Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2001 1:49:18 PM EDT
Does anyone sell replacement springs for Orlite 30 round AR-15 mags?
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 2:06:41 PM EDT
[#1]
You can use USGI springs and while you're at it you can switch to green followers, some modifications will be required.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I see Fulton armory carries replacement kit for $5.95. I'm checking with them about suitability and will post upon there reply.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/indexf.htm
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 2:23:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Reply from Fulton Armory:

Hi, Jim,

I rather doubt it.  The spring may work, the floorplate definitely not, and the follower is a "I can't believe it would fit."

Thanks for your very kind business!

Best regards,

Walt Kuleck
Fulton Armory Webmaster
http://www.fulton-armory.com -- Now! On-Line Ordering!!
*Everything* for the AR-15, M1 Garand, M14/M1A and M1 Carbine!
Author of "The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide"

Link Posted: 10/18/2001 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know if you want to order the kits or not, the f.plates are USGI style of course but they do have a re-sale value of a $1.50 each though.  The springs should work without problem though slightly longer.  The compression pressure seems stronger and with Orlite mags being prone to cracking I wouldn't keep the mags loaded extended periods of time.

As for using the green followers it will be a chore because you have to grind some on each side of the front lobes and do some minor work on the front until you have smooth function.  The green followers would be an add'l safeguard against bolt over failures but personally I would skip the hassle and use the original followers.  The green followers have a value of $1.25 each. so the springs would cost $3.20 each which is a good buy.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 5:36:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I am looking for springs because some of the lot of used Orlites I purchased did not hold the bolt open which I suspected was due to a worn out spring.  I just took apart an OKAY brand mag and an Orlite.  The spring appears identical.  Of course, the floor plate was different.  Interestingly, it appears just the 'ears' at the rear of the OKAY mag are just slightly too big.  I replaced the spring in the Orlite, and, sure enough, the bolt stays open now.  Probably should function fire to be 100% sure.  I'll purchase a dozen kits, doesn't hurt to have some spares anyway.  Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 5:50:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Good luck!  If you have other mag related questions throw 'em down in the 'Mag' discussion forum there's always plenty to read.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top