Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2001 5:57:55 PM EDT
I checked when this began and I am unable to join. Too old, previous surgery.
Of my local pals(lots of military) the ones who are joining up are retired or older (30's).
What of the young kids? Whos joining to help?
Goatboy, how goes your enlistment enquiries?
BP
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I checked when this began and I am unable to join. Too old, previous surgery.
Of my local pals(lots of military) the ones who are joining up are retired or older (30's).
What of the young kids? Whos joining to help?
Goatboy, how goes your enlistment enquiries?
BP
View Quote

End of the month.
35 y/o
knee surgery 3 months ago the 20th
back to the 82d

Airborne!
Don Out
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought about it, then the President said it'd be mostly SF type stuff. So, I'll probably enlist in May after I graduate. If things explode or it becomes likely they'll use ground troops, then I'll enlist after the end of this semester (December 18)

[Edited To Add]

19. Slightly Overweight. Very Good With Computers & Networks. 1 Semester From An A.S. Degree in Network Services Technology.

I wonder if I enlisted if they'd give me credit for my College Education.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#3]
41, 2 fused vertebrae, metal bits still in. Not even a citizen yet. NO opportunities to help.
BP
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I thought about it, then the President said it'd be mostly SF type stuff. So, I'll probably enlist in May after I graduate. If things explode or it becomes likely they'll use ground troops, then I'll enlist after the end of this semester (December 18)

[Edited To Add]

19. Slightly Overweight. Very Good With Computers & Networks. 1 Semester From An A.S. Degree in Network Services Technology.

I wonder if I enlisted if they'd give me credit for my College Education.
View Quote

Yes, complete the degree for bonus and rank.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#5]
36 Years old. Gov't came to my company
asking for volunteers to help abroad with
our equipment.

Don't know when, where or how long but
I'll be there when called upon.

Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I would but theres no way in hell i could get in because of med problems. ive got a minor case of cerebral paulsey (SP?) that affects the left side of my body and i walk with a bit of a limp that be a big no no in the military i belive. a few of my friends have joined one army one marines both think there going to get there first my brother inlaw is going to basic in 2 weeks i belive. hes going to try to go airborne I guess ill wait and see what happens
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
hes going to try to go airborne I guess ill wait and see what happens
View Quote

EEEXXXCELLENT!!! Smithers, get that man a parachute!

Seriously, send them letters, let them know you all care.

Airborne!
Don Out
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:21:03 PM EDT
[#10]
The best I can do right now is to join the Guard which is going to be done.

Will be 35 in Feb..............will join prior to that to get enlisment bonuses then off to boot!
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm 42, retired AF and basically retired from LEO work. I'm a former MTI at Lackland AFB in San Antonio, considering joining the reserve MTI unit there, the wife is from San Antonio and would get a kick on going back. Might just check into that in the near future. Lots of coyotes in San Antonio too, an added bonus.....AND A CLASS 3 STATE!.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Well I'm 34, and I'm sure the Corps would like me back, HOWEVER I get married on the 21st, and THAT is one 'Sgt Major' I am NOT messin' with...

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#13]
40, Air Force Reserve, Security Forces (Combat Arms), ACTIVATED for one year.  Proud to be involved.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm 34, been off active duty for 5 years, out of the IRR for 3, and my interview with the I&I staff at the infantry battalion in Fort Worth is tomorrow morning. They're hurting for Staff NCOs in the comm shop, so the prior service recruiter told me it'll be no problem.

And yes, my wife is pissed.

[img]http://semperfiheart1.homestead.com/files/sfbanner.gif[/img]
Jarhead out (but soon to be back in).
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#15]
To old to fly so to hell with it I'm going in to law enfocement.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 8:28:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

And yes, my wife is pissed.

[img]http://semperfiheart1.homestead.com/files/sfbanner.gif[/img]
View Quote

Mine too (though she will be glad for the extra paycheck- making money making knives is an oxymoronic concept)

Don Out (and soon to be back in)
[b]Airborne![/b]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 8:42:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I probably will next fall.  Talked to the Marines two weeks ago and have an apointment with the Navy tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:11:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Well Ive been trying to get into the Navy Nuclear Propulsion Officer program for 6mo. now.  I would already be accepted if it wasnt for my knees, both of which had arthroscopic(sp??) surgery ~10yrs ago.  Still waiting on that medical waiver and I'll be in.  Hopefully if all goes well, I'll be on a sub in 2yrs or so.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 8:11:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Rescued from page six--------------

Just got my  Army ROTC packet ready to send
out.

My cousin wants to join but he is flatfooted,
will that keep him from the military?

I think it is more of a excuse for him,but
I don't know.He has never talked to a recruiter.

I might ask the ROTC major next time I talk to
him,but until then can any of you answer my
question?

EDITED:Fore spellein,beecause ase a footure
ocifer eyes gots to bee da edjukatted soulder.
Meye edjucation and learnin poowers is whate
sits mee apart frome inlested mane. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
ase a footure
ocifer eyes gots to bee da edjukatted soulder.
Meye edjucation and learnin poowers is whate
sits mee apart frome inlested mane. [:D]
View Quote

not quite, I have met many officers and many nco's and there are some smart officers I wouldn't follow into the mess hall let alone battle. and I have met some very intelligent nco's in my time as well. to be completely honest when you are in a fox hole or what ever there is nothing that makes you better than the enlisted man. but if you really want to be a successful officer just think of your self as a really high ranking nco. what well score well in the long run is your knowledge of you job and you pure out and out ability to lead (ie. ability to inspire courage, loyalty, initiative, and confidence). rank is nice but it means nothing in a combat situation if your men have no faith in you.  much of this I am sure you already know but just thought I would give you the best help I can.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#22]
21, getting back into AFROTC after extensive Back Surgery  (IT sounds worse then it is and I'll be damned if I let  anyone stop me from serving becuase of it).

Wanna be a  pilot but will take any foward deployment field op (Probably gonna have to go into Secfor if I don't make pilot)
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm 34, been off active duty for 5 years, out of the IRR for 3, and my interview with the I&I staff at the infantry battalion in Fort Worth is tomorrow morning. They're hurting for Staff NCOs in the comm shop, so the prior service recruiter told me it'll be no problem.

View Quote

Good luck Devil Dog....
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Currently USN-R Corpsman with 2/25 Marines. Volunteered for recall to active duty in support of Enduring Freedom but, as of yet, I have not heard anything. If they call, I'm going.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#27]
They had their chance, but blew it! I tried to enlist in 1983, when I was 21 and in top physical condition (weights, swimming, hiking 6 days a week) but they wouldn't take me because of a bum knee (which later advanced to two bum knees). Now I'm too old and even more feeble. Hell, it was Navy for God's sake! :)
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 6:57:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I'll tell you what it can be a real bitch even getting into the military these days.
they make you sign so much stuff you feel like your buying a house. but I guess I can understand that, I wouldn't want to be stuck in a unit with some ass backwards retard who would end up getting us all k.i.a.

ps. you just signed away 8 year of your life, what are you going to do next. I'm going to disney world [:D].
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#29]
My son just left for boot camp a week ago. Went into the Navy for 5 years. Gave up a free ride in college to do a specific job that he has wanted to do for several years now. Had a 3.85 GPA. The Navy is getting a good man here.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 7:15:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
...my interview with the I&I staff at the infantry battalion in Fort Worth is tomorrow morning. [img]http://semperfiheart1.homestead.com/files/sfbanner.gif[/img]
View Quote

[size=6]Outstanding![/size=6]

Semper Fi
Dave
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Been there tried that.  

I was gung ho about going into the 82nd airborne.  Serve my country, jump out of airplanes, get to use awesome weapons, AND be a member of the same historic division that jumped into Italy, Normandy, and the Netherlands in WW2?  Hell yeah, thats what I wanted!  I worked my ass off finding out the PT requirements, enlisting advise, MOS's, contract lengths, running almost everyday (the hardest part!!), etc.  

By the time I talked to a recruiter and set up to go to meps our lease was up, and my unemployment checks had just ran out (I was laid off from my telecommunications job in july) and the only income we had was from my wife's part time job.  Took the ASVAB and got a 99 AFQT and 129 GT, more than enough for a combat MOS.  Then came the physical...  I passed everything easily - except the hearing test.  I slumped home and told my wife I was DQ'ed on the hearing test.  With our lease up and no other income we immediately applied for local jobs.  A few days later she was hired for a full time, relatively well paying job with the city - it also reimbursed her 100% of her tuitition for college classes.  

Shortly afterward my recruiter had me return to MEPS to retake the hearing test -  and I passed easily.  Turns out the civilian giving the test the first time failed to mention some important advise that the e-4 giving it the second time didn't.  (don't click the button unless you're absolutely sure you hear a tone, the first time I pressed it way too much and thats why I failed). I passed the hearing test and was cleared to join, but at that point it was too late as my wife had already started her job, and there was no way in hell she'd quit a job she liked, especially after I was the one who told her to apply for the job.  Truth be told, she was against me joining from the start but agreed because the job market was so terrible.  

It was very disappointing, but it turns out that not joining may have saved my marriage.  My recruiter described combat MOS life as mostly an 8-5 weekday type job (assuming no deployment) except for NTC every few months, but there was more than enough family time.  I asked him specifically about that - I was not about to make a vow to my country if I knew it would devastate the vow I already made to my wife.  Later I asked some current/former airborne about it on different websites and they assured me my recruiter had told me pure BS.  Getting home at 3am (if at all) from night excersizes, tons of field time away, NTC, etc. - that was the reality.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 9:16:41 PM EDT
[#33]
I'll go if they let guys in who've had lasik surgery on their eyes. does anybody know if this is a disqualification, or not?
[B)]
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 5:20:07 AM EDT
[#34]
like 'cudaBob' I'm retired, I retired from the Army in '93 and now a LEO...my cush job for the summer is Water Patrol/Rescue!!! 23' SeaArk...But I truly miss my days (years) on active duty...Good luck to all of you that are enlisting or going back in...my prayers and thoughts go with you...
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 5:48:32 AM EDT
[#35]
My son is in his second week of boot camp in San Diego right now. 3rd RTBN, India Co,Platoon 3090. He should finish August 30.
 RH
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 6:30:10 AM EDT
[#36]
I was an active duty Marine for 10 years.  The only reserve side Combat Arms unit in Phoenix is the National Guard artillery batallion and I enlisted into that unit a little while back.  We are short handed but they have a lot of prior service Marines and Regular Army NCOs, so it is a pretty squared away motivated bunch for a Guard outfit.  Plus our Regimental lineage is the Bushmasters!

PS, KevHog-  If a person forgot to mention that they had LASIK, ya know never mentioned to the recruiter, any screener, or any Docs at MEPS in Phoenix, no one would ever know.  As long as you can see well, aren't color blind they don't look to closely at the eyeballs.  If you do mention it, I believe it is no longer disqualifying, but they may make you get your medical records and jump through a whole series of hoops.

Just an opinion based on the personal experience of a small bird that had LASIK in Phoenix a year ago and recenly had to go through the Phoenix MEPS ordeal again.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 7:00:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Congrats on those that are/went in/ or tried to get in. Hit my 13 year mark and 17 year mark for pay last month. 7 to go.

SlipkNoT
if you are still interested in serveing try reserves or guard. Gives you a little fun little money and help pay for college. Cant say that you would not get deployed, but if you want to serve check it out. Wont hurt. Wait untill the month of Oct to join better jobs since the Military new year starts 1 Oct 2002. At this time of year not very many good jobs left. At least in the Army

KevhogAZ
Rabid_coyote said it well. If they dont know oh well. Something you might want to do is give the rucruiter a call and just ask if its a problem. They can wave just about anything. If you have 20/20 vision they most likley wont care.

P.S. and for you airborne guys. When you hit the ground you are still a LEG. MEC. INF all the way.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 7:51:48 AM EDT
[#38]
I swore in this past Wednesday 6/12/02 and I think it was the proudest day of my life. Cavarly Recon (MOS 19D)with the Army National Guard. I was really sweating the ASVAB that I took on Tuesday, but ended up with a 76 overall and 120's across the board in each category. I thought that was pretty fair after all. I spent the night with a large black fellow who didn't get his big dumb ass back to the hotel room until 10:30pm and a looming wake up call at 4:00 am. Pay back is a bitch when disturbed his beauty rest at 3:00am as I like to be the first ready in the morning.
MEPS on Wednesday was no problem. The dreaded Doctor Bend-Over was a breeze as was the eye and ear tests. The Doc's are around 100 years old and I don't think they even care if they did catch a flat foot on a recruit. Off to the Liason's office and got my one and only choice for MOS. 19 Delta starting with basic at FT. Knox KY in three weeks. No time like the present!. Work's cool about it and I'm physched to go! Hoo-Yah![marines]
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 7:59:34 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm going to a new Division and I sign thepapers Friday.

Going to 1st CivDiv, Average Working Stiff Platoon!!!

11 years and 2 bad knees is my payment from Uncle Sam's Misguided Children.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 8:24:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Left active duty this past November. Joined the Reserves. Volunteered for the effort two days ago as I've some friends in Afghanistan and a unit doing a rotation has slots open. Just waiting to hear from the Branch Manager.
Time away from my wife and son will suck, but I've trained over half my life for this sort of thing.

Flat feet probably won't disqualify you. I joined Reserves in '86 with flat fleet. When I went active duty in '92, the doc at MEPS said that he could disqualify me for my feet.
me: "Doc, if my Reserve unit activated tomorrow, wold these flat feet keep me from deploying?
Doc: "No."
Me: "If they wouldn't keep me from deploying with my unit, then why should they keep me from going active duty?"
Doc: "Good question, I guess you're good to go"
Sometimes you have to be a little persistant and confident

:-)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top