a signed confession??
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
(for you who think that)
View Quote

Who ever claimed it was the "Jews"?????!!

DaMan
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
(for you who think that)
View Quote

Who ever claimed it was the "Jews"?????!!

DaMan
View Quote
There have been some who insinuated such and some others who insinuate that our own government did it.  Some have also suggested that the "Jews" or our government were also behind the 9/11 attacks.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#11]
SO, Larry do YOU think the Anthrax was from Israel?????  I don't!  Think it was DOMESTIC!

DaMan
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
SO, Larry do YOU think the Anthrax was from Israel?????  I don't!  Think it was DOMESTIC!

DaMan
View Quote

OK,
So we’ve got
a) An Al Queda guy running around with a CBW suit.
b) Letters mailed from towns that were known hangouts for cool and the gang.
c) An Al Queda guy attempting to test fly a crop duster (delivery system for something)
d) Attacks on media outlets that ran serious anti-usama rhetoric the week before the letters are mailed
----- The Sun ran a cover of Usama with horns and red reticle center over his nose
e) Known meetings between Al Queda and Iraq
----- Iraq being the only nation known to have used anthrax.
----- Iraq being a country that has known ties to several terrorists groups
----- Iraq having made tons of threats of ‘vengeance’ and ‘terror’ regarding the US
f) Post 9/11credit card usage in and around the area where the letters were mailed
g) Several of the most credible arrests being made just miles from where the letters were mailed
h) Manuals on biowar in the apartment of one of the men arrested.

Damn I can see how the source MUST be domestic. 2+2 = 5

[whacko]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Gephart and others have stated that the ‘material’ is weapons grade and seriously refined (specifically mentioning Iraq as a suspect)
View Quote

If it was weapons grade a lot more than 3 people would be dead. Since only 3 people have died of anthrax so far...(you draw the obvious conclusion.)

Everything I've seen so far pinpoints the strain as a garden-variety agricultural animal strain created in Iowa back in the 50s or 60s.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gephart and others have stated that the ‘material’ is weapons grade and seriously refined (specifically mentioning Iraq as a suspect)
View Quote

If it was weapons grade a lot more than 3 people would be dead. Since only 3 people have died of anthrax so far...(you draw the obvious conclusion.)

Everything I've seen so far pinpoints the strain as a garden-variety agricultural animal strain created in Iowa back in the 50s or 60s.
View Quote

Erm yea.
Some biker whipped it up in his bathtub.

Consider for a moment:
Some extremely well funded nations have been unable to develop weapons grade stuff. It took Iraq like five years to do it with some success. Korea has been working on it for decades.

Short of some report about it being the Aimes (sp) strain. (A report that was later retracted I might add) What evidence do you have to support your SUPER DUPER genius bathtub biker lab theory?
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 4:35:48 AM EDT
[#15]
[url]http://www.nypost.com/news/worldnews/32458.htm[/url]

OSAMA BOUGHT
A BATCH FOR 10G

By NILES LATHEM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 24, 2001 -- WASHINGTON - Terror master Osama bin Laden bought samples of anthrax by mail from shady laboratories in Eastern Europe and Asia for as little as $10,000, a former follower has told authorities in Egypt.
The astonishing claim of how easily - and cheaply - the world's most wanted terrorist was able to acquire anthrax and other deadly germ agents was made in a 143-page confession of former extremist Ahmad Ibrahim al-Najjar at a recent trial of more than 100 members of the Egyptian Islamic Jihad.

Al-Najjar, serving a life sentence in Egypt, was among several Islamic Jihad operatives arrested in Albania in 1999 and brought home to Egypt to face trial for a series of attempts to destabilize the pro-Western government of President Hosni Mubarak.

According to translated accounts of his testimony obtained by The Post, al-Najjar told authorities there was nothing cloak-and-dagger about bin Laden's transactions involving deadly biological agents.

"Factories" in the Czech Republic and elsewhere in Eastern Europe supplied deadly bacteria, including e-coli and salmonella, by mail without checking the identities of the purchasers as long as bin Laden's agents paid $7,500 up front, al-Najjar said.

Bin Laden's group was able to get the anthrax germ from another "factory" in Southeast Asia, which supplied it to the Indonesian-based Islamic Moro Front, a terror group closely associated with bin Laden.

The price for the anthrax spores, al-Najjar said, was $3,685, "plus shipping costs."

U.S. officials say they don't yet know whether bin Laden is responsible for the anthrax scare gripping the nation, although President Bush and other senior officials say they are suspicious.

Bin Laden is known to have contacts with Iraqi officials and mafia groups in former Soviet republics - nations that have extensive chemical- and biological-weapons programs and that are known to have experimented with anthrax.
View Quote

Hmmm may not be Iraq after all.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 5:05:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Gee, we don't know if the three letters are related.

Uh, I think all three have the same stamp.

[url]http://www.fbi.gov/pressrel/pressrel01/102301.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 5:15:09 AM EDT
[#17]
[img]http://www.cnn.com/interactive/health/0110/anthrax.letters/pop.anthrax.written.letters.jpg[/img]

So today we’ve got
a) An Al Queda guy running around with a CBW suit.
b) Letters mailed from towns that were known hangouts for cool and the gang.
c) An Al Queda guy attempting to test fly a crop duster (delivery system for something)
d) Attacks on media outlets that ran serious anti-usama rhetoric the week before the letters are mailed
----- The Sun ran a cover of Usama with horns and red reticle center over his nose
e) Known meetings between Al Queda and Iraq
----- Iraq having made tons of threats of ‘vengeance’ and ‘terror’ regarding the US
f) Post 9/11credit card usage in and around the area where the letters were mailed
g) Several of the most credible arrests being made just miles from where the letters were mailed
h) Manuals on biowar in the apartment of one of the men arrested.
i) Usama buying anthrax from labs

Link Posted: 10/24/2001 5:20:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Those "Stamps" are the same .. because they are part of the "Pre-Stamped" envelopes that are available at your local neighbourhood Post Office...

Ted...
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 5:27:45 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

If the standard is "[b]conclusive proof[/b]" (your phrase, not mine), then yes, I do want something like that.  And we might get it if the "right" interrogation techniques are applied to some of the suspects in custody.  

What we have now is a large collection of circumstantial evidence that strongly suggests that bin Laden directed the anthrax mailings.

Iraq being the only nation known to have used anthrax.
View Quote

When and where has Iraq used anthrax?

Link Posted: 10/24/2001 5:34:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

If the standard is "[b]conclusive proof[/b]" (your phrase, not mine), then yes, I do want something like that.  And we might get it if the "right" interrogation techniques are applied to some of the suspects in custody.  

What we have now is a large collection of circumstantial evidence that strongly suggests that bin Laden directed the anthrax mailings.

Iraq being the only nation known to have used anthrax.
View Quote

When and where has Iraq used anthrax?

View Quote

Circumstantial evidence is all you get with people like this. They don’t leave witnesses and they don’t leave prints and I’m damn sure they didn’t lick the envelope shut.

As to when and where they used anthrax – Kurds 1990 and Iran in (I think) 1989. It didn't work all that well.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 6:31:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Not to sound like a broken record, but if they want "Death to Israel," why didn't they send at least one letter to some random place there?

Also, why would terrorists tell their victims on how to cure their infection?  Seems like if they wanted it to spread, they wouldn't tip off the reader that there is a problem.

[img]http://www.cnn.com/interactive/health/0110/anthrax.letters/pop.anthrax.written.letters.jpg [/img]

Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Not to sound like a broken record, but if they want "Death to Israel," why didn't they send at least one letter to some random place there?

Also, why would terrorists tell their victims on how to cure their infection?  Seems like if they wanted it to spread, they wouldn't tip off the reader that there is a problem.
View Quote

Suppose for a moment that you have 500~1000 gr. of anthrax you brought into the country disguised as makeup or whatever. It’s really not enough to cause mass casualties, even with ideal delivery.

Terrorists delude themselves into thinking that the whole reason for the attack is to draw attention to their cause. So they attack the top (10) few with small amounts to maximize the impact.

As far as the “You take penicillin now” and the "We have this anthrax." lines.Why does the IRA call in bomb threats with the precise location and time? It’s this sick psychological game that all the real baddies play.

[b]“Look!!! I could have killed you but I warned you instead.”[/b]

It’s supposed to demonstrate that they are merciful.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Erm yea.
Some biker whipped it up in his bathtub.
View Quote

I never said or implied that. I said the strain used in the attacks was developed (isolated, really) in Iowa during the 1950s.

Consider for a moment:

Some extremely well funded nations have been unable to develop weapons grade stuff. It took Iraq like five years to do it with some success. Korea has been working on it for decades.

Short of some report about it being the Aimes (sp) strain. (A report that was later retracted I might add) What evidence do you have to support your SUPER DUPER genius bathtub biker lab theory?
View Quote

"Some report?" EVERY report that I've seen so far has named the strain being used as the Ames strain. Perhaps you can come up with evidence to support your idea? My evidence is plain as can be - weapons-grade anthrax would have killed many more people than the 3 that are dead now. Since only 3 people been killed, it obviously isn't weapons-grade anthrax we're being hit with - or else bioweapons are nowhere near as effective as was previously thought. Anthrax is considered to be "weapons-grade" when it meets the following criteria:

1) Is especially virulent (Ames strain is very virulent. In fact, it's so virulent that if a vaccine protects against the Ames strain, it's said to protect against all strains.)

2) Is of the proper size. Spore particles larger than 5 microns will get caught in cilia and never reach the lungs in sufficient quantities to infect, and particles smaller than 1 micron will be exhaled (obviously, inhalation is the method of transmission for a bioweapon.)

3) Is, or can be, released in sufficient quantities to infect large numbers of people. A means of delivery that can only infect people who come into direct physical contact with it (i.e., letters and packages) isn't a very good way to spread a biowar agent. A large quantity of properly-sized particles have to be put into the air where as many people as possible will inhale them.

Ames strain is mentioned as being the strain used in the latest attacks at:

[url]http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/anthrax_sponsor011016.html[/url]

[url]http://www.thenewrepublic.com/express/orent101701.html[/url] (page states that Ames is the strain being used, but I still disagree with the reporting of it being "weapons grade.")

This site says that Iraq purchased anthrax in the hopes of using it as a bioweapon, but never did.

[url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_1604000/1604621.stm[/url]

PS: A CBW suit and mask won't protect you from biological agents, since they're too small for the filters to remove. Any NBC NCO or officer could tell you that. Keeping your immunizations up to date and practicing good personal hygiene are the best ways to keep from becoming a casualty (besides not being where the germs are.)

And do you REALLY think that Usama would care what some checkout-line rag says about him? He has this master plan to infect a large percentage of the US population with anthrax, but a headline in the Sun made him put that plan on hold and focus on a couple tabloids, Tom Brokaw, Tom Daschle, the DC post office, and Gov. Pataki instead.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I think OBL will use a lot more effective and attention-getting method when he acts next don't get too freaked out about the anthrax deal and forget to pay attn to something else.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#25]
A CBW suit and mask won't protect you from biological agents, since they're too small for the filters to remove.
View Quote

Someone should tell that to the testing & decom teams who suit up before responding to possible anthrax releases.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
~snip to save the scroll button~
View Quote

Actually weaponized anthrax is treated with several compounds. Both to make the spores more moisture resistant and keep the individual spores from binding to each other.  That’s why you get the greasy stain at the bottom of the envelope.It’s also a dead giveaway as to whodoneit (and yes a mass spectrometer takes about five minutes)

The government already knows who cooked the shit up. We will get a little more info every day ... Should I explane why?

Side note: The head of the Biowar lab in MD said that the process of ‘fermenting’ large amounts of the stuff, basically guaranteed enough genetic variation that the originating variant would be impossible to determine. Ames is available from labs all over the world so even if it is Ames, it still proves jack squat.

What IS the key issue here?? Even expert biochemists with all the funding in the world are not going to be able to pull biowar anthrax out of their ass. It takes time, money and expertise. All the evidence collected thus far points at a well motivated, well funded, concerted effort, that took years. That’s not something that a domestic group is going to be able to slip under the radar.

I’ll keep posting the info as I get it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
A CBW suit and mask won't protect you from biological agents, since they're too small for the filters to remove.
View Quote

Someone should tell that to the testing & decom teams who suit up before responding to possible anthrax releases.
View Quote

That’s total BS. Anthrax spores are 5 – 10 microns in size. It's a bacteria not a virus.
Standard industrial dust filters will catch anthrax.

Dude is just flappin his lips.

\*edit*\ Gotta stop posting when I'm smashed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 1:39:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Me at least three hrs ago [:)]:
Actually weaponized anthrax is treated with several compounds. Both to make the spores more moisture resistant and keep the individual spores from binding to each other.  That’s why you get the greasy stain at the bottom of the envelope.It’s also a dead giveaway as to whodoneit (and yes a mass spectrometer takes about five minutes)
View Quote

[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47864-2001Oct24.html[/url]

Page 1
Additive Made Spores Deadlier
3 Nations Known to Be Able to Make Sophisticated Coating

By Rick Weiss and Dan Eggen
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, October 25, 2001; Page A01

The anthrax spores that contaminated the air in Senate Majority Leader Thomas A. Daschle's office had been treated with a chemical additive so sophisticated that only three nations are thought to have been capable of making it, sources said yesterday

The United States, the former Soviet Union and Iraq are the only three nations known to have developed the kind of additives that enable anthrax spores to remain suspended in the air, making them more easily inhaled and therefore more deadly, experts said yesterday. Each nation used a different technique,
suggesting that ongoing microscopic and chemical analyses may reveal more about the spores' provenance than did their genetic analysis, which is largely complete but reportedly has done little to narrow the field.

A government official with direct knowledge of the investigation said yesterday that the totality of the evidence in hand suggests that it is unlikely that the spores were originally produced in the former Soviet Union or Iraq.

Even identifying the kind of coating may not solve the crucial question of who is perpetrating the terror, because little is known about how secure the stores of the three countries' stocks have been during the past few years.

Nonetheless, the conclusion that the spores were produced with military quality differs considerably from public comments made recently by officials close to the investigation, who have said the spores were not "weaponized" and were "garden variety." Those descriptions may be technically true, depending on how one defines those terms, several experts said. But they obscure the basic and more important truth that the spores were treated with a sophisticated process, meaning the original source was almost certainly a state-sponsored laboratory.

The finding strongly suggests that the anthrax spores in the U.S. mail attacks were not produced in a university or makeshift laboratory or simply gathered from natural sources. But it does not answer the question of whether a state-sponsored laboratory supplied the anthrax spores directly to terrorists or simply lost control of some stocks in recent years.

The presence of the high-grade additive was confirmed for the first time yesterday by a government source familiar with the ongoing studies, which are being conducted by scientists at the Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases at Fort Detrick in Frederick. Four other experts in anthrax weapons said they had no doubt that such an additive was present based on the high dispersal rate from the letter to Daschle (D-S.D.).
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 1:40:13 AM EDT
[#29]
page 2
"The evidence is patent on its face," said Alan Zelicoff, a senior scientist at Sandia National Laboratories' Center for National Security and Arms Control. "The amount of energy needed to disperse the spores [by merely opening an envelope] was trivial, which is virtually diagnostic of achieving the appropriate coating."

David Franz, formerly of USAMRIID and now at the Southern Research Institute in Birmingham, said, "In order for a formulation to do what the one in Daschle's office appears to have done -- be easily airborne -- it would require special treatment."

Genetic testing of the spores found in Daschle's office, at NBC offices in New York and in Florida found that the three samples were indistinguishable.

The ongoing USAMRIID studies on the spores used in the U.S. attacks involve examinations using conventional microscopes and scanning electron microscopes, along with complex chemical analyses that are difficult to conduct even when the bacteria in question are not dangerous. The analyses are far more difficult in this case, experts said, because anthrax spores must be studied in specially sealed laboratory enclosures to ensure that they do not escape.

Results of those tests have not been made public beyond a simple description of how small the spore particles were in the Daschle letter. That particle size, 1 1/2 to 3 microns in diameter, said Sen. Bill Frist (R-Tenn.), is extremely small -- a first requirement for making "weapons grade" anthrax spores for warfare or terrorism.

But more than that is needed to get anthrax spores to drift easily in the air and spread widely without settling quickly to the ground. That is because tiny particles tend to have electrostatic charges -- the static electricity that can cause hair to extend skyward when it is rubbed against a balloon. Those charges make the tiniest particles clump together into heavier ones, which then settle to the ground.

One of the primary goals of bioweapons engineers since the 1960s was to figure out how to treat those tiny particles in ways that would neutralize the problematic charges. Properly processed, the tiny particles will remain separated from one another and fly up and outward with virtually no effort. An imperceptible wisp of a breeze can send them across a room.

In the United States, that problem was solved by Bill Patrick, who developed the process at Fort Detrick as part of the U.S. biological weapons program that ended in 1969. The process is protected by at least five secret patents held by Patrick. It involved freeze drying and chemical processing and was achieved without having to grow vast quantities of spores or mill them to terribly small dimensions, Patrick and other experts said.

Spores were mass-produced at a Pine Bluff, Ark., facility, Patrick said. Production stocks were destroyed, but he said he did not know whether "seed stocks" from which new batches could be grown had also been destroyed. Under the terms of an international treaty banning biological weapons, to which the United States is a signatory, small amounts of biological weapons can be produced to conduct defensive research.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 1:43:26 AM EDT
[#30]
page 3
\\The Russian program, which has been described in detail by Ken Alibek, who ran it for many years before moving to the United States to do biological research, required the production of much larger quantities of spores that were more heavily milled than the U.S. spores and used a different kind of freezing and coating process.

The Iraqi technique, uncovered by U.N. inspectors, was a novel one-step process that involved drying spores in the presence of aluminum-based clays or silica powders, said Richard Spertzel, who was part of the U.N. Special Commission (UNSCOM) team that was to uncover and destroy Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program after the Gulf War. UNSCOM was ultimately frustrated in its attempt to account for all of Iraq's biological weapons.

"If [U.S. investigators] can get a clue as to how the material in the Daschle letter was prepared, that might narrow the field," Spertzel said. "It may not pinpoint it, but it may narrow it."

White House officials and some lawmakers have said they suspect a connection between the anthrax letters and the al Qaeda terrorist organization, whose leader, Osama bin Laden, has been blamed for the Sept. 11 terror attacks on New York and Washington.

President Bush suggested again yesterday that it is his working assumption that al Qaeda is involved. "I have no direct evidence, but there are some links" between Sept. 11 and the anthrax mailings, Bush said in a speech in Anne Arundel County. "Both series of actions are motivated by evil and hate. Both series of actions are meant to disrupt Americans' way of life. Both series of actions are an attack on our homeland. And both series of actions will not stand."

FBI investigators say they have no evidence connecting the anthrax cases with the bin Laden network, although they are operating under the presumption that there could be a link. The three letters recovered include references to Allah and vows of death to Israel and the United States, but many investigators suspect the language is purposeful misdirection.

Some within the administration and on Capitol Hill have also pointed a finger at Iraq, and some officials have expressed a desire to punish Iraq if it were found to have been involved.

Also yesterday, FBI Director Robert S. Mueller III said authorities continue to receive a high number of terrorist threats after the Sept. 11 assaults, and he warned that more attacks are a "distinct possibility."

"I must tell you that the threat level remains very high," Mueller said at a meeting of the U.S. Conference of Mayors in Washington. "More attempts and possible attacks are a distinct possibility. This possibility requires all of us to continue walking the fine line of staying alert on the one hand without causing undo alarm on the other hand.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 2:15:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Note the spore size of 1 ½ - 3 microns!!
Which is smaller than W.H.O. said was possible??

But still large enough to be caught by a garden-variety industrial HEPA filter.

What I’m wondering is.. HTF do you reduce the spore size without genetic engineering?
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 2:17:59 AM EDT
[#32]
quote from no_reflex

I' agree with No_Reflex , but FYI:

-Iraq is not the only nation know to have used anthrax--Russia was mass-producing it for years during the cold war; there is even confirmed cases of accidental releases of it in the '80's

--Iraq is one of tens of countries know to have ties with terrorist groups, as well as one of score of 'vengeance' and 'terror'.

I share many of your view on Iraq needs to be dealt with "the right way also", but not to think that there won't be some more operations closer to home with terrorist activities, i.e. Phillipines, would be a mistake.  There are alot of countries that harbor these pieces of shit, inadvertly or not.

"Keep prayin for the military troops, Lord knows we need every prayer we can get"
[USA]

Link Posted: 10/25/2001 4:28:42 AM EDT
[#33]
-Iraq is not the only nation know to have used anthrax--Russia was mass-producing it for years during the cold war; there is even confirmed cases of accidental releases of it in the '80's
View Quote

Production and use are two different things.  E.g., the Soviet Union produced thousands of nuclear warheads but never used any of them (except for testing).
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:26:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Who remembers the whack job in the UK saying he could tell all kinds of shit about the author of the anthrax letters?(With less than 15 lines of block text)

turns out he WAS on crack
[url]http://www.usatoday.com/life/2001-10-22-penmanship.htm[/url]

"People are coming out of the woodwork making completely ridiculous comments on TV," says Sheila Kurtz, a New York graphologist who does psychological profiles based on writing.

But she says she will only do so if she can look at substantial samples of writing. Photos of two envelopes in the anthrax cases are not sufficient to tell even if the writer tried to disguise his or her identity, she says.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2001 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Got this in e-mail today - sorry about the text but there wasn't a link in the message. In short it's about 3 biowar scientists who say the gov't claim of the anthrax strain being garden-variety is nonsense.

NYTimes

Contradicting Some U.S. Officials, 3 Scientists Call Anthrax Powder High-Grade

By WILLIAM J. BROAD

cientists in and out of government said yesterday that the anthrax strike on Capitol Hill involved an advanced, highly refined powder that is quite dangerous and not the primitive form of the germ that some federal officials have recently described.

Three top scientists - all with experience in germ weapons and knowledge of the federal investigation - said in interviews yesterday that the powder was high-grade and in theory capable of inflicting wide casualties.

And, two of the scientists said, the anthrax was altered from its natural state to reduce its electrostatic charge, a process that prevents small particles from sticking together and to nearby objects, thus making them more likely to become airborne.

The experts noted that turning anthrax into a weapon of mass destruction still required added steps, like making the powder in quantity and learning how to disseminate it effectively. One expert said that only the United States, the Soviet Union and Iraq were known to have developed the necessary technique. But the experts said some officials were playing down the powder's potency out of ignorance or an impulse to reassure a frightened public.

Federal officials and weapons experts have given varying descriptions of the powder in the 10 days since an aide to Senator Tom Daschle of South Dakota, the majority leader, opened a letter containing the anthrax.

Link Posted: 10/25/2001 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#36]
(cont)

Some federal officials have said the germs were an unrefined preparation of microbes, while others have warned that they were potent and easily turned into a cloud that could infect many people. Anthrax spores in the powder contaminated at least 28 people in Senate offices.

None of these people have become sick, but federal investigators said the Daschle letter may have leaked anthrax in transit from New Jersey and infected postal workers there and in Washington. Two Washington postal workers have died of anthrax.

William C. Patrick III, a microbiologist who designed germ weapons for the United States before President Richard M. Nixon renounced them in 1969, said he had learned details of the federal inquiry from a senior investigator. The Senate powder, Mr. Patrick said, was quite potent and capable of sailing far through the air to hurt many people.

He said the makers of the anthrax spores sent to Mr. Daschle's office had produced a dry powder that was remarkably free of extraneous material.

"It's high-grade," said Mr. Patrick, who consults widely on making germ defenses. "It's free flowing. It's electrostatic free. And it's in high concentration."

Experts on germ weaponry agree that the removal of electrostatic charges is a major step toward making an effective munition. The Soviet Union and United States developed sophisticated ways of diminishing this attraction and helping the particles float more freely, increasing their ease of dissemination and likelihood of inhalation.

Mr. Patrick said that whoever sent the Daschle letter had clearly achieved this step. "It's fluffy," he said, quoting experts who examined the powder. "It appears to have an additive that keeps the spores from clumping." Removing the charge, he added, is a black art, few details of which are known publicly.

Assertions by some federal officials that the material was not the type that would be used in weapons are "nonsense," he said. "The only difference between this and weapons grade is the size of the production. You can produce a very good grade of anthrax powder in the lab. The issue is whether those efforts can be expanded in scale, so you can make large quantities."

Richard Spertzel, a microbiologist and former head of biological inspection teams in Iraq for the United Nations, said he, too, had talked to federal investigators about the Senate powder.

"There's no question this is weapons quality," Dr. Spertzel said. "It has all the characteristics - fine particles and readily dispersible." Particles must be small to penetrate deep into human lungs, where they can start a lethal infection.

Al Zelicoff, a physician and expert on biological weapons at the Sandia National Laboratory in Albuquerque, who is developing a computerized system to allow epidemiologists to track suspicious disease outbreaks, said his conversations with federal investigators had alarmed him.

"These people know what they're doing," Dr. Zelicoff said of the anthrax terrorists. "I'm truly worried. They have the keys to the kingdom."

He cautioned, however, that the federal investigation was continuing and had produced results that were preliminary, with no firm conclusions.

"But if they have indeed perfected the aerosolization process," Dr. Zelicoff said of the terrorists, "it's strongly suggested they can do large-scale dissemination when they wish."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top