BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 8:04:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Goneshootin,

you're the reason my grandpa wanted to borrow one of my guns on y2k. if someone thinks they should kill strangers for stuff, they deserve to be removed from my world.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Locked, cocked, and ready to rock.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I've found that if I buy the 1 gallon water containers at the local grocery store, open them up, sluce off about an inch or two, recap and put in the bottom of my chest freezer they become a great way to store a backup water supply in a time of need and keep the freezer cold when the electricity goes down.
That makes 22 gallons that I can store long term.
7 days for me and mine.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:07:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Two swinning pools, closed and covered now, one indoor pool (the kids have been told not to pee in it...)
View Quote

Somewhere, I don't remember where, I read that you shouldn't drink the swimming pool water because over an extended time the chemicals in it will damage the kidneys.  I think it would be okay to use swimming pool water for like washing & bathing etc.  And save the good water for human consumption.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If, and I mean only if, I was in dire straights
I will start by killing and stealing from the elderly and handicapped ( survival of the fittest). Looting as much goods as possible. Old folks homes have plenty of food and little resistance.

View Quote

I on the other hand will be executing looters on sight.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Sheesh.... What can I say, I have a warped
sense of humor....
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:52:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sheesh.... What can I say, I have a warped
sense of humor....
View Quote

Well, a smiley might have helped....[:D]
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 10:01:19 PM EDT
[#8]
[>(] Your right! I'm Sorry [0:)]
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 10:18:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN STORING QUANTITIES OF GASOLINE - THIS STUFF IS REALLY DANGEROUS.
View Quote

You got that right! One big problem that people don't realize is that there is a small but still significant chance at static discharge when pouring from gas cans. IIRC during pre-Y2K one of the oil companies advised to prevent this from happening, place the can on the ground first, especially if it was riding around on or in a car, before pouring from it. If this isn't done there may be enough of a charge built up that when the nozzle of the can touches the metal gas tank opening there could be a big kaboom.

I have also seen another brand of fuel preservative at the local Wal-Mart but my personal opinion that stuff is not as good.
View Quote

The Walmart stuff is called Sta-bil.

It is also worth noting that there are 2 different stabilizers, 1 for regular gas, and the other for diesel.

I stored about 30 gal. of Exxon unstablized unleaded from dec. 1999 to about jun of 2000. It didn't seem to have a problem running in the car. But as always YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 1:32:08 AM EDT
[#10]
BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN STORING QUANTITIES OF GASOLINE - THIS STUFF IS REALLY DANGEROUS.
View Quote

Definitely!

It took a bit of research and planning before I even worked out a solution for storage.  And even then I don't store as much fuel as I want to, only what I can safely work with.

I did try the Sta-bil preservative back in '99 and 6 months later the gas seemed to run fine.  But most of the time, I just recycle the fuel out about every three months.  On the plus side, I've been able to buy gas when it's relatively cheap, and when the price spikes up, use my reserve.  In reality, I've probably only saved like $10-20 in fuel though.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:29:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Roby; you can get gas stabilizer from O'reillies or NAPA, etc.  I think it will allow stored gas to go a little further.

Benjamin
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top