Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2001 11:25:10 AM EDT
Sold the Pathfinder for a new car for the wife. Now I need something for on/off road. Want to sell the Maxima for a truck. Seems you get more for the money with the Dakota, but the Tacoma has the reliability crown. What would you get?
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I'd go with the Ford.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 11:31:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Had a Ford. Never again.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Get a .45ACP.  you need all the......OH

Both are nice.  I would probably land on the Dakota.  American made, tougher off-road, bigger engines.  Dakotas or T100 would be a tougher one. Tacomas at best are beefed up city-trucks.

2 bits

Zaz
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy AMERICAN Goddamit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 95 tacoma,4x4 31" tires and there isn't anywhere I can't go.  Do a lot of off roading in W.V, and usually drive out to Idaho and Montana evey year.  I bought mine used in '97 and paid 12,500 with 22k on it.  V6, plenty of power.  I bought toyota because 4 friends have them and they all have over 150k on them (2 over 200k).  Beware, gas mileage sucks!  I Ave about 17/19 mpg.  If I were you, try to find the best price on one used that has under 20k on it.  You but one new, abuse it, and 10k later you'll loose about 5k on the resale value easy.  2nd choice would be a ford 250 (I hate the way the 150 looks)
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 5:25:55 PM EDT
[#7]
The Tacoma will be better off-road. Resale will be better. Overall fit and finish will be better.

The Dakota will be a little bigger. A little more powerful. Will be able to tow more.

My decision? Probably the Tacoma.

I have an '87 Nissan hardbody p/u and it can literally go anywhere. Nothing touches a Jap 4x4 for off-road.

For work, there's nothing quite like a Ford F-350.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Folks, this is a classic case of what is commonly referred to as "pain fade". After you've owned a reliable vehicle for a few years, you tend to forget just how crappy some of the other brands really are. It's one the main reasons that Detroit is still in business.

weemer, if you haven't owned anything but Nissans recently, man, are you in for a letdown if you go with the Dodge! Granted, it'll cost considerably less up front, but that's the only significant advantage it has.

Let's see...Lexus-derived V8 (has been on Wards Auto Week's "10 Best Engines" list since year one) versus a torqueless small V8 or a Mexican-built large V8 left over from the early 70's...

Bilstein shocks versus no-name supplied-by-the-lowest-bidder shocks...

Has Dodge even made the switch to stainless steel exhaust systems yet?

Bulletproof reliabilty versus barely-average dependability (and that's on a good build date!).

IIRC, the Tundra is also built in America, mostly with American-supplied parts.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 8:03:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Tacoma: USA built, stay away from the 4 cyl, kinda lame. The 3400 V-6 is the better choice.
Remember this is a truck, 17 mpg is about average. If you decide to drop a "chunk" of change, you can get a TRD supercharger kit (bolts right on, DRAWBACK: almost $3000). Exhaust availabe from TRD, shocks, and some other misc.

The Lexus V-8, as used in the TUNDRA, has an iron block instead of the aluminum block as used in the LS-400 Lexus. No super avail yet, they're afraid of warranty claims for rear differentials/axle claims.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd avoid that JAP CRAP if I were you. The Japaneese have yet to make a decent car. I was driving down the street the other day when I saw a Japaneese vehicle that had been hit the same way with less force than my American Truck was hit with a few years ago. I walked away when I got hit. The FD was using the Jaws Of Life To Extracate the guy from the Japaneese Car.

I have bought all American and have walked away from 2 Accidents. One of those hitting a light pole at 50 MPH. I walked away, though in pain. I hate to think what would have happened if I had one of those crappy JAP vehicles. A textbook in the passanger seat was thrown into the dash and this hardback College Calculus Book (Several Hundred Pages) was literally bent in half.

BTW, my Chevy S-10 gets 24 MPG on the Highway and 18 MPG in the City with a 5-Speed Manual Transmission.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd have to go with American Made.  Toyota Tacoma.

Toyotas are more reliable, and in my opinion the fit and finish is better.  They are excellent for offroad.

I've never been impressed with Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth quality.  The warranty runs out, and the car falls appart, especially with recent ones.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Puh-leeze.

The Tacoma is at LEAST as American made as the ford, if not more.

Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#13]
pre double post...
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#14]
TACOMA!!!!!!
Don't by a Dodge!!!

Better resale value. Will last For-EVER, unlike repairs within 3years with the Dodge!

You may have to replace the shocks with stiffer ones (they, like other trucks these days, are made more for the road)
You can drive 100MPH without even knowing it on the highway, TRUST ME, they are SMOOTH!!!!

I have a 4cyl automatic (I HAD to get it for in-city work every day) and even in the 4cyl its Premo!!! I can still spin the tires!
Don't forget to get the extended cab!!!!

AND if you have the extra $480 get the Rhino lining!!!!

BISHOP
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:09:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Tacoma's are better trucks.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:19:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'd avoid that JAP CRAP if I were you. The Japaneese have yet to make a decent car. I was driving down the street the other day when I saw a Japaneese vehicle that had been hit the same way with less force than my American Truck was hit with a few years ago. I walked away when I got hit. The FD was using the Jaws Of Life To Extracate the guy from the Japaneese Car.

I have bought all American and have walked away from 2 Accidents. One of those hitting a light pole at 50 MPH. I walked away, though in pain. I hate to think what would have happened if I had one of those crappy JAP vehicles. A textbook in the passanger seat was thrown into the dash and this hardback College Calculus Book (Several Hundred Pages) was literally bent in half.
View Quote

Sorry, but I just can't help but jump on this clown.
HEY BUDDY, ever heard of the Pinto???
By looks of the post, ya might of been born & raised in one.
SHeeesh!

WEEMER, IMO, it's a no-brainer---go with Toyota. Hardly such thing as a "Jap"-made  vehicle anymore, but there is such a thing as an "American"-made MEXICAN Ford or Dodge, etc. etc.
So much for that.

I've been driving, commuting, and working with Toyota trucks for 11 years now. The damned things do what they're supposed to do: run and NOT let you down. No thay're not built like tanks nor are they hotrodders--but they do best what trucks are designed to do.
The 1-ton dually with a V6 I log 300 miles everyday on won't let me down--it can't b/c  I'll be out of work. And it gets 20 mpg. The Toyota V6 is a very efficient, hard-working engine and burns no oil(even at 164K).

It's up to you.

If I were to dare buy an "American" nameplate, it would be Chevrolet.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Fuck the Germans
Get a Toyota
cpermd
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought a 99 tacoma v6 TRD.  Seat isn't all that great to me, but two guys at work have 2000's and they like the seats.  Mine does a quirky thing on downhills, but may just be my driving style.  Only mechanical problem was the clutch pedal bushing went out.  Dealer put in all new parts.  I get a little over 20 mpg.  I'd buy another one...or a tundra.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nothing touches a Jap 4x4 for off-road.
View Quote

ROTFLMAO!

Get the Dodge with the 360 engine.  Think of it as a "Preban Truck".  Soon the National Department of the Sierra Club will limit displacement to 3.0 liters, and place a mpg requirement of 27 on all non-commercial vehicles.

Nothing beats the 360 for smoothness, power, reliability, and acoustics!  Well, maybe a 440 would be better!  [:D]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:47:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:42:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't know, after 387,000 mi on my toyota truck without anything besides a timing chain.... and it was built in PRK
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 6:20:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Get the Dodge.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 12:14:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Sorry, but I just can't help but jump on this clown.
HEY BUDDY, ever heard of the Pinto???
By looks of the post, ya might of been born & raised in one.
SHeeesh!
View Quote

M4C, Is that supposed to be an insult ? If I were you I'd learn to write a decent insult. And yes the Pinto is a piece of crap just like most Fords. On the other hand Chevrolets, Dodges, Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs, and anything made by GM or Chrysler will prove to be a damned good vehicle. I had a Pontiac at 110,000 Miles that has only had the A/C go out in that entire mileage. I had an Oldsmobile that went 150,000 Miles before the I lost 4th Gear. Then again I got that thing up to 130 MPH before I blew the Tranny. At 40,000 Miles my Chevy has yet to have a breakdown other than a dead battery. My mom owned a Nissan. My Dad owned a Honda and both had nothing but problems. The Nissan had electrical problems that caused it to break down at anytime anywhere. The Honda broke its timing belt and then it broke again only 1,000 miles later. The first time the valves were all replaced. The second time he just junked the piece of Japaneese Crap.

As for American made that is a bunch of BS. My Chevy was made in New Jersey. Some Chevys are made just over the Canadian Border a la Camaro and are just as good. Then again unlike Toyota it is still an American company. Mitsubishi has a Factory in America to produce vehicles, but would you consider a Montero to be an American Vehicle. Hell No.

A good old American Vehicle will save your life someday and you will buy American forever.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Tundra ranks #1 I think in crash test, seen on network news, they showed one plow something and barely any damage, while another truck buckled in half and bent the driveshaft.

As to the american company profit...General Motors Delphi is supplying batterys and radiators.

Toyota has the best warranty in the market...
12 month-12,500 mile adjustment
3yr-36,000 mile bumper to bumper
5yr-60,000 power train I think it is
Emmissions that goes farther than most, up to 80,000?? Try to emmission on your FORD or Dodge after 2yr........
Also have a rust perforation, don't recall just yet, but maybe 6yr-not sure of mileage, check the dealer for specifics, I can repost later with the newest correct numbers.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 1:58:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Let's see...Lexus-derived V8 (has been on Wards Auto Week's "10 Best Engines" list since year one) versus a torqueless small V8 or a Mexican-built large V8 left over from the early 70's...

Bulletproof reliabilty versus barely-average dependability (and that's on a good build date!).

View Quote

The Tacoma has a V-6, the Tundra has a V-8.

The Dakota can be had with a 4.7L SOHC V-8 generating 230hp & 295lb-ft.  OR an old
pushrod 5.9L  V-8 with 250hp & 345lb-ft.

I agree with your reliability assessment.

Link Posted: 9/29/2001 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Tacoma
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 5:20:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Tacoma, jobs for Japanese executives & southern rednecks.

Dakota, jobs for German executives and Mexicans.

I know I will have to pay much more up front for the Toyota, but less down the road.

Pay me now, or pay me later.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 6:24:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I just had the emissions on my 2 1/2 year old Dodge checked.  They were actually better than new.  So, there goes that load of BS.
View Quote

TRY TO GET WARRANTY ON YOUR EMISSIONS PARTS, You only get 2yr warranty there!!  We give 5yr. We may be up to 8yr/80, need to re-check new model warranties.
Our BS smells a lot like fresh air, HA HA HA HA.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 6:45:05 AM EDT
[#31]
I've had real good luck with my 97 Toyota Tacoma.  I had a really bad experience with a Dodge car several years ago and will never buy another(poor dealer service).  I get about 18 mpg with mine(I used to get around 23 mpg before I put the larger 31" tires on it)  I have  the 4 cylinder and it has plenty of power for what I use it for. Make sure and get the extended cab.  Incidently, I too owned a Nissan Pathfinder before I bought the Tacoma and loved it.  Great all-around vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 8:28:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top