Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2001 7:01:00 PM EDT
I'm interested in getting a Garand through CMP. The Gun Club I'm a member of is already a CMP affiliate, so I got that end covered.

Now the questions:

Should I get a complete one, or should I just get a receiver, or a receiver barrel? I'm wondering if I will have to replace everything else anyway, so I should save money now.
Should I get it remade in .308? Do they make clips for that? Or is it better to stay in 30-06? Is there a big difference in ammo prices? Where can I find either size clips?

Any help appreciated.

Link Posted: 9/22/2001 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll break it down for you.
First, the clips are the same. Get the complete rifle. I have seen many CMP rifles and they are coming in pretty nice shape. You shouldn't have to replace anything. The wood may be a little boogered up, but you can live with that. If not get the rifle minus the wood, you will have to get a sock set and stock metal which will put you over the $500.00 price for the whole gun but the rifle will look much nicer with a new Boyd's stock. I would keep it in .30-06 until the supplies of surplus .30.06(aka M-2 ball) runs out. Who knows when that will be? Surplus .30-06 comes in sporadically. Lately there has been a lot coming in from Yugoslavia. As for the price comparison, it's hard to say since I can't remember what I paid the last time I bought .30-06, suffice to say the surplus .30-06 is a little more expensive than surplus .308. You can find clips just about any place that sells magazines. Look for them for around .50 cents a piece then buy as many as you can afford. Freds sells complete repack kits for $7.00 each (six pocket bandoleer, card boards and clips). The CMP has great customer service, if you have a problem(i.e. bad parts, broken/cracked stock) they will take care of it post haste. Example, I ordered a few M-1 parts including a clip latch, they sent me a pitted piece of crap( not supposed to) I called them and told them what I got and they sent me a like new one , no questions asked and did not want the other one returned. I ordered some M-14 parts including a nylon sling. I was billed for it but it wasn't in the box with the rest of the stuff. I sent them an e-mail and the sent me an unissued sling, no questions asked. A buddy of mine got his rifle and the hand guards were cracked, they sent him a complete stock set that was in very nice shape, again no questions asked and no request for return of the bad parts. You can't go wrong with the CMP.
One more thing, if you're new to M-1's get Scott Duffs M-1 Garand owners guide( Fulton, Orion 7, U.S. Arsenal etc.). It's everything you will need to know about the care and feeding of your rifle.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 7:55:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The least expensive route is to get a complete rifle, either a service grade $519.95 or a danish $ 419.95. I've gotten 4 danes" they can be hit and miss on condition", 2 were exc to new condition, one was a but-ugly Winchester and the other a finicky SA in ok shape. All the service grades have been realllllly nice. As for caliber, 06 is plentifull at the time and cheap through the CMP when available.308 M1's work fine but I would recommend it be professionally put together by Orion7 or equiv outfit as 308 M1 can be finicky to get working ! And the clips work with 06 and 308...
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 9:28:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 9:38:25 PM EDT
[#5]
DVDTracker, what grade is your Garand?
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 10:15:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I went and got a Danish, and it came with a spanking brand new barrel. Well, it gauged less than one. I'd recommend getting complete rifles unless you're going to build a "match" rifle. Even then, you'll have spare parts for future projects or to sell or trade for other parts.
To change from a 30.06 to .308 will take a barrel, spacer, and you may have to open the clips up a bit. The .308 is shorter but a little fatter.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 11:26:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 5:48:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Service grade
View Quote

Wow, so that is the $500 one. It sure is pretty.
[:)]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 8:10:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all your response guys! Looks like I get a complete rifle and leave it in '06. Where's a good place to get parts if I need them?
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#10]
For parts check out Chestnut Ridge Supply

[url]http://www.chestnutridge.com/[/url]

I've bought a bunch of stuff from them over the years with good results. They also usually make it to the bigger PA gunshows.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I would keep it in .30-06 until the supplies of surplus .30.06(aka M-2 ball) runs out. Who knows when that will be? Surplus .30-06 comes in sporadically.
View Quote

Not familiar with the Garands or the .30-06 caliber and wonder if any .30-06 will work or must you use surplus M-2 ball?
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Get spare parts from the CMP too.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#13]
How much money you got to spend? You can get a mix match of service grade, Danish and barreled receivers if yo got the moneys. CMP has made it so the average guy can pretty much set himself up in the M1 business. You cannot go wrong with a Service grade rifle, M1 .30 Cal. For $519.95 you will get a serviceable weapon delivered to your door in about 3 weeks. This is the same rifle that wouuld have been issued to some GI right out of the arms room. My Service Grade Springfield, S/N 34773XX arrived in pristine condition, having been rearsenaled at Rock Island Armory sometime in '53-54' and put to bed. As far as the M1 Rifle goes, purchase whatever you can afford then set yourself up to reload your own M2 ammo, You cannot go wrong, it is the same as money in the bank.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#14]
What spare parts should one stock for the M1 Garand?

I won't be using my as my primary rifle, but I could certainly see loaning it to a teammate, and would like the parts needed to support it.

BTW - I've been buying 250 round cases of linked black tip AP ammo for $60.  Makes me happy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would keep it in .30-06 until the supplies of surplus .30.06(aka M-2 ball) runs out. Who knows when that will be? Surplus .30-06 comes in sporadically.
View Quote

Not familiar with the Garands or the .30-06 caliber and wonder if any .30-06 will work or must you use surplus M-2 ball?
View Quote

I can't say for all M 1's, but my Garand will take any 30-06 shell straight off the shelf.  I have had no problems using ball, hunting, or tracer ammo.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:42:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Commercial .30-06 will work in the M-1. There may be a difference in pressure from military stuff. The rifle was designed to use the military loads. Military issue surplus is recommended and preferred. If you use commercial .30-06 don't use the "light magnum" stuff in any semi auto.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Buy the complete rifle.  If you want to have it converted to .308 it can be done with a re-barrel.  I recommend the Wilson barrel if you go that route.  I have two .308 Garands and one of them shoots fantastic.  The other shoots great but has a cycling problem I need to resolve.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top