Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2001 5:50:06 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 5:53:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:00:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:02:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, it is illegal in most states to point a firearm at any non-threatening person, in [i]all[/i] circumstances.  I don't agree with this case...the officer should have at least been in uniform, but that is the law.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:19:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I the guy was not in uniform the man was within the law,if he talk a buch of crap he is a d!ck head but still did not brake the law.

Sounds like we know way that "cop" was not a full timer.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:29:59 AM EDT
[#5]
If, upon identification of the police officer, the landowner lowered his weapon, there is absolutely no crime.  On the other hand, if the officer identifies himself both verbaly and in badge presentation, and the landowner still holds him at gunpoint, he is wrong, thus liability.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:31:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:37:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If, upon identification of the police officer, the landowner lowered his weapon, there is absolutely no crime.  On the other hand, if the officer identifies himself both verbaly and in badge presentation, and the landowner still holds him at gunpoint, he is wrong, thus liability.
View Quote

So if a person goes to take a look at their house under construction and some character points a gun at them it's ok?

Not much to that story. I'm not sure I know anything about what went on. Did the gunner think the other guy was stealing stuff? Why did he pull a gun? Usually to put someone at gunpoint you should be able to articulate a reasonable belief that the other person was using or was about to use deadly force against yourself or another person.

Link Posted: 10/21/2001 7:52:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Just another fine example of losing our GOD given right of self defense & our government pushing us to live in a police state. If I hear or someone prowling around my property at night I would definately be carrying a weapon of some type, only a fool would'nt!! Never give a potential threat an advantage.

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 9:01:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I think Mr. Buschmann should consider keeping his weapon holstered until there is an IDENTIFIED THREAT. Prowlers at a neighboring construction site don't necessarilly represent a threat to your personal safety.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 9:09:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes, it is illegal in most states to point a firearm at any non-threatening person, in [i]all[/i] circumstances.  I don't agree with this case...the officer should have at least been in uniform, but that is the law.
View Quote

It's even more strict here in MA. If a person sees you with a handgun in public, either in your hand or in an exposed holster, and they *feel threatened or afraid* and they complain, you have the potential for losing your guns and your license. For example, while driving, you remove the gun from its holster in the small of your back due to comfort reasons. Then, upon exiting the car you place it back in the holster and cover it with your shirt or coat. If someone see this action and feels threatened and reports you, you're screwed.

On the other hand, I've gone out to dinner up in VT carrying unconcealed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 9:21:40 AM EDT
[#11]
The guy was a [b]Reserve[/b] deputy checking for problems at the site.  Because the details are thin in the post, it could very well be that the reserve deputy was an employee of sorts of the construction company and doing part of his full time job.  Buschmann was not free to point a weapon at someone not on his property or not posing a threat to him or his property.  He made a very stupid mistake.  If he thought someone was tresspassing on the construction site, he should have called the the Police/SO with jurisdiction.  At the minimum, you don't go pointing guns at people without justification.  That he thought "he was free to do as he wanted because he was on his own property" is not any kind of real justification.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's even more strict here in MA. If a person sees you with a handgun in public, either in your hand or in an exposed holster,
View Quote

Don't forget to mention the Class "B" license, where the only way you can legally carry is open carry and not loaded. But if you open carry and a LEO wants to nail you they can find someone who "felt threatened" by your open display of a firearm. Love the PRoM! [}:(]

P.S. Let's have a MA AR15 range day! on the 28 of OCT there is a big bore service rifle shoot at my range $5 to enter more info here about 1/2 down the page: [url]www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Cabin/3864/current.html[/url]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I love NH never had a problem here at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top