Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2001 12:21:23 PM EDT
I would like to keep my Mossberg 590A1 easily accessible, but out of sight in my F150 regular cab.  The obvious location is behind the seat.  Any suggestions as to a case or rack that works well for you?
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 12:51:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Those 'horse blanket' style seat covers generally have a rifle pouch located along the front of them under your legs.  Maybe that's not your style, though.

I carry my Scattergun behind my trucks' rear seat (it's a crewcab) and, I'm sure, the area behind that is close in size to the area behind your reg. cab seat.  I use an old soft gun case that I leave unzipped and oriented up so that all I have to do is lean the seat forward and there's my baby!!

If you're going to store a shotgun this way you should routinely remove it for a good cleaning even if it isn't fired often.  I usually fire mine most every weekend but have left it back there for extended periods without looking at it.  I keep a pretty clean truck but find that after a month or so the gun is covered in lint and other minor garbage.

Also, scenarios where you would deploy such a weapon for your or another persons' defense generally mean longer engaging distances.  Consequently, you should, and I do, only load slugs in such a gun.  Keep the buck in a sidesaddle or ready belt.  Slugs will do fine up close and excel at the longer (over 15 yards) ranges along with keeping collateral damage to a minimun as long as you hit your target.  

As with any defensive firearm, practice your ass off!!!  Have fun.

CB  
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Here in MA we have two options: either in a locked hard case, or, left at home (in a locked case). I'm gonna cry...
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Here in MA we have two options: either in a locked hard case, or, left at home (in a locked case). I'm gonna cry...
View Quote

I can't wait to graduate and get the hell out of MA and be in a state where I am allowed to preserve my own existance.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I keep my rifle or shotgun in a shelf above the windshield, you can get these at most any aftermarket truck supplier. You have to relocate the visors underneath the shelf, but from outside you cannot see the shelf or weapon. The weapon is held in place by a velcro strap that is easy to undo by hand, but stays in place when bumping along roads. I find that this makes the weapon very easy to get to if needed, and thats what counts the most.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 1:32:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't mean to 'steal' your topic away, but does anyone carry a 590 in a car?

I have a Volvo 240 ( sedan ), I was thinking of using the hole behind the rear passenger armrest ( where you're supposed to stick skis through or long objects etc ) to my advantage.. ie putting a shotgun within reach through there in the trunk.  I have to read through the state laws here but I think I have to have it locked in the trunk.. and this way it would be locked and in the trunk.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 1:45:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Ah, in MD you can have rifles and shotguns in the car anywhere just so long as it's unloaded,.. this opens up my possibilites.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 5:33:56 AM EDT
[#8]
CAT I had a similiar problem till I solved it . Went to Dick's Sporting goods and got a golf club carrier. About $30. Bianchi blue storage bag $10. Easy access to the 590A1. priceless
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#9]
maybe not what you are looking for but bass pro
has a rack that goes overhead in a full size truck.......holds a couple of guns..I dont have one but several freinds do..........
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 9:55:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Yep... check it ... just don't do it the way a cop did in Colorado once...
He checked it ... pressed the trigger... not only had a hard time hearing and a new skylight in the roof... but had to replace the lightbar also...
Ted...
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 10:58:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I wanna carry my Mossberg in my Toyota 4x4!
Split backrest ala. buckets (sorta).
TF
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I miss the days in Texas when I carried my shot gun and my rifle on a rack in the back window of my pickup. Never locked the truck up either left the windows down even at the beer joint. The joint I was a "member" of had turkey shoots on Sundays and we shot out on the patio for prizes. Took the kids too it was a family affair. God bless Texas those were the days! I carry my 590A1 with a folding butler creek stock behind the seat now. [rolleyes]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top