Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
kimber supermatch. nothing equals it!
[:)]
View Quote

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!!!

Uggh.  If you want a QUALITY 1911, just avoid the Kimbers altogether.  A top-notch 1911 would be one made by Ed Brown, Les Baer, or the best by Larry Vickers (good luck getting one).  Les Baer would be a great choice for price to quality...and far exceeds anything Kimber clumps together.

Medium price range, probably a Rock River Arms 1911 which is usually same or less price than a Kimber crap, but much higher quality of craftsmanship (there is NO craftsmanship on a Kimber).

For "cheap" I would go with a Springfield.  Their "loaded" versions are nice and are equal to better than Kimber.

Why do I bash Kimber so?  Well, go to a gun shop and compare a Kimber and Les Baer or Ed Brown side by side.  There is NO COMPARISON in quality, fit, etc.  Also, if you notice you have never heard of any PD SWAT Organizations, Federal Agencies, or any military SpecOps selecting Kimber for ANYTHING.  It's because they are made with parts manufactured by the lowest bidder and assembled.

But their Marketing engine is good!  They give away a pistol to anyone who wants to write an article about them.  Hmmmm, what would I say about a free gun?

No offense to you Kimber owners and lovers.  Just go talk to your nearest member of the American Pistolsmiths Guild and ask THEIR opinion.  Ask Col. Jeff Cooper of Gunsite or Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch.  I don't expect you'll hear anything good...
View Quote

Kimber $700, Les Baer $1400 Go figure
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 4:10:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I know Kimbers are the best 1911's around, but I like the look of the Springfield better. It just looks closer to USGI.
[pistol]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#3]
    Thanks for all the opinions so far. It looks like I'm more than likely going with a Kimber(NOT the Polymer!) although I'm going to take a long hard look at the Dan Wesson models.  I would absolutely love to have a totally maxed out 1911 such as a Les Baer, but I do have minor details such as car payments, insurance, credit card bills and a very pretty girlfriend to take care of first, plus my job doesn't like to pay us well.

To make matters worse, actually come to think of it this isn't bad at all!, my girlfriend just offered to pay half of the price of my new 1911 as part of my X-mas present!!! Cool right? So now instead of a $850 budget, I can now realistically shoot up to the $1275 range!!!! She's the best...ho hum decisions, decisions. Now what should I do? I love stainless, most likely want a full size frame and 5" barrel, and night sights. Back to the Dan Wesson and Kimber Web Sites to look around some more. You think picking out a 1911 is hard? Wait till I have to order a custom holster! Keep the suggestions coming...[USA]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Kimber $700, Les Baer $1400 Go figure
View Quote

Hmmmm. Let's see.  I think if you SHOP you could get a Rock River Arms for about $700.  Or, you can get a good deal on a Springfield for about $550 and then pay $100 for a good trigger/action job from an American Pistolsmiths Guild member like Teddy Jacobsen.  That Springfield will shoot circles around that Kimber.

In fact, I read an article in Gun Tests (do not accept any advertising or donated guns so as to be completely impartial) that also said the Springfield from the factory was better than the Kimber.  And it was $200 less in list price.

Do yourself a favor...don't fall prey to Marketing hype.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wanted to jump in here and let you know of my impending Dan Wesson purchase.  I know Delmarksman made a statement about the proximity of DW to Waverunner, but Norwich would be a 5+ hr drive from long island.

I have now met Bob Serva, he shoots at my local range, he is a friendly guy and is going out of his way to make sure his customers are happy.  I have to admit Kimbers are wonderful, but for me I like the fact that DW is a company that is trying to carve a niche, because to do so, they go that extra mile to ensure customer satisfaction.

Dan Wesson revolvers are very well respected and there is no reason to think they won't continue that tradition with their 1911s.  They have already won the NYS IDPA championship and are slowly winning people over.  

I am new to 1911s, and I can't really say what is a "better" gun, but I think that the DW is as high quality as any of the big boys out there.  I will be picking up my pistol this week and will post a few pics as well as a report after I take it out.  

Feel free to e-mail me if you want specifics, but I have seen the DW plant and know the reputation that DW has here locally.

[url]www.danwessonfirearms.com[/url]
[url]www.tacticaldefense.org[/url]

CS
View Quote

Thank You...I really appreciate your input, I'm all in favor of giving my hard earned $$$ to local (well, OK NY area) busineses like Kimber and DW. The problem now is do I go with popular Kimber brand or the up-and-coming Dan Wesson? Quite frankly, I like the underdog...That Pointman Guardian Deuce is pretty sweet!
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank You...I really appreciate your input, I'm all in favor of giving my hard earned $$$ to local (well, OK NY area) busineses like Kimber and DW. The problem now is do I go with popular Kimber brand or the up-and-coming Dan Wesson? Quite frankly, I like the underdog.
View Quote

You need to pick up a copy of Combat Hanguns.
Great article by Mike Detty.
The model "7" lists at $950.
From the QC of my $425 Pistol I am very impressed.It is put together like a much more expensive unit.

I handled every 1911 I could find for months.
The DW really caught my eye.
I was really worried when I saw the price tag.
How the h*ll can someone produce so nice a firearm for that price, I thought.

And to have a [b]5[/b] year warranty on it for no more $$.

Then Mr. Serva and I exchanged mail and he went to great length to alleviate my concerns.
THE PRESIDENT of the company took time,
His valuable time to write me 2
two page letters to tell me about the details of the Pointman series.

Knowing full well that I was only looking at the "Entry Level" model.
He could have just as easily directed me to his website. But no that wasn't good enough.

Shawn Nealon is the only other person whom I know that actually [b]works[/b] for his customers money.

Don't expect that kind of treatment by the Big companies like Kimber and SA.

Mr. Servas email is [email protected]
I am certain he will be happy to speak with you,
just as he has with me and Counterstrike.

Give him a chance

Stay safe out there wave,
Del

edited for typo
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#7]
My husband has a Kimber and like others have said it was great right out of the box.  He also has a couple of Norinco's.  One of which he fine tuned. He made the mistake of letting me shoot it because it then became my gun.  I love it.  It's my favorite gun to shoot. It's too bad the Klinton administration stopped the importation of Norinco 1911A1's.

Link Posted: 10/8/2001 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Colt Gov't Model... I have a series 80..{shrug}

Shot great out of the box.. Guys with tuned .45s asked me who did the work after they ran some rounds through it... I always did love the look on their faces when I told them it was box stock. (In honesty I did put in a flat back strap, Wilson trigger and Houge wrap around grips.)
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll put in another vote for Springfield's loaded fullsize 1911A1. I've got one in SS and I love it.

Pistol---about $650.00

Wilson Combat front strap checkering insert from Brownells--- $8.50

Wilson Combat SS flared magwell---$30.00

Wilson combat SS 8rnd mags---$25.00

Wilson SS Arched, checkered mainspring housing--$30.00

Break it in, clean it, and you'll have one damn fine combat pistol for far less than you'd have spent for the same features on a Kimber or Baer.

just my .02

Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 10:33:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Kimber Custom Classic

-Troy
View Quote

Except here in Cali where they ask 700 bucks for that pistol.  Ugh.

Wave- Check out the Custom Eclipse, I think it has everything you want with 5" barrel and adjustable night sites.  I think it will be my next purchase if I don't get an M1A.  Should run you 1000-1100 bucks.

Del- any idea if they are going to market in Cilifornia.  They aren't on the list yet.  I would give these serious consideration if they were available.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Les Baer and Wilson make Excellent 1911's
Heine and Clark do a great job on customizing 1911's
For Factory Guns: Springfield Armory
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 11:28:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I went and bought a Colt M1991A1 Stainless, and I am pleased with what I got for my $400.  I also like that I don't have to worry about exotic fit and finish for parts...  

A little Dremel polishing work solved the stock trigger (like glass at 3#.)  I am pleased with the box-stock accuracy for practical purposes - I hit what I aim at and don't shoot competition (my emphasis is on stress shooting.)

The M1991A1 is also a very safe pistol, being a Series 80 with the extra internal "trigger-lever" safety.  

Delmarksman - could you post/send details of those letters from DW?  I have fired a couple of their revolvers, and I would like to know a bit more about their new (to me) 1911 clones...

FFZ
[email protected]
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#14]
After much soul searching I finally decided to go against the Kimber-grain and purchase a Dan Wesson Firearms [b]Pointman Guardian Duce[/b] for my very first 1911. It has a 4.25" barrel, Stainless Frame & Blue Slide, fixed sights and a whole mess of other goodies. It's also being custom laser engraved on the slide [b][red]"WTC 09/11/01, All Gave Some, Some Gave All"[/b][/red] in honor of the many brothers and sisters in the NYFD, NYPD and Port Authority PD that perished in the line of duty that day.

Bill Jefferey, the Marketing and Customer Service Director for Dan Wesson Firearms, actually gave me a call when I inquired about their line of 1911's via e-mail.  Let's just say we talked for a looooooooong time and answered every question I could possibly come up with. Now it's just a waiting game, as my firearm is now being created. If you are considering a Dan Wesson Firearms 1911 please give Bill Jefferey a call at(607)336-1174, he'll take care of you...
[USA]
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Jeez for Kimbers being such junk according to some people here there sure are a lot of 1911 shooters putting a lot of miles on Kimbers with no problems what so ever.  Including me.  Mine doesn't rattle, the safety engages just fine, and the sights have yet to fall off.  I guess me and a few hundred thousand other shooters are just lucky . . .
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Waverunner:

Congrats on your first 1911 style firearm.  Perhaps you can post a pic of the Duce with laser engraving when you get it?

Enjoy!

Link Posted: 10/9/2001 11:06:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Jeez for Kimbers being such junk according to some people here there sure are a lot of 1911 shooters putting a lot of miles on Kimbers with no problems what so ever.  Including me.  Mine doesn't rattle, the safety engages just fine, and the sights have yet to fall off.  I guess me and a few hundred thousand other shooters are just lucky . . .
View Quote

I personally [b]never[/b] said Kimber's were crap and had the most insane time deciding between Kimber and Dan Wesson Firearms. It was a toss up. Actually I intend to get a Kimber down the road...and a LesBaer, Rock River Arms and several others sooner or later.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 11:07:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Congrats on your first 1911 style firearm.  Perhaps you can post a pic of the Duce with laser engraving when you get it?
View Quote

Thank You...I intend to post pics for all to see.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 11:34:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Actually I intend to get a Kimber down the road...and a LesBaer, Rock River Arms and several others sooner or later.
View Quote

Yeah, once you have one, you just want more.  I can't think of any other autoloader that I want now. I have a Para P12 and a Kimber Pro Carry SLE which is just an awesome gun, now I need a full size to round it out.  I like the Glock and SIG, but there is nothing that compares to that single action trigger of the 1911.

Congrats on the Dan Wesson, I would love to check em out but alas I don't think they will be offered here in California, or at least any time soon.  Can't wait to see the pics.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 11:48:34 PM EDT
[#20]
way back about a year ago when i started thinking about getting a 1911, i was looking hard at the kimber.
didnt like the springfields being that they are made in Brazil.
with the les baer and wilson you pay about $1000 just for them to stamp there name on the gun.

then i found out you could build a better gun than a kimber for about the same price.
so i bought one of the last caspian 1911 frames in kalif, colt series 80 slide and HANDPICKED all the other parts, took it to a smith and he slapped it together, slicked it up and it shoots GREAT. and did it for less than a comparable kimber or SA.
looking back im glad i didnt get a kimber, i dont even like the finish they use on the CDP models (looks cheap), and those front serrations are put on purely for the coolness factor.

my next 1911 will be a colt 1991 (hopefully a commander) and with little tuning and handpicked parts it should shoot as good or better than a kimber for around the same price.

if it wasnt a colt, it would be a rock river arms (if they were kalif legal)
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 1:16:35 AM EDT
[#21]
I was just going to pop on here to put in a vote for the Kimber Custom Classic. I got one for a good price at our local gun show a while back. I see you may have a bit more money to spend, but all I know is my Kimber and I think it's great. I got the .22 conversion for it and with the right ammo, it cycles just fine. Fun to shoot, too!
WSmac
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#22]
On a side note I also ordered an awesome concealment holster and magazine carrier from FIST, Inc for my new 1911, in black leather of course...

They also made my pancake-style holster, magazine carrier, and double thick gunbelt for my Glock 26.

Their quality is top-notch and they have lots of options available for a truly custom job. Check them out.

[url]http://www.fist-inc.com/[/url]

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top