Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2001 4:34:03 PM EDT
My first post [:D]

I bought my first AR in June and have been loving it.  It's a Bushmaster Shorty Carbine with the AK Muzzle break (Post Ban).  Now, the muzzle break makes the thing really loud.  I'm thinking if I ever had to use my AR in a SHTF/Home defense situation (especially indoor) My hearing may suffer BIG TIME.

My questions are:

1)should I just get a new barrel and change it out or go for a whole new upper?

2)If I just change out the barrel can I go "Barrel Only" or should I get the whole kit?
("Barrel Only" icludes the barrel, nut handguard cap, and front site the whole thing adds the gas tube, handguards, shields and delta ring) Basically I ned to know if I change just the barrel will anything else need to be replaced.

3)Heavy barrel or M4 type? (pro's and con's of each)

Thank you in advanced.

(and I've heard that Barrels are in demand for full rifles and I may have to wait a while to do this.  I figure I'd get some feed back now before my Christmas Wishlist needs to be made up)
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#1]
You might check with TAPCO. I think they sell a sleeve to fit over the Bushie brake to stop the blast...
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks NoName, you just saved me 200-500 bucks [:D]

Hopefully this works
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:44:38 PM EDT
[#3]
If I were you, I would send it to someone like Kurt's Kustom and have them take off the AK brake and put on an A2 look-a-like muzzle brake.  That would only cost you about $40-$50 and you would have both a funtioning muzzle brake and it would look good, as well.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 6:00:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#5]
VA_Nut, I was planning to get a whole new barrel without one, not replace the muzzlebreak,
seeing how this silly ban keeps me from simply unscrewing an unwanted muzzlebreak. (BTT)

However, I'll try this sleeve first and see how it does.

Still I'd like to know the difference between a standard heavy barrel and an M4 type.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I have not heard of reports that Kurt's MB causes the same kind of viscious noise that the AK brake does.  Can anybody confirm/deny?

Tate
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 11:13:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Flip,
Here's a quick-fix for you:
[url]http://www.tapco.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=MB09001&variation=&aitem=23&mitem=38&back=yes[/url]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 11:37:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Flip,
Here's a quick-fix for you:
[url]http://www.tapco.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=MB09001&variation=&aitem=23&mitem=38&back=yes[/url]
View Quote

Thanks Who.  Been there, done that, should be here by next week [bounce]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 8:51:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I bought my first AR in June and have been loving it.  It's a Bushmaster Shorty Carbine with the AK Muzzle break (Post Ban).
View Quote

Since your rifle has a muzzle break, I suggest you send it back to Bushmaster warranty repair.  What I want to know is why anyone would buy a gun with a muzzle break.  How did it get broken?  Who broke it?  And why haven't you gotten it fixed yet?

Sheesh...
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:08:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought my first AR in June and have been loving it.  It's a Bushmaster Shorty Carbine with the AK Muzzle break (Post Ban).
View Quote

Since your rifle has a muzzle break, I suggest you send it back to Bushmaster warranty repair.  What I want to know is why anyone would buy a gun with a muzzle break.  How did it get broken?  Who broke it?  And why haven't you gotten it fixed yet?

Sheesh...
View Quote

I bought the rifle with a muzzle break:

1) on a friend's recommendation
2) it was an impulse buy.  I saw, had to have, bought.
3) the only other AR's there were either Olympic or 20 inchers.

I never said it was broken, I was worried about the noise it made, in the eventually that I would have to use it in defense without ear protection.  Originally I was going with intending to either get a new barrel without the compensator or get a new upper. depending on the difficulty of swapping barrels.  That was the original purpose of my post. (btt)
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#12]
BRAKE!BRAKE!BRAKE!BRAKE!BRAKE!BRAKE!Look it up in the dictionary!
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
BRAKE!BRAKE!BRAKE!BRAKE!BRAKE!BRAKE!Look it up in the dictionary!
View Quote

Sorry, My appologies, "Muzzle brake"

Try decaf [peep]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 12:22:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Try decaf
View Quote

Try English.  [:P]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Try decaf
View Quote

Try English.  [:P]
View Quote

ha-ha......

yeah, what steel rat said........

cant believe he didnt pick up on the sarcasm of the other post either...
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Guys,

Give the newbie a break (brake?)![;)]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I would be willing to bet that if you ever used your AR in a home defense situation that you probably wouldn't notice the sound when you shot it. After it was all over with I doubt you would even remember hearing the shots. When the adrenaline is pumping you don't notice stuff like that, just ask any hunter.

Michael
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top