Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2001 7:36:17 AM EDT
A while back, I purchased a 13MM Gyrojet Rocket Pistol. I REALLY liked the concept, so I have been undertaking designing a new one.
So far, I have the design on paper for the new Rocket Weapon all worked out- from the asthetics to the mechanics, as well as the physics of the rockets. I will soon be filing for 12 patents for the mechanical elements this one weapon alone. It will completley improve on the original Gyrojets deficencys, and hopefully be in limited production within 2 years. It will be an entirely polymer and alloy bullpup, that will take either 1911 or greasegun mags with the newly designed smaller, faster rocket. It is meant to be a very fast firing and handling weapon for under 100 yards, with the approximate energy of a .45 ACP
It will weigh roughly 3 pounds unloaded. Manufacture will be realitivley inexpensive, since there is no chamber pressure generated with the Gyro concept to compensate for using heavy steels/alloys and presice CNC machining like traditionial cartridge firearms (even though it has the downrange energy of a .45 ACP, virtually no recoil and very limited noise)

The original Gyro rockets are very very very expensive, and being quite old, somewhat unreliable. Not to mention they had many problems with the original design. So, I have designed a new rocket compatiable with this new system. My reasons for doing so are 4 fold.

1) If I were to make it simply a clone of the 12MM Gyro's, it may fall under any future .50 cal legislation, and I don't want that-

2) I want there to be inexpensive pre-ban mags available (The original Gyro wasn't mag-fed- The new Gyro will be)

3) The New Gyro will accets a modified form of rifling, in order to facillitate stabalazation at the muzzle. The old rockets were meant for smooth-bores, thus very easily thrown off by wind early in the burn phase)

So, I need to ask y'all a few questions.

1) Even though I will make a few anyway for myself, would there be any interest in such a weapon for commercial sale? (The carbines themselves won't be all too expensive- The Rockets will be expensive)

2) I want to mold a dot-sight directly into the carry handle sort of like the intergral optics concept of the Steyr/Aug. This will increase the price, should I sell them.
Should I make provisions for intergral optics, or should I make provisions for a Weaver mount, so the user can mount his own optics?

3) Would there be any interest in a Pistol in the same chambering?

So far, I've worked up a non-functioning scale model, as well as fully functioning lockwork, and other items for the system, so this hopefully will come to tangiable fruition soon.
I realize that few of you are likely familliar with the original Gyro concept, but hopefully some of you are, and can give an opinion.

(BTW- I really can't get directly into any of the design elements, since I don't have the patents. Sorry. I will very soon though)
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 7:42:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll take two please.

Also, design the rockets so I can reload them with my Dillon.  Or maybe some "homebrew" rocket fuel than can be mixed up, and then baked in the oven or microwave.

Mmmmmmmmmm fresh baked rocketjets.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 7:43:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't mind having one either.. I remember reading all of the old GyroJet posts, they seemed very interesting..

Ian
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Oy, with the gyro jet already?

Could you stop posting informative, articulate stuff and just get on with offending people please?

Your public awaits.

Sherm

P.S. I'd buy one. People can be VERY picky with the choice of glass. I like the weaver rail idea. Then I can put whatever I want on it, it would keep the price down via no need to purchase a scope that doesn't appeal to all on your part.

Link Posted: 10/4/2001 7:48:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, reloadable rockets are possible, but it will take special gear.

The port plate in the rear requires an odd crimp- Imagine like the reverse of opening a soup can. I could provide plates, and use conventionial pistol primers-

The only problem is fuel.
It will probably be a propriatery mixture, and I need permits before I can even go into commerical sale.
Homebrew fuels probably won't work becasue I have to accellerate the primary burn phase of teh rocket in order for it to be able to negotiate my system of rifling.
The rocket bodies themsleves hopefully will be like a giant 6.5X55 Swede spitzer, with the fuel payload seated more "legnthwise", with a cache of fuel at the rear to facillitate the initial "push".
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 7:48:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Oy, with the gyro jet already?

Could you stop posting informative, articulate stuff and just get on with offending people please?

Your public awaits.

Sherm
View Quote

Now that, sir, is funny.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 7:55:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The rocket bodies themsleves hopefully will be like a [b]giant[/b] 6.5X55 [b]Swede[/b] spitzer, with the fuel payload seated more "legnthwise", with a cache of fuel at the rear to facillitate the initial "push".
View Quote

Did thomebody thay Giant Thwede? Faaaabulous! Put me down for 3! And I'm no spitzer!
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 8:03:07 AM EDT
[#7]
McUzi?
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 8:03:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll take mine in the 40 watt range.   [:P]
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I would have integral sights and the weaver rail. I personally would not want the "iron" sights, but it would be more versatile with them. Or maybe you could mfg a set of sights that could mount to the weaver. Or just use an OKO from Cavalry Arms and have both!
Good to see you back.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 8:09:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I would be interested.  Submitted to ATF yet?
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 8:13:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would be interested.  Submitted to ATF yet?
View Quote

Still waiting on a functionial prototype.
I have 2 rockets made, and the lockwork.
I just need to get the body made.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 8:39:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Instead of rifling
Why not have mini spring loaded 'fins' on the bullet that open up when the round leaves the barrel?
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 8:40:19 AM EDT
[#14]

The port plate in the rear requires an odd crimp- Imagine like the reverse of opening a soup can. I could provide plates, and use conventionial pistol primers-
View Quote

Instead of a crimp, maybe a 90deg interlock.  Then the rocket, after a firing, should be damaged or dinged.  Might need a press to restore shape.

How about a grove/fin system on the rocket that mates to the barrel.  This would give stability without the additional friction associated with a rifled barrel.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 8:40:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Put me down for one.

Need any financing?
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#17]
How are you going to make the rounds feed?  Use the gas in the barrel?  I didn't think the rockets would build up a lot of pressure inside the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Instead of rifling
Why not have mini spring loaded 'fins' on the bullet that open up when the round leaves the barrel?
View Quote

The Gyro's orig. inventers, R. Mainhardt and A. Biehl, tinkered with this.
Really, it can be done. Matter of fact, my original design incoorperated small fins and used kinda like a "screw driven" form of rifling- but the cost to manufacture the special barrel would require a lot of specalized tooling.

Spring loaded fins would require me to cut down on the payload capacity in order to host the fins internally, so I can't do it. I want the weapon to be viable out to 200 yards, and it needs a lot of burn to do it.
Keep in mind, it's a big step.
The orig. Gyro's were only viable to 25 yards (Reports of 10" groups at 10 yards I guess are true, but mine shot a hell of a lot better)- With my improved burn rates, improved port system, and rifling, I think it could go to 200 with optics is the "on paper" physics translate into practical mechanics.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 9:25:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How are you going to make the rounds feed?  Use the gas in the barrel?  I didn't think the rockets would build up a lot of pressure inside the barrel.
View Quote

The original system was "mag fed", but teh mag wasn't detachable. The system didn't allow for it.
Mine does. It uses a specially designed mag that utilizes the rearward gas pressure from the round to strip clear of the feed lips.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#20]
No integrated dot sight.  Like someone else said, people are very picky.  I think a modular/scalable system that leaves as many options as possible to the user would be a big selling point.  Then again, it's not like you really have any competition.

Good Luck!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#21]
If you are looking to stabilize the projectile with minimal cost, there are two approaches I can think of:

1.  Reduce the rojectile diameter slightly to accommodate fized fins and attach a sabot to the body of the rocket.

2.  Rifle a portion of the barrel to induce spin (no fins).
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Great idea!  I always wanted a Gyrojet but could never afford one. I love one if the price is right.  

What is the energy close to the muzzle?  (Do I have to back off 100 feet to shoot something and have a decent hit?)

Go with the Weaver Rail. Even if you could get everyone to agree on which red-dot was the best today (yeah, right), in 5 years there will be another best sight.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#23]
What kind of close up performance will it have?
I understand the original could be stopped with a hand at the muzzle. A pistol that cant kill up close is no good. BP
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 2:43:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Before you venture too far into this, you had better get yourself licensed with the ATF as a Class-II manufacturer!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top