Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2001 8:04:40 AM EDT
flight officers.  I'm currently losing weight (46 lbs. down, 42 lbs. to go!) to try and get into the Border Patrol/USAF/USMC (considering all three right now).  I'd like to be an aviator in the USAF or USMC but my vision uncorrected is (L) 20/100 (R)20/150.  What are the vision requirements for a flight officer?  Any other requirements I should know about?

[b][red][i]Libertas an Mortis![/b][/red][/i]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:07:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Education?
Age?
Height?
Weight?

Your vision might DQ you as a pilot, but not as a backseater.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:21:56 AM EDT
[#2]
BS Industrial Technology
Graduate Certificate in CIS
Height: 75"
Weight: 267 (Was: 313, Goal: 200-225)

Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#3]
You can't be older than 29 when you get commisioned.
Don't let the recruiter see you, until the weight comes off.
They will test you to see if you qualify for a flight contract.
[url]http://www.marineofficer.com/index2.html[/url]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:26:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!

Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:26:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Anyone know about the USAF?

Link Posted: 10/22/2001 9:20:25 AM EDT
[#6]
This comes straight from the FAQ section of the Air Force web page:
What are the vision requirements to become an Air Force pilot?

The vision requirements are 20/50 for pilots and 20/200 for navigators. Vision for both must be correctable to 20/20. A very limited number of medical waivers with strict requirements are currently being offered for applicants who have a history of Photo Refractive Keratectomy (PRK). Applicants who have a history of either Radial Keratotomy or Laser In-Situ Keratomileusis (LASIK) are ineligible for aviation duty.

*Air Force does not endorse the PRK procedure. We recommend that you consider all risk prior to any medical procedure. Current medical policy is also subject to change. Applicants should contact their local recruiter for more information.

Link Posted: 10/22/2001 9:25:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Also, are you truly particular about WHAT you'd like to fly?  Because with your vision, you don't really have much of a chance piloting fighter planes.  However, piloting helicopters is another story... I know that in the Navy, anything under 20/200 is acceptable for helicopter pilots.

Anyhow, if you really want to fly, I'd consider laser surgery.  However, I'd also talk to a recruiter FIRST, as some particular types of laser surgery are disqualifying.  In addition, you'll also need a waiver even with the surgery.  Nevertheless, the bottom line?  Call up some recruiters and talk to them.  They'll answer your questions better than anyone on this board will.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 9:28:46 AM EDT
[#8]
...or be an Army WO and fly for them.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
...or be an Army WO and fly for them.
View Quote

Army? Yuk! [puke]

No, I've thought about the Army but just would rather serve in the USAF or USMC.

Link Posted: 10/22/2001 2:18:21 PM EDT
[#10]
mtnpatriot
If you want to fly as something other than a pilot, the AF or Navy are your best chances.  Most TBS class only have a couple of slots for NFOs, more than likely you will end up something other than a NFO.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top