Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2001 8:15:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Just donated to the office fund raising effort.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 8:39:45 AM EDT
[#2]
My step-grandfather died of cancer, and I lost a very dear friend to ovarian cancer.  She was only 28.  It's a horrible disease, but they'e had some luck with successfully fighting cancerous tumors by shutting off their blood supply.  Most of the trials fail in human tests, but it looks like this latest one I read about might do the trick.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 8:58:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a niece currently fighting with a sarcoma.  Chemo slows it down, but the pre-cancer cells are too strong.  They are now considering stem-cell which had some promising results.

[b]Support stem cell research.[/b]
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 9:04:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey, Hiram. Congrats to Shelby, she sounds like a true warrior! I, too, have personal experience with this disease, and can not emphasize enough the importance of a positive attitude and a never-ending supply of faith and hope. Of course, some prayer can NEVER hurt. It kind of helps you to realize that every day on earth is a gift, not to be squandered or taken for granted (which I'm sure we're all guilty of at one time or another). Best of luck, bud.

P.S.  I'm still working on obtaining that info you requested at the gun shop this past weekend. Take care.

Cloak-
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 9:07:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#6]
No pun intended on the "Trooper" comment I assume. And yeah, I'll be at the show. Keep an eye out for me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I appreciate the cause for breast cancer awareness, but here's my opinion.

Ever here of testicular cancer awareness week? Colon cancer awareness week? Neither have I.

Equal time should be devoted to many different types of cancer. Breast cancer is a very important disease to address, but no more so than many others.

How about equal time for cancers that afflict men too? And yes, I have had both genders afflicted with different types of cancer in my family.

The fight against cancer is a vital cause, I'd just like to see resources equally divided among different cancers. Allocating funding to the types that effect the most people, regardless of gender.

Link Posted: 10/4/2001 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I appreciate the cause for breast cancer awareness, but here's my opinion.

Ever here of testicular cancer awareness week? Colon cancer awareness week? Neither have I.

Equal time should be devoted to many different types of cancer. Breast cancer is a very important disease to address, but no more so than many others.

How about equal time for cancers that afflict men too? And yes, I have had both genders afflicted with different types of cancer in my family.

The fight against cancer is a vital cause, I'd just like to see resources equally divided among different cancers. Allocating funding to the types that effect the most people, regardless of gender.

View Quote

I agree 100%.  Prostate cancer (a male cancer) is one of the biggest killers of all the cancers.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 10:24:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe lung cancer and heart attacks also kill more than breast cancer.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 10:35:32 AM EDT
[#10]
One year ago today, my wife had her LAST radiation treatment (which was preceeded by four months of chemotherapy) to beat lymphoma (Hodgkins) At least, she has been cancer free for one year. She is 34 years old.

Let me offer up praise to God for His mercy, which my wife and I BOTH beleive He did NOT owe us. Praise God, from whom ALL blessings flow.

Link Posted: 10/4/2001 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#11]
My daughter brought up a good point, we men get breast cancer also, just that is not so highly publicized.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 10:40:06 AM EDT
[#12]
...Plus...It's a wonderful excuse to go and feel your wife up!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 10:40:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My daughter brought up a good point, we men get breast cancer also, just that is not so highly publicized.
View Quote

Good point. My wife used to be a full-time mamographer and she said doctors are recommending guys getting checked for breast cancer now after a certain age.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
...Plus...It's a wonderful excuse to go and feel your wife up!!!
View Quote

It seems a local radio personality made a similar offer, on-air,  for "free breast exams" a year or 2 back during BCAW. The program director was not amused, nor were many listeners, judging from the crow the DJ had to eat to keep his job.

Link Posted: 10/4/2001 11:00:48 AM EDT
[#15]
First off, I'm thrilled that your fiancee is looking good, HiramRanger. Luckily, I can't imagine what it must be like to have something like that hanging over the head of someone that close to you.

I'm a cancer survivor.

When I was 15, I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Disease, cancer of the lymphatic system. I got a bunch of really fun tests: upper and lower GIs, lymphangiogram, CAT scans, staging, etc. They took out a few glands from my neck, then I got radiation treatment for 4 months. As much as radiation treatment sucked, I prayed to God thanking Him that I didn't have to get chemo. On the oncology ward where I went for my treatments, I saw the folks who were taking that poison...poison that kills the cancer cells just a touch faster than it kills the patient.

I've heard a lot lately about breast cancer funds, breast cancer awareness, pink ribbons on newscasters and celebrities. There are a lot of different kinds of cancer out there. Hey, I had never heard of the lymphatic system when I was 15, let alone knew you could get cancer in it. Why is it that breast cancer gets all this attention, and so few others are ever mentioned until you get the bad news from the doctor? Is it that it's primarily a disease that affects women rather than men, and therefore some kind of "special" cause, more easily and nobly espoused than any old cancer that kills irrespective of gender?

God forbid a cancer develops that affects only gay, left-handed, right-eye-dominant Sudanese tap dancers. No other medical condition will be able to get a dime or a minute's airtime.

Again, so the real gist of this thread isn't lost, I'm very glad your fiancee is all clean HiramRanger. Give her our best.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

I understand what you are getting at, but there is a difference.  Among the other aims of this "awareness", the need for self exams is spotlighted.  The only similar one for men is testicular cancer, and that is MUCH less common.

Link Posted: 10/4/2001 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top